Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
Search took 1.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Brad
Forum: General June 20th 08, 02:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Brad
Slow Down CPU

Hi,

I have two WinBook XL2 laptops with Windows 98se. Most of the time, I use
them off line (off the Web) and I don't need the CPU running at full speed
(400Mhz). The problem is the noisy fan...
Forum: General June 2nd 08, 03:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 0
Posted By Brad
Formatting a 20G HDD, One Partition, With Small Size Clusters

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I decided to partition the HDD into two 10G partitions which resulted in
8K clusters after each partition was formatted. The second partition...
Forum: General May 30th 08, 12:35 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Brad
Formatting a 20G HDD, One Partition, With Small Size Clusters

Hi,

I installed a 20G HDD in my Windows 98se computer. With one partition,
I formatted it. The results is 16K byte clusters. With a FAT32 system,
a 32 bit number ("index") can represent...
Forum: General February 21st 07, 01:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Brad
UPDATE: Dead Compaq Armada 4210T Laptop (more details)

Hi,

Part of the internal DC-DC inverter (SMPS) is not "running" which I assume
powers the drives (HDD and floppy), etc. There are three transformers and
using a scope with a pickup loop, one of...
Forum: General February 16th 07, 01:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Brad
Dead Compaq Armada 4210T Laptop (more details)

Hi,
My brother gave me his "dead" Compaq Armada 4210T laptop to repair.
I normally service TVs and other stuff. With fully charged battery, when
I turn it on (push power button), almost...
Forum: General February 14th 07, 09:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Brad
Dead Compaq Armada 4210T Laptop

Hi Rod,

With the battery removed, same thing. I had tried that already. Remember,
I am a service technician.

The fact that Ctrl and power button (manual says to do this if power won't
go off)...
Forum: General February 13th 07, 06:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Brad
Dead Compaq Armada 4210T Laptop

Hi,
My brother gave me his "dead" Compaq Armada 4210T laptop to repair.
I normally service TVs and other stuff. With fully charged battery,
absolutely nothing (no hard disk spin or floppy...
Forum: General February 7th 07, 12:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Brad
UPDATE: Most Common Problem With Floppy Disk Drives

Hi,

One problem floppy drive in a laptop, I hear a "wine" noise (belt slip)
during an attempt to read a floppy. I removed the floppy drive and checked
it. I removed the belt and cleaned it...
Forum: General January 24th 07, 12:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 6
Posted By Brad
Most Common Problem With Floppy Disk Drives

Hi,

I have three computers that developed problems with reading floppy disks.
Note: This problem occurred at a different time for each computer.

What is the most common problem with floppy...
Forum: General October 21st 06, 04:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Brad
Install Printer Driver Without Win98 System CD

Hi,

I bought an older HP "Laser Jet" 6L printer at a yard sale.
This printer connects to the parallel port (no USB) and that is just
fine since I am using a Windows 98 desktop computer. I...
Forum: General September 28th 06, 06:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 0
Posted By Brad
UPDATE: Mystery Dial Up (long time "Logging on to network")

Hi,

Thanks to everyone (especially Charlie R) who responded. I tried glee's
procedure in part, there was no "Quick Logon" in mine. It didn't work.

I used the link (see below) presented...
Forum: General September 27th 06, 06:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Brad
Mystery Dial Up (long time "Logging on to network")

Hi,

I recently bought a used Toshiba "Satellite" 2105CDS (WIN98se) laptop.
After I downloaded the drivers for this model from Toshiba's site, I formatted
the HDD and installed Win98SE (not from a...
Forum: General September 22nd 06, 09:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Brad
Mystery Laptop Problem, Compaq Presario 1060

Hi,

The laptop had a "stroke" while I was using it. Note: Windows booted up just
fine, then something happened. Everything "froze" and there was no response
to any input. I had to turn off the...
Forum: General September 21st 06, 01:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Brad
Mystery Laptop Problem, Compaq Presario 1060

Hi,

Sorry I forgot to mention that I thoroughly cleaned both drives and
I do not smoke (very bad for your health).

INTERESTING FLOPPY DRIVE TEST:

I used a program called "Sector...
Forum: General September 19th 06, 07:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Brad
Mystery Laptop Problem, Compaq Presario 1060

Hi,

Mystery problem with Compaq Presario 1060 Laptop.

Note: I service TVs, etc., rarely service a computer.

PROBLEM (Hard Disk Drive is fine):

On the same day (no storm and it...
Showing results 1 to 15 of 15