Showing results 1 to 21 of 21
Search took 0.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Sam
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 12th 20, 07:52 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 6
Posted By Sam
IS this the normal shut down sound a Seagate Barracuda HD makes

On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 2:26:35 PM UTC-8, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
I agree, it sounds quite usual.

In other words, it sounds normal to you even Seagate's tech support in Ecuador or...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 11th 20, 10:54 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 6
Posted By Sam
IS this the normal shut down sound a Seagate Barracuda HD makes

I finally received a response back from Seagate. They say the drive has failed (which it hasn't) and they want me to RMA the drives even though they're only a few weeks old (in my possession) but...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 10th 20, 08:26 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 6
Posted By Sam
IS this the normal shut down sound a Seagate Barracuda HD makes

It only happens when I shut down Windows. Should I go into the bios and shut down from there, it's not present. However, I had the same harsh sound about 6 years ago with another Seagate connected...
Forum: Asus Motherboards May 8th 16, 08:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 0
Posted By Sam
Help: Asus P6X58D-E mobo partially boots into bios.

I have an older Model P6X58D-E mobo.

Over the last few weeks, the PC would randomly lock up when doing normal things eg. browsing, working etc.

Sometimes it would be boot properly (go through the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 8th 16, 08:11 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By Sam
Help: PC partially boots into bios: Asus P6X58D-E

I have an older Asus Model P6X58D-E mobo.

Over the last few weeks, the PC would randomly lock up when doing normal things eg. browsing, working etc.

Sometimes it would be boot properly (go...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 8th 16, 08:10 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By Sam
PC randomly locks up, won't boot or partially boots within bios

I have an older Model P6X58D-E mobo.

Over the last few weeks, the PC would randomly lock up when doing normal things eg. browsing, working etc.

Sometimes it would be boot properly (go through the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 15th 16, 10:22 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By Sam
Can I install a UEFI hard drive as the main (boot) drive in alegacy (BIOS) Windows 7 system?

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 2:58:54 PM UTC-7, Rod Speed wrote:
Sam wrote
Rod Speed wrote

There is another workaround that some manufacturers
provide that allows it to boot Win7...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 16th 16, 05:52 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By Sam
Can I install a UEFI hard drive as the main (boot) drive in alegacy (BIOS) Windows 7 system?

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 11:17:22 AM UTC-7, Rod Speed wrote:
I wasn't suggesting the last, boot into Win on different drive.
I appreciate the clarification.

One FINAL question: Since I need...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 15th 16, 06:18 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By Sam
Can I install a UEFI hard drive as the main (boot) drive in alegacy (BIOS) Windows 7 system?

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 8:39:42 PM UTC-7, Rod Speed wrote:

Yes, so any way you boot Win should get the result you want.

What search parameters would I use to find an app to install on a USB...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 15th 16, 04:23 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By Sam
Can I install a UEFI hard drive as the main (boot) drive in alegacy (BIOS) Windows 7 system?

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 2:58:54 PM UTC-7, Rod Speed wrote:

Yeah, it's a pretty elderly motherboard.

Any insight or guidance would be appreciated.

Looks like you are out of...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 14th 16, 09:16 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 1:52:01 AM UTC-7, Rod Speed wrote:

There is another workaround that some manufacturers
provide that allows it to boot Win7 from the UEFI drive.

Asus had no...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 14th 16, 09:11 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By Sam
Can I install a UEFI hard drive as the main (boot) drive in alegacy (BIOS) Windows 7 system?

Well, I contacted Asus about my mobo and I received no response. It's the ASUS P6X58D-E. Any insight would be helpful.
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 14th 16, 03:53 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 14
Posted By Sam
"Hard Drive Reliability Review for 2015"

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 6:06:00 PM UTC-8, Rod Speed wrote: Dunno, the Hitachi/HGST are doing ok.

Remains to be seen what will happen
with the drive quality now that they have
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 14th 16, 03:49 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By Sam
Can I install a UEFI hard drive as the main (boot) drive in a legacy(BIOS) Windows 7 system?

I understand that you can get Windows to show the drive if it's connected via external enclosure, but is there a workaround to have the larger UEFI as the main boot drive or must I stick with a lower...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 23rd 16, 06:24 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 38
Posted By Sam
Why are external drives cheaper than internal?

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 7:46:37 AM UTC-7, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
How come Seagate -- to name just one manufacturer -- can sell an
external 6TB drive in a case with a USB 3.0...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 23rd 12, 03:41 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By Sam
Raw Read Error Rates - What is going on?

On Friday, 5 October 2012 12:17:10 UTC-7, Rod Speed wrote:

16GB. Its so cheap now that there is no reason not to.

Perhaps in my case. I have an X58 i7 930 on an Asus P6X58D mobo. Max is 24 GB...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 11th 12, 04:56 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By Sam
Raw Read Error Rates - What is going on?

On Friday, 5 October 2012 12:17:10 UTC-7, Rod Speed wrote:

16GB. Its so cheap now that there is no reason not to.
Don't run Photoshop routinely either, don't edit pictures much at all.
I...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 5th 12, 04:13 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By Sam
Raw Read Error Rates - What is going on?

On Thursday, 4 October 2012 00:10:07 UTC-7, Rod Speed wrote:

I don't have much choice, essentially because I use my

PC as a PVR to replace the VCRs and I record a lot more

than I ever...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 4th 12, 06:04 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By Sam
Raw Read Error Rates - What is going on?

On Wednesday, 3 October 2012 20:11:31 UTC-7, Rod Speed wrote:

WD used to be so reliable!?

They haven't been for years now.

I usually dont upgrade unless I have to. Each drive I've owned has...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 3rd 12, 05:40 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By Sam
Raw Read Error Rates - What is going on?

The drive is fine. It will be interesting to see what develops

with the head activity, but there isnt any problem visible in

the SMART report.

The read error rate just went up 2 points...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 28th 12, 09:03 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By Sam
Raw Read Error Rates - What is going on?

I had my WD Black Caviar was replaced with a newer WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 model. Within 8 months, HD Tune is showing raw read errors going from 0 to 14. WD diagnostic tools s/w shows no smart error...
Showing results 1 to 21 of 21