Showing results 1 to 25 of 276
Search took 2.24 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Phil Weldon
Forum: Overclocking April 17th 07, 11:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 39
Posted By Phil Weldon
E4300 / 680i overclocking

'Phil, Non-Squid' wrote:
| I think I was unclear. Is your memory certified for 1200MHz speeds even
| when marked as 1066MHz?

'Certified' for is not the same as 'capable'. The E4300 I use is...
Forum: Overclocking April 17th 07, 11:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 39
Posted By Phil Weldon
E4300 / 680i overclocking

'Thomas' wrote, in reply to 'Phil, Non-Squid':
| I think I was unclear. Is your memory certified for 1200MHz speeds
| even when marked as 1066MHz?
|
| His memory is certified for 800 'MHz' DDR,...
Forum: Overclocking April 17th 07, 06:35 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 39
Posted By Phil Weldon
E4300 / 680i overclocking

'Jack R' wrote, in part:
| Phil, good info, thanks!
| Question, what maximum CPU temp under stress and at idle do you find
| acceptable?
| (BTW, I'm a hardware engineer, with comparable experience,...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 17th 07, 03:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 9
Posted By Phil Weldon
8800GTS 320MB power requirements

'DaveW' wrote:
| The manufacturer always lists the MINIMUM requirements for the use of
their
| products. Since you do NOT meet these minimum requirements, I think you
get
| the general...
Forum: Overclocking April 17th 07, 03:38 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 39
Posted By Phil Weldon
E4300 / 680i overclocking

With this platform

Windows XP Pro SP2
Intel E4300
EVGA 680i SLI
EVGA 8800 XTS 320 MByte
2 GByte PC 8500 memory
Seagate 500 GByte SATA II hard drive

I am now using Orthos CPU...
Forum: Overclocking April 17th 07, 02:25 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 10
Posted By Phil Weldon
Lesson learned re. Nvidia nTune/Vista

'Jack R' wrote, in part:
| One experience to share, I found nVidea's nTune utility. It looked like
just
| what I needed.
| I ran it, no problem reading the various measurements.
| I then ran the...
Forum: Overclocking April 16th 07, 02:50 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 71
Posted By Phil Weldon
Core 2 Duo and 680i overclocking (was E4300 and 650i overclocking)

'Phil Weldon' wrote, in part:
| I did not intend the CPU core voltage to be above stock; in the BIOS I had
| set it to [AUTO], but (as I noticed AFTER the 6 hour run) nVidia was
| reporting the CPU...
Forum: Overclocking April 16th 07, 12:15 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

'Fishface' wrote:
| That temperature seems mighty low for a fully loaded dual core at 3 GHz
| with stock cooling, especially at that voltage. Did you try the Orthos to
| which I linked? That...
Forum: Overclocking April 15th 07, 07:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 71
Posted By Phil Weldon
Core 2 Duo and 680i overclocking (was E4300 and 650i overclocking)

After much head scratching (I may yet be forced to RTFM) I finally managed
to actually CHANGE the CPU speed. The nTune supplied with the motherboard
is either buggy or not up-to-date (when I try...
Forum: Ati Videocards April 15th 07, 07:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 6
Posted By Phil Weldon
Radeon X1950XT AGP

'First of One' wrote:
| Alas, it is not quite that simple. If the HSF is the same unit as on the
| Sparkle 8800GTX, then it uses a hybrid design from MACS, with a set of
| secondary heat pipes going...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 15th 07, 07:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 6
Posted By Phil Weldon
Radeon X1950XT AGP

'First of One' wrote:
| Alas, it is not quite that simple. If the HSF is the same unit as on the
| Sparkle 8800GTX, then it uses a hybrid design from MACS, with a set of
| secondary heat pipes going...
Forum: Overclocking April 14th 07, 09:10 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

