Showing results 1 to 25 of 75
Search took 0.30 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Alex Harrington
Forum: Dell Computers December 31st 07, 11:22 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Alex Harrington
E520 move from Vista to XP

Alex Harrington wrote:
Tracy wrote:
By the way, here's the hardware ID for the hardware I'm trying to
identify.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_284B&SUBSYS_01DD1028&REV_02\3&172E68DD&0&D8

HD...
Forum: Dell Computers December 31st 07, 11:19 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Alex Harrington
E520 move from Vista to XP

Tracy wrote:
By the way, here's the hardware ID for the hardware I'm trying to
identify.

Forum: Dell Computers December 31st 07, 11:18 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Alex Harrington
E520 move from Vista to XP

Tracy wrote:
By the way, here's the hardware ID for the hardware I'm trying to
identify.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_284B&SUBSYS_01DD1028&REV_02\3&172E68DD&0&D8

HD Audio.

You need to install HD Audio...
Forum: General September 2nd 07, 03:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 13
Posted By Alex Harrington
Refurbished PC, ethernet problems. Help!

Plato wrote:
NEVER buy a Refurbished PC as it was returned to the vendor because it
had a problem. The vendow will not fix the problem, they will just sell
the same pc again hoping that the...
Forum: Dell Computers September 1st 07, 08:15 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 12
Posted By Alex Harrington
Anyone used an Excelstor hard drive?

Ben Myers wrote:
Possibly out of the frying pan into the fire? Maxtor has had a load of
problems too, until Seagate bought them out... Ben Myers

I've never subscribed to that. We've got...
Forum: Dell Computers August 31st 07, 10:45 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 12
Posted By Alex Harrington
Anyone used an Excelstor hard drive?

S.Lewis wrote:

In an OEM machine (EMachines, etc) or are the systems locally built? Just
curious.

Hi Stew

Custom built for us - but not to my specification. It was years ago
before I was in...
Forum: Dell Computers August 27th 07, 08:34 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 12
Posted By Alex Harrington
Anyone used an Excelstor hard drive?

wrote:
I know they've been around for a few years...I remember reading about
their products in some magazine shortly after they came out. The
pictures I saw of the drives...
Forum: General August 10th 07, 07:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Alex Harrington
figuring out power cords

wrote:

I got a couple of HP Proliant servers which shipped with a wrong type
of power cord (EIC-to-EIC) instead of regular wall-plug-to-EIC cords.
Now, these servers are...
Forum: General July 19th 07, 10:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Alex Harrington
printing with dac easy payroll dos version--laser printer onusb port

wrote:

Any suggestions on how to work around this problem!

Hmm - can you still "capture a printer port" under XP. I don't have an
XP PC here to test it on. If you can, share...
Forum: Dell Computers July 12th 07, 10:22 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Alex Harrington
Optiplex 320 Fan Noise

S.Lewis wrote:

Generally those boxes are pretty quiet. Is it a mini-tower (vertical) or
desktop model (horizontal, smaller form factor)?

Hi Stew

It's a mini tower. My experience is that they...
Forum: Dell Computers July 11th 07, 07:48 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Alex Harrington
Optiplex 320 Fan Noise

Dear all

I've just taken delivery of an Optiplex 320 3Ghz Celeron D PC from Dell
Outlet (it was very cheap and is mainly for web browsing etc so fits the
bill well).

However the fan noise from it...
Forum: Dell Computers May 29th 07, 11:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 29
Posted By Alex Harrington
new Dells with Linux

Rich/rerat wrote:

The same arguments can be made for the following items:
1. If you were a non-smoker and bought a car, the price of the car, would
probably include the cost of the cigarette...
Forum: Dell Computers May 28th 07, 04:00 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 29
Posted By Alex Harrington
new Dells with Linux

Star@*.* wrote:

All I said was win/win as in (win-ning) not (Win-dows.)
You will pay about the same for a Dell with Linux as you pay for a
Dell with Windows so why pay Dell for a free OS?

My...
Forum: Dell Computers May 28th 07, 03:43 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 29
Posted By Alex Harrington
new Dells with Linux

Journey wrote:

I do commend Dell for offering it though. If it is to have any hope
at all it has to start somewhere.

Indeed. It also gives people who want to install something other than...
Forum: Dell Computers May 28th 07, 03:41 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 29
Posted By Alex Harrington
new Dells with Linux

Preben Q wrote:

So far, my conclusion is that Ubuntu cannot run on a DVI-connected monitor.
And I throw the bootdisk away in my 'obsolete software' drawer.
I must continue using XP until I get...
Forum: Dell Computers May 28th 07, 03:39 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 29
Posted By Alex Harrington
new Dells with Linux

wrote:
Read my previous post and comment?

All I can say is I've installed 7.04 5 or 6 times already and have never
come across the bug you mention. Perhaps you only...
Forum: Dell Computers May 27th 07, 06:09 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 18
Posted By Alex Harrington
Can System Administrators disable a program?

S.Lewis wrote:

The problem they have with it is that it is not "uniform" and also wasn't
their idea to place it there, so therefore it is "bad".

Speculation on my part. g

Its usually...
Forum: Dell Computers May 27th 07, 05:50 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 29
Posted By Alex Harrington
new Dells with Linux

Tom Scales wrote:

I could just see me Mom, who got her first computer at 83 years old,
issuing commands to pipe output into input. Yeah, sure.

For anyone but the most geeky, Linux ain't...
Forum: General May 23rd 07, 07:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 24
Posted By Alex Harrington
30 min. startup

J. Yazel wrote:
I replaced the PSU with a newer one from a 1200mhz machine (that runs
perfectly) and the same delay occured.

and you checked all the capacitors on the motherboard...
Forum: General May 21st 07, 10:09 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 24
Posted By Alex Harrington
30 min. startup

J. Yazel wrote:

When the machine finally decides to start, everything is completely
perfect from that moment on.

Has anybody run into this before?

It's almost certainly the PSU...
Forum: General May 20th 07, 11:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By Alex Harrington
Recover Data from Mirrored Drive

kony wrote:

Pity we never did get all the details on this server or
drive so a lot of time was wasted. Details like drive type
(WD 150GB only tells us brand and capacity, the two things
we...
Forum: General May 20th 07, 03:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By Alex Harrington
Recover Data from Mirrored Drive

kony wrote:

Software RAID also writes array ID info to the drive - it
doesn't prevent use as a single drive.

Fair enough. The difference though is that because the BIOS of a
standard board...
Forum: General May 19th 07, 01:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By Alex Harrington
Recover Data from Mirrored Drive

kony wrote:

Nothing was done to it once removed, so it still considers
itself part of an array, and this is why Windows won't read I think.

No, as already written it is not a factor that...
Forum: Dell Computers May 12th 07, 03:42 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 14
Posted By Alex Harrington
Wireless + Wired LAN?

Ron Hardin wrote:
Does anything bad happen if you have both wireless and wired
connections running on the same laptop?

Hi Ron

If both networks are separate, that would be fine - unless they are...
Forum: Dell Computers May 5th 07, 11:27 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Alex Harrington

Tom Scales wrote:

You connected to the remote system, played a video on the remote system
and it played on the client properly? That would be impressive. RDP
and RealVNC won't do it.

I do...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 75