Old October 19th 03, 08:00 AM
Michael Brown

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
"Michael Brown" writes:

the case temp as well, and possibly the ambient temp if you're in
some place

And don't just say "ambient temp", because that can mean the air
surrounding the case or the air surrounding the CPU/HSF (or the air
surrounding anything else, strickly speaking). (I base this statement
on the definition of "ambient" and having recently read some Intel doc
that used "ambient" to refer to the air surrounding the CPU/HSF).

(Presuming your definition of ambient temp is the temperature outside the
system, thermodynamically speaking)

True, I hadn't actually thought of that Ambient for the HSF/CPU system
would be the case temperature, and for the computer as a whole would be the
room temperature. So I suppose strictly speaking, if the post was only
concerned about the HSF (as in the Intel document I presume) then ambient
would be case, and if it mentioned things like case fans, etc then it would
be the room temperature. So I agree, it's best to explicitly say case or
room temperatures.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more