Old August 23rd 08, 02:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skipai Otter[_2_]

Default What is wrong with Vista and video drivers?

"root" wrote in message
I have installed various versions of the nvidia driver for the 8800gts

many times and the same problem occurs each time. If I can set the
resolutions I need (not possible on all driver versions), they are gone next
time I boot vista. My target is 1920x1440 for the display, and 1920x1080 for
the HDTV. I have been able to set the resolutions correctly many times, but
only for a day or so, and then on reboot the system resets them down to a
lower value. I am unable to reset them. My monitor is stuck again at
1600x1200, and the HDTV mode is 720P. I know all about the advanced
settings, show all modes, driver cleaner, etc. etc. I see no point in trying
any more drivers, and this is all tech support can suggest. There is
something fundamentally wrong with Vista or the way the driver is programmed
to interact with the system. I'm currently on 177.83.

I use the same hardware on XP, in a dual boot configuration, and the

resolutions are correct and stable.

Maybe it's probably because the 8xxx series isn't exactly HDCP compatible
and Vista will have to lower the resolution due to the DRM inside the thing.
Of course this could be wrong but one possible possibility.

--
Skipai