Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.33 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: johns
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 10th 16, 08:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By johns
Would like to replace old Android with new Windows 10inch

My android is so old and slow it no longer works for much of what I need. Do you have any tested suggestions for a replacement. To me, the android is all about memorizing how it works in bits and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 6th 13, 10:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By johns
OT gymnastics, the wheel

On Jan 4, 3:17*pm, John Doe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtNNwqcF_0g

Good grief. I thought I had done it all. I was a gymnast for
many years, but never saw...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 4th 13, 05:39 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By johns
using gtx 275 .. how to connect video monitor and tv to card?

Anyway, even if I didn't do a good job of answering
your question, at least dump the passive splitter.
Because it's just a bad idea.

Thanks. Looks like I've got some reading to do. I notice in...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards January 3rd 13, 09:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 0
Posted By johns
How to connect gtx 275 to both video monitor and tv ??

I tried a dvi splitter on a single dvi port, and sent one signal to
the video monitor
and the other to the tv ( dvi to hdmi cable ). Whooeee! No way! So,
can I put the
tv on the 2nd dvi port, and go...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 3rd 13, 09:10 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By johns
using gtx 275 .. how to connect video monitor and tv to card?

I tried using a dvi splitter on just the first dvi port .. one to
monitor, one to hdmi ( dvi to hdmi )
port on the tv. Whooeee! That did not work at all. The tv generated
some kind of goofy
problem...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 25th 12, 08:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By johns
New build .. recommend graphics card please

Probably because he wants a high-end gaming video card.

You're probably right. I never claim to be the smartest .. just
the fastest :-)

johns
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 19th 12, 11:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By johns
New build .. recommend graphics card please

My present system is Intel Core2 Duo with a GTX 275 GT video card.
It's pretty good, but aging. So I'm starting to collect parts. What do
you recommend for a high-end gaming video card? I'm looking...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 1st 11, 03:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By johns
Next game box

By the way... Most systems use much less power than you might
think. The popular conception of needing a high wattage power
supply is probably mostly marketing hype. I don't understand why
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 1st 11, 03:17 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By johns
Next game box

Amazon tag-along companies are dumping products all over
the place. They pick up a few pretty good items, and then
cut the prices to the dirt to build their business. I just got
an Antec 902 case for...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 21st 11, 01:11 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By johns
Next game box

My last system is working perfectly. It's a few
years old, but really fast and quiet. Runs cool.

Dual boots XP Pro - Win7 / 64

Intel Core2 Duo .. early so not a failed quad
Gigabyte mobo .. solid...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 27th 11, 05:52 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By johns
Starting new build .. mobo ?

Been a while .. I'm looking at Gigabyte and Asus .. and the prices
for a decent gaming mobo seem high. Why ? Is there a decent
mobo for a reasonable price ?

johns
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 23rd 11, 09:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By johns
Can get internet but can't get the Web? What is up with that?

Any ideas why this is so?

Yes. You are probably using a NAT router, and
your firewall is blocking port 80. Go to the router
web page on your router and check your tcpip
port settings.

Possibly .....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 29th 11, 05:14 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By johns
"Internet ready" blueray dvd players question

I was talking about this to a friend of mine this
week, and she says she has an HDTV that streams
HDTV from Netflix, and all she had to do was
use her controller for the HDTV to enter the SSID
of her...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 23rd 11, 01:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By johns
"Internet ready" blueray dvd players question

The DSL standard only allows for one DSL modem per telephone line. *Hook
two of them up with some kind of telephone splitter and neither will
work correctly, if at all.

That's what I kind of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 22nd 11, 04:38 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By johns
"Internet ready" blueray dvd players question

I have a new HDTV and I want to buy a Blueray dvd player
to use with it and stream movies, etc to it. I have Verizon
cableTV and network. I also have a computer which talks
out over a cable DSLmodem,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 8th 10, 08:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By johns
Dual boot XP - Win7

that with a removeable HD tray. *They're sometimes
called "hard drive caddies" or "mobile racks". *Kingwin
makes/imports a big selection of them,

thanks. I see them. Looks like it is time to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 8th 10, 08:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By johns
Dual boot XP - Win7

If you have enough data connectors, you may find it easier to switch the
power

There's a BIG warning on that one. Seems there's a
way to generate a big spark even when off. I don't
want to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 7th 10, 10:30 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By johns
Dual boot XP - Win7

One of the warnings came from a poster who said that
when he actually had to use an XP restore point, he lost
the dual boot feature. Win7 was gone, and he had to go
through the install again. It...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 7th 10, 03:46 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By johns
Dual boot XP - Win7

I'm thinking about installing Win7 on my XP system, and I
would like to set up dual boot .. if it is safe to do so. I have
a new 2nd 500 gig hard drive, so Win7 would go on it's own
drive. I've been...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards September 5th 10, 05:12 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 6
Posted By johns
GeForce 8800GT seems hot

What is the normal running temperature of this card?

Mine went up in smoke last year. I called BFG and they
said that 95 degrees C was normal :-) Bull****. I was
able to cool the thing with a...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards December 29th 09, 07:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 2
Posted By johns
Weird experience with GTX 275

I posted about this on the RPG game group if you want to
see more detail:

I replaced a blown 8800 GT with a new GTX 275 from EVGA.
I was surprised to see that the 275 had a much lower
frame rate...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 27th 09, 05:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By johns
Is there a gamer's version of a touch screen table ?

Basically a PC in a flat table top ? Anybody
seen something like this? I have a special
application that could use it, but I don't want
to pay a fortune for the Microsoft table.

johns
Forum: Nvidia Videocards March 19th 09, 05:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 10
Posted By johns
Which upgrade route?

Want to have some fun? Call up a vendor and ask them
how to quieten and cool your new 260. Get the old, "We've
not had any complaints about that."

I called EVGA customer service, and just like...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards March 18th 09, 11:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 10
Posted By johns
Which upgrade route?

disappointed and mad ?

Yep. Tom's hardware. The 260 is stupidly noisy and
annoying. Don't buy this POS. You'll hate it after a
gaming session, and the vendor will just laugh at you.

It'll cost...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards March 18th 09, 11:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 10
Posted By johns
Which upgrade route?

opinion....go with the GTX 260....it's a big jump from the old style 8800GT
320Mb.- Hide quoted text -

Is the 260 really cool and quiet ? My eVGA 8800 was noisy
and hot as fire .. impossible to...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500