Old June 13th 06, 11:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Latest Ebay purchase

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

(Speaking of a proliant 7000)

that would be on UNECONOMICAL BEAST to run ... consider selling internal
organs, or mortaging any children you might have to cover the electrical
bill to operatat this thing ... also, i would not recommend hosting this
anywhere that makes you pay by the U ....

it has an SA4350 Controller (3 x internal channels, 1 for each drive cage),
so all 18drives can be part of the same logical volume. If its a Xeon ...
all the better. It would make a nice DB system, or possibly email server ...
thats about it.

whats freight running you on that beast ?

$139.79, so it's really a $150 box.

A while back I had a client in my lab and he saw my existing stack
of a 7000 and a 5500R. Later, after I had done several hundred
hours of consulting work for him at $100/hour, he told me that my
PC was a big factor in choosing me. Irrational, but the cash didn't
seem to be any less green because of it.

I am planning on stacking two 7000 chassis, with the top one gutted
except for the drives/backplane which will be controlled by the
bottom one. I am going to put in a modern motherboard with quad
SLI and either two Pentium Core duos or whaterver AMD comes up with.
Why? Because it sounds like fun. Add a cusom paint job and I can
make the "Readers Rigs" section of Maximum PC! grin