Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
Search took 0.15 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jason Stacy
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 21st 09, 07:57 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Jason Stacy
Should Core 2 Duo CPU not be theoretically slower than single core with double MHz?

I wonder why a two-core CPU with lets say 2 * 1.7 Mhz is theoretically faster
than a single core with 3.4 MHz. I am NOT talking about additional features like
Pipeling and Hyperthreading but the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 20th 09, 10:54 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Replies: 1
Posted By Jason Stacy
USB bootable maker: Diff between "HP Drive Key Boot Utility" and "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool"?

As far as I found out there two different tools for making an USB stick bootable:

"HP Drive Key Boot Utility"

and

"HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool"

What is the difference between them?
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 20th 09, 07:19 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Replies: 0
Posted By Jason Stacy
How many motherboards are actually bootable from USB stick?

Recently I had a discussion about how many of the motherboards are actually bootable from
USB stick.

So I ask you.

If you look on all the motherboards which are sold in lets say the last 3...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 2nd 09, 04:39 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Replies: 1
Posted By Jason Stacy
Are S-ATA hard discs hot pluggable when motherboard is powered on?

My motherboard A8N offers 2 S-ATA slots and some more IDE slots.

Assume a first hard disc (with my OS) is already running and the (Asus A8N) motherboard powered on:
Can I hot plug (in or out) a...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 10th 08, 10:08 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Replies: 1
Posted By Jason Stacy
Restrict used physical memory from 2 to 1 GB (for testing purposes)?

Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 21st 08, 09:11 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Replies: 3
Posted By Jason Stacy
Why does unplugging USB stick WITHOUT dismount destroys always data?

According to the USB specification I should always be able to unplug an USB stick
from my computers without having arsik to loose data.

But this is not the case.

Whenever I copy something onto my...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 20th 08, 12:27 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.os.linux.hardware
Replies: 17
Posted By Jason Stacy
Can a (second) hard disc consist of only 1 extended/logical partition? Or is at least one primary necessary?

Assume I have a second hard disc in my system.
Can I put only one extended/logical partiton on it?

or is at least one primary partition per hard disc necessary?

J.
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 17th 08, 07:43 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Replies: 7
Posted By Jason Stacy
Does an external USB hard disc need at least one primary partition ?

I bought a new external hard disc which I plan to connect through USB in order to backup
some of my files/directories.

Before using I must create some partitions. Now I am wondering wether I need at...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 16th 08, 08:51 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Replies: 7
Posted By Jason Stacy
Why are often front USB slots inactive?

It occured several times that I plugged in an USB stick
into one of the USB slots at the front side of various desktop computers.
WinXP told me "USB device not correctly installed" or something...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 5th 08, 07:10 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Replies: 0
Posted By Jason Stacy
How can I force an app to be completely hold in physical memory ?

I upgraded the physical memory of my notebook from 1 GB to 2 GB.
Now there should be enough memory to hold certain apps completely in physical memory.
Unfortunately I have to notice that 60% of the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 21st 07, 10:41 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 0
Posted By Jason Stacy
What is required to use DDR2 DualChannel im memory modules ? How much more speed can I expt?

I am planning to upgrade/change my notebook to new DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM modules.

I have heard that DualChannel capable memory modules could speed up the computer significantly.

Is this true?
How much...
Forum: Asus Motherboards January 6th 07, 06:39 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.linux.hardware
Replies: 0
Posted By Jason Stacy
What is better Athlon XP or Athlon 64 ? Binary incompatibilities ?

Which CPU needs less power and hence produces less heat:

Athlon XP or Athon 64 ?

Sorry for this newbie question: Are all programs which run on Athlon XP
able to run on Athlon 64 as well or are...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 3rd 07, 05:12 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware
Replies: 25
Posted By Jason Stacy
Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:

512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
and
512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz

Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
In other words...
Forum: Asus Motherboards January 3rd 07, 05:12 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Jason Stacy
Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:

512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
and
512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz

Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
In other words...
Forum: Asus Motherboards December 2nd 06, 06:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Replies: 3
Posted By Jason Stacy
What is the difference between the motherboard models ASRock K7VT4A, K7VT4A+ and K7VT4A Pro ?

As in the subject line already asked:

What is the difference between the motherboard models ASRock K7VT4A, K7VT4A+ and K7VT4A Pro ?

J.
Forum: General December 2nd 06, 06:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Replies: 0
Posted By Jason Stacy
What is the difference between the motherboard models ASRock K7VT4A, K7VT4A+ and K7VT4A Pro ?

As in the subject line already asked:

What is the difference between the motherboard models ASRock K7VT4A, K7VT4A+ and K7VT4A Pro ?

J.
Forum: General November 29th 06, 04:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Replies: 0
Posted By Jason Stacy
Quality of ASRock motherboards ? / Is ASRock the same as Elitegroup (ECS) ?

Do ASRock offer motherboards with good quality in general ?

Is "ASRock" the new brand of Elitegroup?

I ask because I am interested in buying the ASRock K7VT4A(+) Pro motherboard
and the naming...
Forum: General November 29th 06, 01:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard
Replies: 1
Posted By Jason Stacy
Does an Athlon XP mobile really need much less power than a "normal" Athlon XP ?

I heard that an Athlon XP mobile need much less power than a "normal" Athlon XP.
That would mean the cooling fan could be smaller resp. could run at a more silent speed.
Is this true?

How much power...
Showing results 1 to 18 of 18