'Ed Medlin' wrote:
| Great temps. With a good case and good airflow, you might even see a
| decrease when you close it up. I am not familiar with nTune's stress test,
| but you cannot beat those...
Forum: Overclocking April 13th 07, 11:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 71
Posted By Phil Weldon
Core 2 Duo and 680i overclocking (was E4300 and 650i overclocking)

Early temperatures from my E4300 / EVGA 680i / EVGA 8800 GTS / Patriot
PC8500 SLI ready memory:

After 10 minutes of the nTune stress test (all components) the end
temperatures were
CPU: 37...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 13th 07, 06:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 4
Posted By Phil Weldon
Recommendation requested for 6200 AGP graphics card

'First of One' wrote:
| In case you were wondering, Learjet sells a gift card, good for 300
minutes
| of "airtime". Prices start at only $24000, free shipping included...
_____

Now that's pretty...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 13th 07, 03:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Weldon
I want to find nVidia cards that support yv12

'testfirst' wrote:
| I want to select a card that supports yv12 format. But I can't
| identify the feature from the description of card specification. Does
| anyone know where I can find such...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 13th 07, 02:59 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

'David' wrote, in part:
| I would like to minimise heat dissipation and running costs, so I am
| thinking that 128MB RAM would be better for me. Is this good
| reasoning?
_____

Well, operating costs...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 13th 07, 02:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 16
Posted By Phil Weldon
OP : How many watts

'Mr. Porter' wrote:
| Thank you all for the answers and the link especially.
|
| I water cool my video cards, soon, when the price drops I'll be water
| cooling a couple of 8800GTX's
|
| knowing 145,...
Forum: Overclocking April 13th 07, 02:04 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 71
Posted By Phil Weldon
Core 2 Duo and 680i overclocking (was E4300 and 650i overclocking)

Correction:
The post should read

'Core 2 Duo and 680i overclocking'

Or, things my mother never told me.

I have begun assemble my EVGA 680i motherboard / Intel Core 2 Duo system.
With this...
Forum: Overclocking April 13th 07, 01:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 71
Posted By Phil Weldon
Core 2 Duo and 680i overclocking (was E4300 and 650i overclocking)

Correction:
When using only one display adapter with the EVGA 680i motherboard it is
placed in the RIGHTMOST PCI-Ex X16 slot, the one nearest the CPU. Don't
know how I got that one backwards...
Forum: Overclocking April 12th 07, 12:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 3
Posted By Phil Weldon
Is my ABIT BH6 1.0 DEAD? Can it be SAVED? HOW?

'rec.audio.pro' wrote, in part:
[Is my ABIT BH6 1.0 DEAD? Can it be SAVED? HOW?]
| Previous condition:
| -Worked flawlesslessy for long time as I've upgraded thru the years
|

| Present condition:
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 11th 07, 05:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 8
Posted By Phil Weldon
HOT GPU

'Charles. C. Shyu' wrote, in part:
| Now I've found that if even a simple program like the 3D Pipes screensaver
| comes on, the temps jump to:
| Ambient temperatu 72 deg C
| GPU Co 112 deg C
Forum: Overclocking April 11th 07, 04:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

'Ed Medlin' wrote, in part:
| I might see if I can search up some photos for the Asus version and see if
| can compare them with the EVGA offerings. I would 'like' to have a couple
of
| available...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 6th 07, 10:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 31
Posted By Phil Weldon
SLI and power suppliy

'Mr.E Solved!' wrote, in part:
| I do not disagree that marketers are trying to get more money from
| misinformed consumers by "up-selling" wattage ratings on otherwise
| mediocre PSU's. My point is...
Forum: Overclocking April 6th 07, 07:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 7
Posted By Phil Weldon
Will the new E6x20 procs OC better?

'Phil, Non-Squid' wrote, in part:
| I think I'm beginning to understand. Lower FSB means higher multipliers
| which means easier overclocking? Or do you mean that the percentage
| improvement for...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 6th 07, 03:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 31
Posted By Phil Weldon
SLI and power suppliy