Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.11 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: larry moe 'n curly
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 11th 12, 02:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
Leave your PC running 24/7? Leave your DSL modem always on?

RayLopez99 wrote:

The topic of conversation is do you leave your PC running all day and night? Assume it's not part of a server farm. I say no: wastes energy, and the tribology benefits are...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 10th 12, 02:43 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply quality

Ant wrote:
On 7/8/2012 6:05 PM PT, larry moe 'n curly typed:

with almost all brands of PSUs, many models still contain low quality
capacitors from companies like Teapo, CapXon, and...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 9th 12, 02:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply quality

Ant wrote:

So Antec is better now? I had a Fortron FSP650-80GLC PSU (650 watts)
that lasted from 5/14/2007 to 12/5/2009.

They should be better now, but as with almost all brands of PSUs,...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 6th 12, 08:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply quality

Ant wrote:

On 7/5/2012 11:14 PM PT, larry moe 'n curly typed:

Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic are all good brands for PSUs.

Antec PSUs are good? Mine didn't last long in my personal...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 6th 12, 08:10 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply quality

Loony wrote:
On 06/07/2012 07:14, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Some of the few other websites that do good power supply reviews:

www.HardOCP.com
www.HardwareSecrets.com
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 6th 12, 07:14 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply quality

On Jul 5, 9:17*am, Daniel Prince wrote:
Is the CORSAIR Builder Series Power Supply a good quality power supply?

Yes, according to JonnyGuru.com, one of the best websites for...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 2nd 12, 07:44 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 34
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
need RAM recommendation - please help

Bill in Co wrote:
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

My overall failure rate has been 10% with modules made with
unidentifiable chips. So I wouldn't trust any of the major brands,
except...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 2nd 12, 07:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Replies: 23
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
Thermal Cement?

John Doe wrote:
"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:

Krazy Glue is a brand of super glue. It will work, but I don't
like it because sometimes the heatsink comes off...
Forum: General July 2nd 12, 02:33 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
defective processor ?

Sydney2 wrote:

I suspect the processor. How to make sure ? What else can be wrong ?

In addition to the hard disk, I would suspect the memory, especially
if it has heatsinks over its chips or the...
Forum: General July 2nd 12, 02:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
defective processor ?

Sydney2 wrote:

My computer seems to stop from time to time :
After the startup, the machine runs normally for a while. Then
everything is stopped. The computer won't respond to the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 2nd 12, 02:04 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 17
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
Computer popped

Metspitzer wrote:

The pop, I think, is a big clue. I may go ahead and order a Power
Supply tester.

Have you tried the paperclip test, where you bend a paperclip into a
"U" and plug it into...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 2nd 12, 12:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 34
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
need RAM recommendation - please help

glee wrote:

Well I wouldn't go solely by some customer reviews.

Especially positive reviews. Detailed negative reviews have been much
more helpful.

RAM by all the major suppliers (Crucial,...
Forum: Asus Motherboards July 2nd 12, 12:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 3
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
need RAM recommendation - please help

Adam wrote:

the customer reviews led me to the following ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3
12800) Desktop Memory Model
F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 2nd 12, 12:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Adam wrote:

the customer reviews led me to the following ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3
12800) Desktop Memory Model
F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 1st 12, 11:02 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Replies: 23
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
Thermal Cement?

Agent_C wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 18:18:14 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

If you are very familiar with using super glue, you can use that.

Would this include...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 28th 12, 08:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 11
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
Is overclocking genuinely useful?

On Jun 27, 10:10*pm, Doc wrote:

I currently have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo with a Core2 Duo 2.33 gig
processor. The CPU is just under specs for some newer video...
Forum: General June 28th 12, 08:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

On Jun 27, 10:10*pm, Doc wrote:

I currently have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo with a Core2 Duo 2.33 gig
processor. The CPU is just under specs for some newer video...
Forum: General June 19th 12, 08:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
Post power surge problems

On Jun 18, 8:39*am, J B wrote:

The fried PC has 3 hard drives, 2 of which are encrypted with
Bitlocker. I pulled out the main drive (unencrypted) and tested...
Forum: General June 12th 12, 08:35 AM Posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
HOW2 copy IDE to SATA?

On Jun 11, 4:33*am, wrote:
I read:

You *can *buy *integrated motherboards that allow a computer to use
both *SATA and IDE hard drives. However, only one of the two...
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 7th 12, 11:31 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 51
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
Good quality 2tb SATA hard drives

Daniel Prince wrote:

Does any company currently make good quality two terabyte SATA hard
drives? I have read that both Seagate and Western Digital now have
severe quality problems and that...
Forum: General April 27th 12, 08:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 6
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
computer brand

wrote:

what computer brand is best??

The December 2011 Consumer Reports survey of computers bought from
2008-2011 listed these failure rates (differences of less than 3%...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 25th 12, 01:02 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 61
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
Single-rail vs. multi-rail power supplies?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

On 24/03/2012 3:37 AM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Bit-Tech.net says the 1GB Radeon 6870 uses from 128W - 247W. Power
estimators aren't very good and usually give...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 24th 12, 04:02 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 61
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
Single-rail vs. multi-rail power supplies?

Arno wrote:

On 23/03/2012 9:10 PM, Paul wrote:

The only way a rectifier gets better, is by disappearing.
In the picture here, the rectifier on the secondary is
replaced by a...
Forum: General March 24th 12, 09:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
HD "sector repair failures"

kenw56 wrote:

I recently installed an internal Maxtor sata 250 gig HD.
I saved data to it, and started to back it up and got some error warnings.
I then ran chkdsk and it found some problems...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 24th 12, 08:37 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 61
Posted By larry moe 'n curly
Single-rail vs. multi-rail power supplies?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

I currently have a desktop with a Zalman 600W PS, it was a pretty
nice PS a few years ago when I got it, but now it looks like the system
has been upgraded and grown again,...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500