Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 1.61 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Paul[_28_]
Forum: General Yesterday, 07:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Star Lite Linux laptop

wrote:
Look at your original inquiry. You did NOT ask if anyone here has used
the computer. You asked has ANYONE tried one of these. I answered what
you actually asked....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 23rd 20, 10:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Crucial 128G flastick USB problem could be software

Flasherly wrote:
Seems it will pick-up its own USB identity, not just sit there for
long periods trying to access itself, (a bright LED lite on it helps
me see when there's that issue), by...
Forum: General September 21st 20, 07:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Replace ethernet cables with POF backbone on home Powerline ?

x13 wrote:
John,

I was being myopic in my last post.

My idea was just to speed things up. But of course by using a POF cable I would be bypassing the electrical wiring in the walls...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 20th 20, 04:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Apparent PSU problem

On 2020-09-19 4:13 p.m., Larc wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 15:50:22 -0400, Bill wrote:

| Sorry, what does PG stand for? Since you said all...
Forum: General September 19th 20, 08:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Q: Replace ethernet cables with POF backbone on home Powerline?

x13 wrote:
Hi all.

I regularly transfer many large files to/from my media device (like a mini NAS)
two rooms away. Though this box has both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity, neither
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 15th 20, 12:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Paul[_28_]
pr problem

Yes wrote:
Within the last few weeks, the screen will go blank literally for a
second or two when I'm using my pc. I'll be at a web site, and all of
a sudden the screen blanks (turns dark), no...
Forum: General September 6th 20, 01:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By Paul[_28_]
What PC hardware diagnostic stress-testing freeware can you recommend?

micky wrote:
In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Fri, 04 Sep 2020 17:51:26 -0400, Paul
wrote:

John McGaw wrote:
On 9/4/2020 1:35 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
What PC...
Forum: General September 4th 20, 10:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware

John McGaw wrote:
On 9/4/2020 1:35 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
What PC hardware diagnostic stress-testing freeware can you recommend?

o I have a random hardware related BSOD whose cause is...
Forum: General August 31st 20, 04:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Paul[_28_]
BIOS Modes

Anssi Saari wrote:
tb writes:

If anybody else has run into this issue and was able to solve it,
please let me know.

Switching from IDE to AHCI is a fairly...
Forum: General August 30th 20, 03:50 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 20
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Guiding a 14 year old nephew on building his own computer

s wrote:

Thanks Paul,

Will the fan in
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Transparent-Adjustable-Ventilated/dp/B0785GRMPG/
be enough or are more fans needed?

I appreciate the...
Forum: General August 30th 20, 03:49 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 2020-08-27 00:37, s wrote:

My nephew is 14 and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 28th 20, 12:17 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul[_28_]
PC erratic behaviour

Peter Johnson wrote:
I've been having problems with my homebuilt PC for a couple of weeks.
All the components have been replaced this year. The last to be
changed were the RAM (32Gb Crucial)...
Forum: General August 27th 20, 05:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul[_28_]
ssd sata rack w. happy customers?

bad sector wrote:

I'm planning my move to ssd's and want to replace my spinners cage rack
with a 4, 6, or 8-bay ssd rack, one of those that stack'em standing on
edge, which is what I have...
Forum: General August 27th 20, 04:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 20
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Guiding a 14 year old nephew on building his own computer

s wrote:

My nephew is 14 and living in another state who wants to build his own
computer.

I sent following YouTube videos for him to watch and learn how to do it.

Build a PC -...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 27th 20, 03:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Magnetronics

Larc wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 01:25:03 -0400, Flasherly wrote:

| I'd heard of it and it isn't at all bad for finally doing so, after
| tossing three or four microwaves...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 20, 02:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Does anybody have a Helium drive more than 5 years old?

Lynn McGuire wrote:
On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 5:10:16 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

The Helium gas is guaranteed to stay inside for 5 years.

Does anybody have a Helium drive more...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 19th 20, 09:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul[_28_]
"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q2 2020"

Robert wrote:
Paul wrote in part:
HGST is owned by Western Digital.
The category is "Enterprise". 16TB for $577 USD.

They might have done HelioSeal before WDC...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 18th 20, 10:10 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul[_28_]
"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q2 2020"

Ant wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:
Yup, buy HGST drives. And hard drives are getting more reliable.

What's the best place to buy new ones for cheap?

Let's take...
Forum: General August 14th 20, 07:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
Posted By Paul[_28_]
"Repair" hard disk with bad sectors by reading and rewriting same data?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I have a 6TB drive that shows 8 bad sectors. Would it be possible to
repair it without harm to the data using

dd if=/dev/daX of=/dev/daX (and perhaps with bs...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 13th 20, 07:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Subject: Weird Story: Thunder clap destroys Toshiba Laptop poweradapter that was "half" connected ?!

wrote:
On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:47:06 AM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
wrote:

8. So I plug back the power adapter into the laptop, this
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 12th 20, 08:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4

wrote:

8. So I plug back the power adapter into the laptop, this
was basically the only thing left I had to do and I start
noticing this beeping...

I did...
Forum: General August 5th 20, 03:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Laptop, 1st sign of life, WHEN?

bad sector wrote:

Aging Asus g73sw-xt1 Laptop:

After having disassembled the unit, I made many repairs including
resoldering the AC-Adapter pin. Then I reinstalled the mobo and fans in...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 2nd 20, 02:15 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Toshiba laptop L670 1JQ core i5 M480 2.67 GHz locked at 1.4 GHzboth cores ?!?

wrote:
This toshiba laptop which I got from my mother:

Toshiba laptop L670 1JQ core i5 M480 2.67 GHz

WILL NOT GO ANY FASTER THEN 1.4 GHz both cores ?! WTF ?!

Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 2nd 20, 09:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul[_28_]
Samsung QVO

Flasherly wrote:
On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 03:23:36 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

No need to go farther -- and the model is QVO (not a misstated "QVC").

Looking a little...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 25th 20, 07:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul[_28_]
asrock = useless pricks

Char Jackson wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 06:11:36 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have a Z97M Anniversary mainboard. Doesn't boot, emits 6 beeps.
I have done all the usual crap,...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500

Forum Jump