Showing results 1 to 25 of 269
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: (PeteCresswell)
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards March 5th 18, 11:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Socket LGA-1155k: all the same?

Per Paul in Houston TX:
This is the page for i5, 2400, z77...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards March 5th 18, 05:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Socket LGA-1155k: all the same?

Family member has an HP 8200
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017S118BI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which, as far as I can figure, has an Intel Core i5-2400 socket LGA-1155 CPU
in...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards May 29th 17, 02:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 1
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
EP45-UD3L: Support for 64-Bit Windows?

I'm reading Giga's specs, but can't find anything that specifically says
64-bit.

Currently running XP and now I need to "Upgrade" to accommodate the
latest rev of SageTV.

Quotes for obvious (?)...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards January 20th 17, 10:53 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Mobo Recommendation?

I want to replace the Mobo/CPU on a DriveBender box that has been giving
me fits.

My 24-7 PC has a Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H-CF in it.

I am perfectly happy with that board and would buy a second one...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards February 16th 16, 04:53 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 1
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Upgrade from Z87X-UD4H-CF mobo, socket 1150 LGA.?

I currently have a Z87X-UD4H-CF mobo, socket 1150 LGA, running at 3.5
GHz with 16 gigs of memory. 64-bit Windows 7, running from a SDD.

The Question:
Has hardware progressed yet to where I...
Forum: Asus Motherboards November 22nd 15, 12:53 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
UX302L: Keeping Battery at 50% ?

Recently read some credible comments to the effect that Li batteries
last longer if kept at 50% rather than 100%.

My UX302L rarely goes off of AC and when it does it usually needs to
last less than...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards June 26th 15, 05:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Unable To Get Boot Menu

Per Paul:
If you're using Windows 8, a "shutdown" actually keeps
things in "hibernate" state. And in "hibernate" state,
the popup boot menu is disabled, and the system restores
from hibernation...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards June 26th 15, 04:25 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Unable To Get Boot Menu

Per (PeteCresswell):
I'm guessing I have to do something in the new BIOS screen to get F12 to
bring up a Boot Menu... but what?

Got it... or, at least, a workaround.

New BIOS menu lists every...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards June 26th 15, 02:49 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Unable To Get Boot Menu

Z87X-UD4H-CF mobo, socket 1150 LGA.

The GigaByte splash screen still says F12 for boot menu, but it's not
happening - keeps going right on to Windows.

Tried Del and got BIOS, but the BIOS menus...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards May 15th 15, 01:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Z87X-UD4H-CF: Mix Memory Sizes?

Per Paul:
And are you absolutely sure you need the memory ?
Did you check for "peak usage" on the machine,
and decide you regularly go over 8GB ?

"Absolutely" is too strong a word, but when I...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards May 14th 15, 09:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
Z87X-UD4H-CF: Mix Memory Sizes?

Z87X-UD4H-CF mobo, socket 1150 LGA.

Currently have 8 gigs occupying 2 slots (i.e. 2 4-gig memory module)

2 more slots are currently empty.

If I add memory, do I have to add two more 4-giggers?

Or...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 19th 15, 04:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 6
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
$mft problem anyone?

Per VanguardLH:
There are drives that actually have a USB interface on them? Haven't
seen or heard of one. I have seen and used USB-attached hard disks but
they have a SATA interface to connects...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 18th 15, 02:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 6
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
$mft problem anyone?

Per John Doe:
Always keep a backup copy (or two) of important data. That is
doubly true when things start going wrong or when doing major
operations.

After one experience, I expanded that to...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 14th 15, 05:37 PM Posted to atl.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 26
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
10TB Hard Drive, can't even be accessed by modern OS's yet!

Per Drew:
Why would a home user need 10,000 gigabytes of storage? By the time you
fill it something new would come along or it would die first.

Movies and recorded TV.

My movies are on a 10-TB...
Forum: Asus Motherboards November 8th 14, 03:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
PA248 Monitor: Assigning "1" & "2" Butons To Inputs?

Per Paul:
If the Input Select menu is on the screen, you make an
Input Selection, then hit a Shortcut key (Shortcut 1 or Shortcut 2),
does it remember that ? I suppose the best you could hope...
Forum: Asus Motherboards November 7th 14, 05:35 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 3
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
PA248 Monitor: Assigning "1" & "2" Butons To Inputs?

I hop back-and-forth between two inputs a *lot*.

Seems like I should be able to set the PA248 up so that pressing the "1"
button selects one input and pressing the "2" button selects another.

I've...
Forum: Asus Motherboards November 6th 14, 06:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 1
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
.BAT File To Re-Enable USB Device?

My Zenbook is set to hibernate if cover closed with no external power,
but do nothing if cover closed with external power connected.

When I close the cover and then disconnect external power, it...
Forum: Asus Motherboards September 26th 14, 04:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 2
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
ZenBook on AC: Battery Still Supplying Power?

The Real Question: Am I extending my battery's lifetime by running on AC
whenever possible, or is it the same as running the battery down and
re-charging?

i.e. When running on AC, is the battery...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 8th 14, 06:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 29
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per PAS:
Police departments have changed over the years like our government has.
They seek more control over us like the government does. They are becoming
more and more militarized.

To me, it...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards June 29th 14, 07:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 1
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
NIC Has Gotten Slow?

Z87X-UD4H-CF

Been measuring it with a utility that copies a test file to a
destination on another device and back again.

Seems to me like it used to be well into the hundreds of Mbps.

Most recent...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 27th 14, 03:41 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,free.usenet,free.spirit
Replies: 29
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per John Doe:
Some strange troll...

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment on the misspelling of "Steal".
--
Pete Cresswell
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 27th 14, 03:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 29
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per PAS:
...and Lord knows what happens to cops who
expose the wrongdoing of other cops.

My takeaway from reading the Wambaugh novels is the police do not *hire*
misanthropes.

Instead, police...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 26th 14, 08:18 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,free.usenet,free.spirit
Replies: 29
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per John Doe:
I would bet that the percentage of bad cops roughly parallels the
percentage of bad people.

I would agree - with emphasis on "roughly".

I'm guessing police work attracts a certain...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 26th 14, 08:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android
Replies: 29
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Per Edmund:
companies that manage to steel our private data.

CANDIDATE FOR A PULLET SURPRISE

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 20th 14, 09:53 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 5
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
OT Can you do this with a tablet?

Per Tim Rude:
What I find works better is to connect the tablet to both an HDMI
monitor/TV and also a regular keyboard and mouse. I connect mine to a
wireless KB and mouse combo that share the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 269