Showing results 1 to 25 of 59
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: ShadowTek[_4_]
Forum: General July 21st 09, 01:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
What are those things called?

Grinder wrote:

I've found plenty of manufacturers of custom "domed decals" or "case
badges," but I want ones that I can customize myself.

Have you thought about using some kind of adhesive...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 24th 09, 02:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
Motherboard doesn't work after BIOS update (MSI K8MM-V)

TVeblen wrote:

I once had a RAM module that was malfuntioning due to fingerprint
looking smudges of grease all over it, presumably resulting in short
circuits. Careful cleaning of the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 23rd 09, 03:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
Motherboard doesn't work after BIOS update (MSI K8MM-V)

TVeblen wrote:

Wash your hands!?! Are you serious?

I once had a RAM module that was malfuntioning due to fingerprint
looking smudges of grease all over it, presumably resulting in short
circuits....
Forum: General June 23rd 09, 03:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
Can a stereo earbug plug damage a mono output device?

Paul wrote:

Hold the plugs side by side. How do the contacts overlap ?
Do your evaluation that way.

Well, I don't have a suitable mono plug to compare it to, so I guess
I'll just have to go...
Forum: General June 23rd 09, 02:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
Can a stereo earbug plug damage a mono output device?

I was told that I would cause damage if I pluged stereo earbuds into a
mono output devie. Is that true?

On the other hand, I *did* find a page that said damage *would* occur if
you used a mono plug...
Forum: Overclocking June 20th 09, 03:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 6
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
Has ATT Usenet gone away?

Phil Weldon wrote:

I recently changed from EarthLink (nee Mindspring) after more than 15 years.
Though as an ATT subscriber I've received no direct notice that ATT has
discontinued Usenet...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 20th 09, 02:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.wetenschap,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 52
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
Hypothesis: Microwave damages computer equipment via power fluctuations.

Skybuck Flying wrote:

I have a microwave, I got it from my family.

It's probably something like 600 to 700 watt...

I notice how it produces "shocks" in the electricity supply/flow.

The...
Forum: Overclocking May 16th 09, 11:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 5
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
Trying to get rid of hum/buzz from old case

Jim wrote:

OK first things first I'm not O/C clockingthe machine but wanted to post in
here as i know you folks know your stuff and I'm hoping some of you can help
me out.

alt.comp.hardware...
Forum: General April 10th 09, 05:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 22
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
Computer slows to 1% speed randomly and at startup

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:10:33 +0100, 123Jim wrote:

I read a while back about a computer which was copying large files
extremely slowly. It turned out that the hard disk was not using the
Forum: General April 8th 09, 06:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
making a restore CD

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 01:16:42 -0400, kony wrote:

Unfortunately there can be complications to relying on the factory
method. For example you can't add another partition as it may no longer
be...
Forum: General April 8th 09, 12:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
making a restore CD

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:52:55 +0100, meerkat wrote:

Having said all that, new machines normally come with an OS in a hidden
partition, that you can use to recover your machine to factory
Forum: General April 7th 09, 08:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
making a restore CD

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:40:59 -0700, wrote:

I heard that if you buy a new computer that doesn't come with a restore
CD, you can make your own. Anyone know what tools will do...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 17th 09, 01:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
How to make a hardware switch for stereo to surround speakers?

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:59:33 +0000, Andy wrote:

I was just thinking about a similar solution...

If ShadowTek has an amp that can switch between speaker set A and B he
could splice the...
Forum: General March 17th 09, 01:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
How to make a hardware switch for stereo to surround speakers?

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:59:33 +0000, Andy wrote:

I was just thinking about a similar solution...

If ShadowTek has an amp that can switch between speaker set A and B he
could splice the...
Forum: General March 17th 09, 12:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
Noisy power supply fan

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:43:37 -0700, spasmous2 wrote:

I've started noticing something in the case is making a whirring noise,
which I traced to the power supply fan. I'm sure it's gotten louder...
Forum: General March 16th 09, 09:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
How to make a hardware switch for stereo to surround speakers?

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:29:45 +0000, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:

If you must work with the amplified signal my hunch would be a 4PDT
switch will fit the bill when properly wired. However, the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 16th 09, 09:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
How to make a hardware switch for stereo to surround speakers?

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:29:45 +0000, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:

If you must work with the amplified signal my hunch would be a 4PDT
switch will fit the bill when properly wired. However, the...
Forum: General March 16th 09, 09:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
How to make a hardware switch for stereo to surround speakers?

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:56:41 +0000, ShadowTek wrote:

...my home theater 4.1 surround receiver...

That should have been 5.1
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 16th 09, 09:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[...]

Forum: General March 16th 09, 09:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By ShadowTek[_4_]
How to make a hardware switch for stereo to surround speakers?

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:29:45 +0000, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:

If you must work with the amplified signal my hunch would be a 4PDT
switch will fit the bill when properly wired. However, the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 16th 09, 09:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt