Old October 18th 03, 11:43 PM
\(\) |V| 3 G A

i fully agree with you mike on this.

however some/most mobo manufactures dont use the onchip temp sensor and use
a socket based temp sensor. so untill ALL manufactures use the chip's sensor
then i think your living in a dream world.

tim
"Michael Brown" wrote in message
OK, maybe I'm sounding a little like Wes on this, but I wish people would
stop reporting socket temps for comparisons between systems. It's useless.
If you *must* post socket temps, only do it with regard to changes you

make
to your system.

Saying "changing from HSF A to HSF B leads to a drop in my socket temps,

so
HSF B is better" is fine (assuming both were put on correctly, etc) and
actually has some meaningful information.

Saying "system A gets socket temperature B with HSF C, and system X gets
socket temperature Y with HSF Z (where Y B) so HSF Z is better" is

totaly
devoid of any information at all, so don't even bother mentioning it.

Also, if mention any temperatures, say what they are! If they are socket,
say socket. If they are core, say core. Do *not* say "CPU" temperatures.

Say
the case temp as well, and possibly the ambient temp if you're in some

place
where room temperature is not somewhere around 20 deg C (eg: Antartica,
Sahara desert[*]).

I can't force you to do this (unfortunately ) but for the sake of
increasing the signal-to-noise ratio of this group, please be sensible

when
talking about temperatures.

[*] Yes, I know the Sahara gets freakin' freezing at night, that's

partially
my point

--
Michael Brown