Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.33 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Paul[_28_]
Forum: General June 13th 21, 10:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller might be bad for privacyand effect your hardware

Norm Why wrote:
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller might be bad for privacy
AFAIK it operates at the block/device layer, not the file system layer,
I'd be surprised if it's responsible...
Forum: General June 13th 21, 10:39 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller might be bad for privacyand effect your hardware

Norm Why wrote:

Microsoft Storage Spaces Control can not be turned off in Win10 (its new)
and there are no settings for it.

Did you check Device Manager ?

See if there's an item by that...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 13th 21, 01:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Something weird going on with DreamPC from 2006, bad smell comingfrom heatsink on north bridge chip ?

skybuck2000 wrote:
New hypothesis:

Short version:

"Flaw in the design of the NFORCE4 northbridge chip"
"It cannot handle DUAL PCI Express traffic and will OVERHEAT".

I haven't even...
Forum: General June 13th 21, 06:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller might be bad for privacyand effect your hardware

Norm Why wrote:
Hi,

Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller might be bad for privacy and effect your
hardware.

In my last reply here I explained how I am recovering from some bad PC
Forum: General June 5th 21, 03:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Terrible time with email corruption

Norm Why wrote:
Hi All,

I've had a lot trouble with email. On closer inspection one test email
showed a character error in address: E.g.

should be...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards May 19th 21, 10:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 3
Posted By Paul[_28_]
OpenGL driver loading abnoxiously slow. (Toshiba laptop L6702012/Intel/AMD/RadeON)

skybuck2000 wrote:
For some reason on the toshiba laptop from 2012 the opengl driver loads very slowly. (Toshiba laptop L670 2012/Intel/AMD/RadeON)

So slow that I believed the application...
Forum: General May 6th 21, 12:09 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By Paul[_28_]
HDD vs. SSD

wrote:
Exact make and model number, please.

From device manager :

KINGSTON SA400S37240G

OK, inconvenience. No link to toolbox. Not a problem.
Forum: General April 28th 21, 06:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By Paul[_28_]
HDD vs. SSD

wrote:
I think it was Kingston but not sure.

It's buried so deep within my hardware, as to make examination not worth the trouble.

I appreciate responses...
Forum: General April 24th 21, 07:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By Paul[_28_]
HDD vs. SSD

wrote:
SSD has Toolbox software, and will tell you "Percent Life".

I have no idea how to access this if it's there. Certainly not anything obvious.

Exact make...
Forum: General April 24th 21, 06:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By Paul[_28_]
HDD vs. SSD

wrote:
I have a 10 year old Dell that came with an approx 960 GB HDD.
3 years ago I added an approx 240 GB SSD to serve as C: and D: ,
and elevated the HDD as F:...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 24th 21, 08:00 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Looking for a new flat UPS battery with a real-time on screendisplay, easy replaceable battery, etc.

Ant wrote:
Hello.

I have a decade old APC Back-UPS ES-750(BE750G) with its old replaced
dead battery #2. Since it's a very old model, I want to see if there's a
better one out there. I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 22nd 21, 10:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Dust warning for telecommunication companies

skybuck2000 wrote:
Hello my dear telecommunication companies ! =D

It is only fair that I give you a warning about your bussinessszzzz ! :)

Because of the Corona Crisis more people work at...
Forum: General April 11th 21, 12:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Gigabyte BIOS Upgrade F11b BETA solved a lot of diffuse hardwareproblems

Norm Why wrote:
Using that tool, '(05) Reallocated Sector Count' was displayed for the
500GB Samsung EVO SSD, but not for the 500 GB Seagate Barracuda SSD.
It's connected to a...
Forum: General April 11th 21, 03:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Gigabyte BIOS Upgrade F11b BETA solved a lot of diffuse hardwareproblems

Norm Why wrote:
A 'lot of diffuse hardware problems' is a story too long to recite. I
was
reluctant to upgrade to a BETA BIOS. When I did I thought I'd bricked
the machine....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 10th 21, 06:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Paul[_28_]
PC occasionally freezing

Larc wrote:
On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 09:02:09 -0400, Paul wrote:

| Once upon a time, in a land far far away, there were VRMs.
|
| This is the VCore voltage regulator....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 9th 21, 12:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Bitrot

Flasherly wrote:
Beyond variances between NAND type and design, for JEDEC claims
interpretively given unrefreshed SSD memory, within an inoperable
stasis for an least affected, pure state of...
Forum: General April 8th 21, 05:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware

Norm Why wrote:
A 'lot of diffuse hardware problems' is a story too long to recite. I was
reluctant to upgrade to a BETA BIOS. When I did I thought I'd bricked the
machine. After a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 8th 21, 02:02 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Paul[_28_]
PC occasionally freezing

Larc wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 15:54:06 -0500, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

| Can't think of much offhand, but you might try unplugging and reseatting
| all connectors including...
Forum: General April 8th 21, 08:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Gigabyte BIOS Upgrade F11b BETA solved a lot of diffuse hardware problems

Norm Why wrote:
Hi,

A 'lot of diffuse hardware problems' is a story too long to recite. I was
reluctant to upgrade to a BETA BIOS. When I did I thought I'd bricked the
machine. After a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 30th 21, 11:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Is it safe to order on Amazon/Ebay from China?

Xanadu99 wrote:
Shall I trust the order from Chinese supplier?
My friend told me be careful order anything from China especially nameless
supplier. She went to Vietnam and bought a lots of...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 24th 21, 05:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Posted By Paul[_28_]
SSD "overprovisioning"

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

So how come our colleague is telling us we can change the amount of
"overprovisioning", even using one of many partition managers _other_
that one made by the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 24th 21, 02:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Why is it not letting me extend the partition?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

On an alternate note, the old drive now has one tiny little bad sector
hole in it, that I'm thinking the drive can deprovision, and carry on
without in the future. Is...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 24th 21, 01:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Why is it not letting me extend the partition?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
So one of my oldest SSD's just finally had a bad misfire. One of its
memory cells seems to have gone bad, and it happened to be my boot
drive, so I had to restore to a new...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 24th 21, 01:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Posted By Paul[_28_]
SSD "overprovisioning"

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

If, after some while using an SSD, it has used up some of the slack,
because of some cells having been worn out, does the apparent total size
of the SSD -...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 24th 21, 11:39 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage