Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 2.34 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Tony Harding
Forum: Dell Computers August 27th 08, 10:01 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Tony Harding
More love from MSFT - IE8

Bob Levine wrote:
Tony Harding wrote:
Microsoft Partner Program

SNIP

Just great. IE is already the bane of my existence and I've only been
doing web design for a couple of...
Forum: Dell Computers August 27th 08, 08:45 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Tony Harding
More love from MSFT - IE8

Microsoft Partner Program

On August 27, 2008, Microsoft released Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta
2 in English, German, Simplified Chinese, and Japanese. We will release
Beta 2 in an additional 21...
Forum: Dell Computers August 26th 08, 04:49 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 12
Posted By Tony Harding
Time to Format a 500 GB HDD?

Bob Levine wrote:
Nota Clu wrote:
I deleted all partitions except 55MB partition and began a full format
(NTFS) to install XP. After about 20 minutes it had only formatted 21%.
Is this...
Forum: Dell Computers August 25th 08, 09:35 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Tony Harding
dell 720

JayB wrote:
i have one sitting here, only the front is black.
the side is grey metal.
nice.
if you like a tank.

The top and sides are brushed aluminum, not exactly just gray. The front
is...
Forum: Dell Computers August 21st 08, 11:10 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 13
Posted By Tony Harding
Can I Over Clock this Biatch?

Ben Myers wrote:
You're right. I'll keep it that way. Overclocking with hardware mods is not on
my list of things to learn. One screwup in making the mod and the hardware is
history. ...
Forum: Dell Computers August 21st 08, 10:59 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
Posted By Tony Harding
DVD drive: loud buzz on system startup

Timothy Daniels wrote:
I updated the BIOS and the CD/DVD driver on my XPS-M1330
laptop last night. Now whenever the PC is started up, there is a
loud BZZZ-BZZZZT at the start of the BIOS's...
Forum: Dell Computers August 13th 08, 09:48 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Tony Harding
New notebooks

Leigh wrote:
"WSZsr" wrote in message
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080812PD203.html

Forum: Dell Computers August 9th 08, 07:35 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Tony Harding
OT (maybe, maybe not): freeware utility software

RnR wrote:
On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:22:49 -0500, journey wrote:

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 13:57:28 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:

Of course there's also...
Forum: Dell Computers July 23rd 08, 10:47 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Tony Harding
Microsoft Tries to Polish Vista

New York Times
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Technology
July 22, 2008, 11:57 am
Microsoft Tries to Polish Vista

By Saul Hansell
MS Vista

Microsoft is really taking the gloves off this time. ZDNet is...
Forum: Dell Computers July 14th 08, 02:56 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 42
Posted By Tony Harding
Bad external drive, salvaging data?

Ben Myers wrote:
In other words, you can't win no matter how you play the game... Ben

If you remember Wargames, "the only way to win is not to play". :)
Forum: Dell Computers July 14th 08, 09:21 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Posted By Tony Harding
Event ID 9 iastor on XPS410

Ben Myers wrote:
As a low-cost alternative to Spinrite, may I suggest HDA2? It is free, even.
Use it to examine the SMART attributes, which will tell you the operational
history of the...
Forum: Dell Computers July 14th 08, 07:13 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Posted By Tony Harding
Event ID 9 iastor on XPS410

Tony Harding wrote:
I've had 7 of these in the past 18 days and don't like it at all. I take
"iastor0" to be my boot drive, which is a 500GB Seagate HDD. The boot
time diagnostics say...
Forum: Dell Computers July 14th 08, 07:10 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Tony Harding
Event ID 51 Disk on XPS410

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

(running the latest Storage Matrix Manager drivers from Dell )

Title: Serial ATA: Intel Matrix Storage Manager Application
Created : Tuesday,...
Forum: Dell Computers July 14th 08, 07:08 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Posted By Tony Harding
Event ID 9 iastor on XPS410

Ben Myers wrote:
As a low-cost alternative to Spinrite, may I suggest HDA2? It is free, even.
Use it to examine the SMART attributes, which will tell you the operational
history of the...
Forum: Dell Computers July 13th 08, 05:54 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Tony Harding
Event ID 51 Disk on XPS410

I received one of these on 6 July and a cluster of 4 on 8 July. The
drive is a 750GB Seagate HDD. Dell's boot time diagnostics say all HDD's
are fine, plus I ran Seagate's diagnostics (Seatools for...
Forum: Dell Computers July 13th 08, 05:39 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Posted By Tony Harding
Event ID 9 iastor on XPS410

I've had 7 of these in the past 18 days and don't like it at all. I take
"iastor0" to be my boot drive, which is a 500GB Seagate HDD. The boot
time diagnostics say everything is good. I've...
Forum: Dell Computers July 11th 08, 06:09 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 42
Posted By Tony Harding
Bad external drive, salvaging data?

Ben Myers wrote:
Well, then, disassemble the drive, remove the platters and smash them to bits
with a sledge hammer. It all depends on how paranoid one can be. With the
Department of...
Forum: Dell Computers July 9th 08, 10:39 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 13
Posted By Tony Harding
"Forced" back to XP, loving it

Bob Levine wrote:
journey wrote:
One of my laptops became corrupted yesterday. I was running Vista
Business on it. I changed a battery but (duh) forgot to plug it in
first, so it was an...
Forum: Dell Computers July 9th 08, 06:57 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By Tony Harding
MSFT urging business partners to sell Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/english/content/software/XPEOL.mspx

(if you get a security certificate error, accept it)
Forum: Dell Computers July 6th 08, 06:04 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 42
Posted By Tony Harding
Bad external drive, salvaging data?

Ben Myers wrote:
Drive over it with your car? Take a sledge hammer to it? Drill a large hole
in it with an electric drill (used by Raytheon a number of years ago)?

I drill 4-5 holes up from...
Forum: Dell Computers July 4th 08, 08:15 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
Posted By Tony Harding
New - Dell Ultrasharp 27" 2709W Monitor

WSZsr wrote:
Dell monitors purchased separately use to carry a three year warranty.
Was yours purchased as part of a system?

Hm, no reply.
Forum: Dell Computers July 4th 08, 08:13 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 44
Posted By Tony Harding
OT Please? "F" =Boot Partition-Not C

WSZsr wrote:
No need to unplug it. Just turn it off in the BIOS.

Doesn't work across the board, e.g., works fine on my XPS410 with the
Intel BIOS; but doesn't work on my XPS720 with the nVidia...
Forum: Dell Computers July 4th 08, 08:10 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 44
Posted By Tony Harding
OT Please? "F" =Boot Partition-Not C

Brian K wrote:
Playing around with partitions and not having a deep understanding, he
probably did this....

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#08

Very interesting, thanks, Brian,...
Forum: Dell Computers July 3rd 08, 10:26 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Posted By Tony Harding
Backup Error on Dimension 8400

Juan Kerr wrote:
On Jun 14, 2:40 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:

The stop code of 0x000000&E is not in Microsoft's list of known stop codes, so
you can't rely on...
Forum: Dell Computers July 3rd 08, 10:23 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Tony Harding
restore

BillW50 wrote:
In ,
typed on Sun, 8 Jun 2008 16:59:36 -0400:
I have a XPS 420 system with vista, i would like to do a...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500