Showing results 1 to 25 of 120
Search took 0.10 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Bob Knowlden
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 24th 09, 08:31 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Knowlden
IDE to USB?

3.5 inch is basically the platter size, as you say.

It is the current standard for hard drives for desktop systems. 2.5" is
common for notebooks. The 1.8" is mainly used for things like...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 24th 09, 03:41 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Knowlden
IDE to USB?

You'd mount the drive in an external drive enclosure. It's pretty simple to
do.

www.newegg.com is where I usually go to see what's available. Unfortunately,
they don't ship to the UK. However, you...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 20th 08, 02:09 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Adjusting Graphic Card Fan Speed

To get the full function of the control panel, you'll need to install nTune:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

(It's a little ridiculous unless you have a motherboard with an...
Forum: Ati Videocards August 28th 08, 06:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 3
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Installing 550 Pro without disk

The downloadable package is a self-extracting archive. Just launch it
(double-click). I don't have a Theater 550 Pro, so I haven't tested it, but
I presume that it's like other ATI drivers: the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 28th 08, 06:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Can I "REALLY" build a good computer for less-then $800 ? Is this possible ??

These examples tend to be come dated quickly, but here's one from May:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/3747766

and...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 19th 08, 06:46 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By Bob Knowlden
identify this cable for a Dell media card reader

The blurry/overexposed pictures make it difficult to tell. (This is intended
more as an apology than as criticism.)

At a guess, the connection is to a 10 pin mainboard USB header. In
principle,...
Forum: Ati Videocards August 19th 08, 06:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 14
Posted By Bob Knowlden
cant install drivers "setup did not find compatable drivers......setup will exit"

I haven't personally dealt with the problem, but I think that the newer
Catalyst versions may have trouble with some AGP cards on some motherboards.
It may be worth trying a "hotfix" version (32...
Forum: Asus Motherboards June 26th 08, 07:18 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 3
Posted By Bob Knowlden
A8V Graphics Card

The fastest card that I ran on my A8V Deluxe used an nVidia 6800GT chipset.
That was the latest AGP card I bought.

What was your old card? Are you running the latest Via chipset drivers? I
doubt...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 20th 08, 12:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Bob Knowlden
My dream PC - AsusP5K-E, where's my mouse port?

I don't own that mainboard, but I'd expect it to be able to detect a USB
mouse. What is your "legacy USB support" setting in the BIOS setup? "Auto"
should work, but you could try "enable". If that...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 12th 08, 05:09 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 15
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Installing 64-bit Vi$ta on Intel motherboard with 2G RAM?

Can you supply a reference (link) to that?

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:19:03 +0800
"Man-wai Chang ToDie...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards June 8th 08, 06:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 9
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Which graphics card to upgrade.

I'm not a fan of Best Buy, but at the moment they have a sale on an 8800GT,
for $150, with a full 512 MB of video...
Forum: Ati Videocards June 1st 08, 03:51 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Need some techy advise!

Oops. 3870. (I have one.)

"Bob Knowlden" wrote in message
I suggest the 3970.

See he

Forum: Ati Videocards May 31st 08, 07:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Need some techy advise!

I suggest the 3970.

See he

http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm

It looks like the raw performance (number of ROPS X core clock frequency) of
the single 3970 isn't much less than double that...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 30th 08, 03:52 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Mutimedia controller

Your onboard sound, maybe?

"BH2" wrote in message
Hi Guys,
had to reformat my computer, everything...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 22nd 08, 03:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 10
Posted By Bob Knowlden
new video cards

Looks like the 9800GTX is a full-length (10.5") card as well. It'll fit in
an Antec 900 case, although you may have to remove the fan from the back of
the drive cage.

Things may be a bit cozy in...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 19th 08, 04:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 10
Posted By Bob Knowlden
new video cards

Yes.

It's 9" long. Even an 8800GTX (10.5") fits the Antec 900, although I recall
that a fan on the rear of the drive cage had to be removed.

Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 19th 08, 04:32 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Dell Precision 9100 upgrade ?

Just out of curiosity, I checked support.dell.com.

Do you really have *Dimension* 9100s? I found no indication of a Precision
9100 model.

If they are Dimension 9100s, regular ATX power supplies...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 16th 08, 10:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 30
Posted By Bob Knowlden
First post: Help with pro-sumer homebuilt desktop upgrade

You gave up on the dual quad core capability? That's probably a good idea,
if the system that you list represents your budget. Dual socket systems tend
to use server mainboards, which can be much...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 13th 08, 10:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 76
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Any need for floppy drive in a new system?

Which OS? What drivers?

It is difficult to install some drivers for Windows XP without using a
floppy. (It is supposed to be possible to slipstream things like RAID
drivers, but I have never done...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 11th 08, 04:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Knowlden
display driver problems

You could try the latest drivers than nVidia recommends for the card:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

First: uninstall the old drivers, using the XP add/remove programs control...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 6th 08, 09:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 1
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Which connector do i use to connect to NVIDIA P118 VIDEO CARD 64MB AGP ?

Does the word "Google" suggest anything?

The card has a DMS-59 output, which gives two video outputs in a single
connector:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMS-59

It's fairly common in low-profile...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 28th 08, 10:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By Bob Knowlden
What RAM to use?

www.newegg.com has a memory configurator that includes your mainboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?submit=ENE&Configurator=MemoryConfigurator&CFG=CFG003P4R800%2DVM&DEPA=0

(link...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 27th 08, 09:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Bob Knowlden
sata hard disc

If I understand what you write, you're confused.

There is a SATA data connector, and a SATA power connector.

The data connector goes to the controller, which can be on the mainboard or
an add-on...
Forum: Cdr March 26th 08, 02:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Replies: 5
Posted By Bob Knowlden
Nero and Vista question

According to the FAQs at www.nero.com, no version of Nero 6 supports Vista.

Nero 7.5.7.0 and later work with Vista.

I'm using 7.10.1.2 with Vista Home Premium X64.

Return address scrambled....
Forum: Nvidia Videocards March 25th 08, 02:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 11
Posted By Bob Knowlden
DirectX 10 card on DirectX 9?

I don't know from personal experience, but see:

http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm

It appears that a 7600GT and an 8600GT would have essentially identical
performance under DX9, based on their...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 120