Showing results 1 to 25 of 103
Search took 0.27 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Robert McMillan
Forum: Dell Computers August 6th 09, 05:51 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Robert McMillan
Inspiron 530 laptop - restore facility ?

I am farily sure that the Inspiron 530 is a desktop as a friend has one that
is also runnning Vista and I can confirm that is has the factory restore
option though I cant remember the function key...
Forum: Dell Computers July 15th 09, 11:51 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Posted By Robert McMillan
Running Laptop With Lid Closed - Overheating

I think this will depend on the model of the laptop. I imagine the
Latitude's would be fine to run with the lid closed because that is how the
docking station/monitor stands are designed for them,...
Forum: Dell Computers June 16th 09, 09:12 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 20
Posted By Robert McMillan
(OT) What security softwares are you using?

"Daddy" wrote in message
S.Lewis wrote:
Threats change. Programs change. Times change.

Right now, I'm using:

Forum: Dell Computers May 19th 09, 03:58 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Posted By Robert McMillan
vista 64 bit

"WSZsr" wrote in message
If you just did a clean insall you wouldn't have 11gbs of restore points.
Are you sure you did a...
Forum: Dell Computers April 4th 09, 05:02 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
Posted By Robert McMillan
Best way to move files from desktop to laptop?

If both computers have gigabit network cards then crossover would be faster
than usb. 1000Mb/s vs 480Mb/s (125MB/s vs 60MB/s). Those are theoretical
values of course but if you were getting 50MB/s...
Forum: Dell Computers April 4th 09, 04:49 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Posted By Robert McMillan
Dell Hard Drive prices

I have found it is the same deal with the ram. You can buy 4gb of brnad name
DDR2 800Mhz ram for under $90aus yet Dell charge you more than this to
upgrade from 2gb to 4gb when i last...
Forum: Dell Computers April 4th 09, 04:46 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Robert McMillan
computer freeze often

Is the sata hard drive port turned on in the BIOS. Drives will often
function slowly (and unstably), but still function when attached to a port
that is turned off in the BIOS.

"Yvon"...
Forum: Intel March 22nd 09, 09:49 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 11
Posted By Robert McMillan
Ok I know its really Smack Over

I have seen a similar issue before where the computer will display all the
images up till the logon screen and then the display would just go blank.
unplug and replug the monitor on the same port...
Forum: Dell Computers March 9th 09, 09:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 126
Posted By Robert McMillan
Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have Now

"BillW50" wrote in message
In ,
Monica typed on Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:28:04 -0600:
I don't think...
Forum: Dell Computers March 6th 09, 02:41 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Robert McMillan
Dell XPS M1210 video/display problems

"Fixer" wrote in message

"Robert McMillan" wrote in message
Forum: Dell Computers March 6th 09, 12:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Robert McMillan
Dell XPS M1210 video/display problems

Update - It is the GeForce 7400M video card if that changes anything.

"Robert McMillan" wrote in message
I am looking at purchasing a...
Forum: Dell Computers March 6th 09, 11:06 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Robert McMillan
Dell XPS M1210 video/display problems

I am looking at purchasing a second hand XPS M1210 that has video problems
to see if I could fix it up and wanted to know if anyone here has any
experience with this laptop.

Seller described...
Forum: Dell Computers March 5th 09, 04:51 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Robert McMillan
XPS M1530 - no internet

Is the laptop running on mains or battery? All Dell laptops I have used have
an option that when running on battery will check for a lan cable on startup
and if it is absent disable the card to...
Forum: AMD x86-64 Processors February 26th 09, 11:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Replies: 8
Posted By Robert McMillan
Overheating Issue

Always good to hear that you resolved the issue.

"DaveN" wrote in message
In article ,...
Forum: AMD x86-64 Processors February 24th 09, 06:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Replies: 8
Posted By Robert McMillan
Overheating Issue

Um, why don't you just swap the CPU's between the two boxes and see if the
problem follows the CPU or stays on the current machine?

"DaveN" wrote in message...
Forum: Dell Computers January 29th 09, 04:51 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 30
Posted By Robert McMillan
Win XP for XPS 420

Hi Tom. Is there a reason why you don't quote messages in your replies?
As I
am assuming that your post was the last paragraph, but I am not sure.

--
Bill

I did quote the message. ...
Forum: Dell Computers January 7th 09, 12:12 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 14
Posted By Robert McMillan
How to exercise the Recovery Partition?

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Forum: Dell Computers December 21st 08, 08:41 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Robert McMillan
Dell M60 Q

If it is like the Inspiron 8600 which is also 4 years old then there is a
pinhole at the top of the keyboard near the power button, the mic is in
there.

HTH
Robert

"A New Day"...
Forum: Dell Computers December 3rd 08, 04:33 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Robert McMillan
Good gaming monitor

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
BillW50 wrote:
Bob Levine wrote on Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:26:16 -0500:
I've got a friend who's in...
Forum: Dell Computers November 24th 08, 11:13 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 39
Posted By Robert McMillan
Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

"Tom" wrote in message ...

"Robert McMillan" wrote in message
"Tom"...
Forum: Dell Computers November 23rd 08, 01:50 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 39
Posted By Robert McMillan
Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

"Tom" wrote in message ...

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
no cross posting...
Forum: Dell Computers November 12th 08, 11:23 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 13
Posted By Robert McMillan
game machine

I would spend half that much money and upgrade it twice as often because
with the rate computer hardware is improving and game requirements are
increasing there is no way what you buy today will be...
Forum: Dell Computers November 11th 08, 03:14 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 14
Posted By Robert McMillan
Inspiron 8600 BSOD at NDIS.SYS

Some thoughts on your issue. I too have an I8600 that has served me well for
a long time but has some similar issues.
1) After being put to sleep/standby the wired network card often doesnt like
to...
Forum: Dell Computers November 11th 08, 03:05 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By Robert McMillan
question on 64bit vista

4Gb should be fine unless you are planning to run some particularly ram
intensive programs. Note that for a single programs to be able to use 4gb or
more ram it also needs to be 64bit. I personally...
Forum: Dell Computers October 29th 08, 09:22 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By Robert McMillan
Is there a high-resolution monitor?

I think the only higher resolution monitor you will find are the 30" panels.
These don't have the higher DPI of your laptop one but do have a resolution
of 2560x1600. They also cost a fair bit but...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 103