Old June 22nd 06, 01:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Fedora Core 5 on Compaq Proliant 2500

wrote:

I ran XWindows last night and it worked great, but when I logged out, I
got an error that the system had crashed out of the interface and it
hung up the system.

Now that I'm on RH9, I ran an apt update/upgrade and d/l 161 updates.
That took nearly an hour, so I went to bed. Tonight I plan to attempt
a kernal upgrade. Then I want to begin the RH9 to FC1 upgrade.

Steve

Compaq video cards usually have modified firmware and have great
difficulty working with the linux provided drivers. I have had to
disable the CPQ integrated video and stuff in a standard display card
to get X working on other systems. I usually use the "text" parameter
when installing linux on a server to avoid having to deal with
windowing programs and CPQ video cards.

A point to consider is: why try to run a CPQ 2500 as a workstation? A
server class machine will run quite nicely at init 3 and there are
quite nice management programs (i.e. webmin, vnc, etc) that can give
you a GUI console without putting additional overhead on the server.