Showing results 1 to 25 of 210
Search took 0.14 seconds.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 25th 20, 02:11 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
asrock = useless pricks

I have a Z97M Anniversary mainboard. Doesn't boot, emits 6 beeps.
I have done all the usual crap, swapping RAM, graphics card, CMOS battery,
power supply ad nauseum....
The user manual doesn't have...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 25th 20, 02:26 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 18
Posted By [email protected]
"Western Digital releases new 18TB, 20TB EAMR drives"

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 2:41:36 AM UTC+8, Mark Perkins wrote:

Tape has never been a viable random access medium and never will be.
If you're a glutton for punishment, I suppose you could...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 19th 20, 05:04 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 5:39:21 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Western Digital releases new 18TB, 20TB EAMR drives"

Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 4th 20, 02:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
ATX24 socket on mobo - PS is only ATX20!

I had a look at an old HP Pavillion PC and the power supply has only 20 wires
going into the mainboard. Jezus, that is cheapskatery I did not expect
from a major corporation. It is apparently a...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 26th 20, 09:58 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
who would buy Exo 15E900: 15,000 RPM only 900 GB

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 1:50:18 AM UTC+8, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Seems like it might be an older enterprise disk, judging by how small it
is, and its speed. So it likely predates SSD's. These...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 25th 20, 11:52 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
who would buy Exo 15E900: 15,000 RPM only 900 GB

So it does 300 MB/s, whereas the bigger enterprise disks only reach 250 MB/s
I imagine this would be used as a fast temp disk that gets a good thrashing,
but then wouldn't you have an SSD for that?
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 16th 20, 11:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By [email protected]
Western Digital quetion

A black drive doesn't have shingles. A blue 3.5" may be shingled for 2+TB
and 2.5" shingled for 1+TB, so avoid blue
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 13th 20, 03:32 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
is re-badging of PCI-E cards common?

I was looking for 2.5GBASE-T ethernet cards, and there seem to be several
more available than a year ago.
But I noticed (on Chinese market sites) there are 3 with brand names I never
heard of, and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 13th 20, 03:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Intel cooler gone all clingy, will not detach.

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 11:45:42 PM UTC+8, Patrick wrote:
I have no explanation but why not hack the pins off from below and
replace them with new ones?

I put in some silicone lube, which...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 9th 20, 01:27 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Intel cooler gone all clingy, will not detach.

A mainboard died, so I wished to salvage the i7 CPU therefrom. Has stock
Intel cooler. Can turn one of the locks 90 degrees, but the other 3 only
turn about 60 degrees, so can't pull them up. I have...
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 16th 20, 10:31 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Do you think the days of the hard drive is finally over?

20 terrorbites would be an "archive" drive with shingles.
The sensible drives go up to 16 TB? Even that is going to take ages for a scandisk.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 10th 20, 12:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
SSD question

BluRay MDisc - lasts as long as polycarbonate lasts
Hard drive - good, as long as the storage is cool and *dry*
flash based - not as good as the other two
- not suited for...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 24th 20, 10:32 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
Don't get Shingled by SMR

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 5:04:04 PM UTC+8, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Also if you want to avoid shingles, then you'd have to stay away from
Seagate Barracude Compute drives too. They go all of...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 24th 20, 04:16 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
Don't get Shingled by SMR

Hmmm, we had 4 TB CMR drives for a while until Helium arrived.
Why on earth are they making a 2 TB shingled drive? **** you WD, I am not paying
for Iron Wolf to avoid shingles.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 24th 20, 04:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
OT - Western Digital admits 2TB-6TB WD Red NAS drives useshingled magnetic recording

**** why would 2 TB be shingled? Look we had 4 TB drives for ages before
helium, shingles and other advances. Even the slim 2 cm thick drives should
manage 2 TB without that crap.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 10th 20, 09:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
CPU temp hits 80C then cools back to 55/60 [memtest]

On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 12:44:17 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:
It's hard to say what core it is.

I noticed this happens when the PC started cold, i.e. after it was off for at
least 3 hours. So I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 9th 20, 12:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
CPU temp hits 80C then cools back to 55/60 [memtest]

I was running memtest on an LGA2011 system that seemed to have memory issues.
I noticed that when memtest starts, the core temperature is up to 80 Celsius.
Then it drifts back to 60 (with full 8...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 27th 20, 06:59 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
SeaTools Bootable USB *NOT IMPRESSED*

I have used the Seatools for DOS burnt to a CD for yonks.
But sometimes it floundered with new hardware, either not seeing any
disk drives, or keyboard not working.

So got the new SeaTools bootable...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 27th 20, 02:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
CPU coolers aluminium versus copper core

I have an old HP business desktop that seems to have a problem with
overheating. One has to keep the heatsink dust-free in order to survive.
Now this is an aluminium heat sink and the CPU is TDP 95...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 4th 20, 05:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
craptop died with hard drive, but works with SSD

I had a laptop working fine one day, then next it does not boot.
The drive shows up in BIOS, but a disc diagnostic on CD cannot see it.
Not many SATA options in BIOS, just a choice of performance or...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 26th 19, 04:49 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
mystery key on laptop

I was given a used Toshiba L500 laptop, and noticed one of the keys seemed to
be stuck down. There is no spring under it. I looked up replacement parts
keyboards and they all seem to be like that....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 21st 19, 01:14 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
unused contacts on PCI-E 16x cards?

On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 11:55:23 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

I could also find GT710 cards with the full x16 connector
and 16 pairs of caps and so on. But the video card
was "off-brand"...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 20th 19, 12:23 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
unused contacts on PCI-E 16x cards?

Cleaning out the junk cupboard, I removed a graphics card from a HP craputer.
It is a fanless 1 GB GT620. I noticed that at least 10% of the edge contacts
are missing. So are there unused contacts...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 4th 19, 08:39 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
PC no bootee, but drives visible

It's an old Dell Inspiron. Has i3 sticker on, but somebody upgraded to i5.
Will not boot from hard disk or CD. The drives show up in BIOS.
The Dell has diagnostic in boot menu, which tests RAM and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 19th 19, 12:19 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
color of ethernet ports?

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 12:31:21 AM UTC+8, Shadow wrote:

Don't think so:

https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/19603/ethernet-keystone-jack-color-conventions
Showing results 1 to 25 of 210

Forum Jump