Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: BW[_4_]
Forum: Intel May 19th 13, 03:59 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 3
Posted By BW[_4_]
Haswell CPU needs new power supply?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20130430230347_Intel_Core_i_Haswell_Microprocessors_May_Require_New_Power_Supply_Units_for_PCs.html

Brilliant, Intel.
Is this going to stop the decline in...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 17th 13, 11:33 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By BW[_4_]
solar flare resistant PC cases ?

On May 17, 6:30*am, Loren Pechtel wrote:

It won't work--you've got a nice antenna feeding the power into the
drive--namely, the USB cable.

He is not operating them in...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 16th 13, 12:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By BW[_4_]
solar flare resistant PC cases ?

A friend of mine keeps his USB drives in biscuit tins, to protect
against a monster solar flare.
He said there were flares in 1859 and 1921 that would have crippled
lots of electronic devices, and...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 14th 13, 04:59 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Replies: 1
Posted By BW[_4_]
do 2560x1080 displays have an alphabetic *GA name yet?

Most resolutions have a designation such as WXGA, QXGA, WSVGA, HD et
cetera.
I have only seen the 2580x1080 referred to as "wide HD" or "ultrawide"
in some reviews
and adverts.
Has VESA or whoever...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 10th 13, 01:51 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By BW[_4_]
Dusty PC from a Pentium 3 Pictures

On 6 Apr, 22:50, Gabriel Knight wrote:
I had to clean a PC from a video shop running win98 it had no rear fan
so it got a little dusty since it was in the shop for about 7 years...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 10th 13, 01:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By BW[_4_]
can't read CD for SunOS

I have a CD-ROM made for SunOS 4 (BSD based). I didn't want the
software on it (which is 20 years old),
but a sample dataset therein. I am unable to read it. Windows does
not see the CD. In Ubuntu,...
Forum: Intel April 6th 13, 01:16 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 4
Posted By BW[_4_]
Can a Pentium-4 CPU partially fail? (internal cache performance degradation)

On Mar 25, 9:30*am, Intel Guy wrote:
I see this from the wiki article on Pentiums:

--------
Overclocking early stepping Northwood cores yielded a startling
phenomenon. While...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 6th 13, 01:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By BW[_4_]
Extra ram in dual channel mode

On Apr 2, 2:45*am, Paul wrote:
cycle, giving an entire cycle for Tsetup.

On older RAM technologies (PC3200), there is a more significant
penalty with added bus loading....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 18th 13, 11:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By BW[_4_]
Google's 'Magic Ring' Could Kill the Password

On Mar 15, 7:12*am, RayLopez99 wrote:
On Friday, March 15, 2013 4:36:01 AM UTC+8, Metspitzer wrote:
Google is researching a way to kill the password, this time with a

Forum: General February 26th 13, 09:07 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 9
Posted By BW[_4_]
DDR-1 2 gig

On Feb 8, 9:23*am, philo* philo@priv cy.not wrote:
In my spare parts bin I seem to have a lot of 2 gig sticks of DDR-1

I'm a computer re-builder and must have at least 20 machines in my
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 2nd 13, 02:38 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By BW[_4_]
LCD monitor lasted 8 years

I have been using an LG L2010P monitor since 2005. (Reason being that
I have one particular stupid software
package that was hardwired for 1600x1200 resolution.)
Anyway the backlight has been going...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 26th 12, 09:50 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Posted By BW[_4_]
always hide your backups!

Some villains broke in through laundry window. House behind has been
vacant for 2 weeks, so
they wouldn't have been seen.
They grabbed my wife's laptop. She backs it up onto a 128GB thumb
drive, but...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 16th 12, 03:07 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By BW[_4_]
LGA-775 DDR3, new motherboards?

On 19 Nov, 04:01, John Doe wrote:
I'm noticing some LGA-775 DDR3 motherboards. Are these new
motherboards, to satisfy lots of old Core 2 Quad (LGA-775) users
that want...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 16th 12, 02:59 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By BW[_4_]
OT Latest Firefox incompatible with Amazon?

On 1 Dec, 09:25, John Doe wrote:
Windows PC.

Amazon is malfunctioning while using Firefox 17. There is no "add
to cart" and other buttons. Amazon works fine in...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 16th 12, 02:50 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By BW[_4_]
PC runs V E R Y S L O W after coming out of retirement

I got out an old PC from broom closet.It has Gigabyte 965P mainboard,
Core 2 2666 and DDR2 667 RAM.
Now it is amazingly slow. I have a home-theatre PC also with 965
chipset, but only an 1866 MHz CPU...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 30th 12, 11:59 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By BW[_4_]
DMS-59 connector - a trap for young players

I wanted a graphics card with dual output, and saw one on eeeeebay
rather cheap.
When it arrived, it had one DMS-59 connector. I should have know
better when picture says
something like "for...
Showing results 1 to 16 of 16