Old January 6th 05, 03:07 AM
N9WOS

"Zip" wrote in message ...
I recently installed an old Maxtor 7120AT into my AMD 2800+ machine running
Win XP. The machine correctly identifies the Maxtor drive as a slave, and
mounts it on the file system as drive F:. The control panel reports this
device as a "Maxtor 7120 AT". When I open the F drive in Windows, the drive
is reported as having a capacity of 123 MB (correct), 8 MB free (seems
correct) and FAT (it was running Windows 3.11). However, no files can be
found on the drive when exploring from Windows. The directory of F: from
the command line:

F:\dir
Volume in drive F has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 1D91-5DCC

Directory of F:\

05/31/1994 06:22 AM 54,645 COMMAND.COM
1 File(s) 54,645 bytes
0 Dir(s) 8,513,536 bytes free

Any ideas as to what I can do to troubleshoot this? I'd like to think that
someone on this drive there are over 100 MB of files to find, other than
command.com

(Smiles...)
That's a problem that even I can figure out... :-)
(I have had that problem.)

It's a compressed drive.
Compressed with "drive space" or some other program.
You could get to it with an old boot floppy with the "drive space" system
files on it.
(or what ever files is needed by the compression system used)

Put a third clean 200+MB hard drive in with a fat 16 partition.
Boot with the drive space (or other) driver enabled boot disk.
Copy the data off the compressed second drive, to the non compressed third
drive.
Then reboot win xp and get access to the non compressed files.

I don't know what type of support win xp has for mounting compressed drive
volumes.
The other people here should be able tell you that info.

The 8MB, or so, free space, is the uncompressed space that drive space
reserves for critical drivers that can't be put in a compressed volume.