Showing results 1 to 25 of 169
Search took 5.23 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Nil[_3_]
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 27th 17, 05:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Build advice sought...

I'm planning to assemble a computer to replace my 11-year-old XP
desktop. This will be used for general computing and audio recording
and editing. No gaming. I'm planning to run Windows 7 64-bit on...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 7th 14, 09:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 51
Posted By Nil[_3_]
OT How safe is a 7-zip passworded file?

On 07 Jan 2014, "s|b" wrote in
alt.comp.os.windows-8:

That's only to scare the n00bs. ;-) I've been using 7-Zip beta
versions for ages now and never a problem. I've been...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 7th 14, 01:35 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 51
Posted By Nil[_3_]
OT How safe is a 7-zip passworded file?

On 06 Jan 2014, "s|b" wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Latest is 7-Zip 9.32 alpha. No reason not to use it. ;-)

Seems to me there are good reasons not to use it. To...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 20th 13, 08:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Disk error

On 20 Dec 2013, DC wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

If you right click and click on Hardware, does it tell you
anything more ?

No, nothing that I recognize. In the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 20th 13, 05:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Disk error

One of my hard disks may be failing - I get this occasional entry in

===========
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7
Date: 12/20/2013
Time: 7:34:00 AM
User: N/A
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 19th 13, 12:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By Nil[_3_]
4TB HD in XP

Just thought I'd let you all know how this panned out...

As was pointed out to me, neither Windows XP or my aging motherboard
will support hard discs larger than 2-ish TB. I might have the option...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 8th 13, 06:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By Nil[_3_]
4TB HD in XP

On 07 Dec 2013, VanguardLH wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

You didn't say the brand and model for a pre-built computer or the
motherboard brand and model if you built the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 7th 13, 08:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By Nil[_3_]
4TB HD in XP

I may have screwed myself. I bought a 4TB Seagate hard disk from Newegg
in a Black Friday impulse buy. My intention was to use it for backup
images, using it with my USB hard disk caddy. I've been...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 27th 13, 01:32 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 78
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Microsoft's perennial incompetence...

On 26 Nov 2013, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.os.windows-8:

It's most obvious when there is zero substance to the troll's
reply...

I see: "zero substance" like your...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 25th 13, 04:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 78
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Microsoft's perennial incompetence...

On 24 Nov 2013, Grinder wrote in
alt.comp.os.windows-8:

Your argument makes much more sense now that you've capitalized it.

If you feel you must interact with this...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 5th 13, 05:52 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 30
Posted By Nil[_3_]
No more Google Groups search?

On 04 Nov 2013, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Could be a glitch, but I can't find their search page, or "I'm not
finding their search page" if you...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 4th 13, 12:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Nil[_3_]
OT Boston Red Sox cheated to win 2013 World Series

On 03 Nov 2013, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Shut up Nildo

Go to bed, child.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 3rd 13, 09:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Nil[_3_]
OT Boston Red Sox cheated to win 2013 World Series

On 03 Nov 2013, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

http://youtu.be/W1bjcgbInaw

Horse****.

That's what bats do.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 6th 13, 10:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By Nil[_3_]
No sound when playing u-tube

On 06 Oct 2013, "Mike" wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

"Nil" wrote in message

Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 6th 13, 06:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By Nil[_3_]
No sound when playing u-tube

On 06 Oct 2013, "Timothy Daniels" wrote
in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I discovered this, too, a couple days ago. Apparently, the
default setting now is...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 4th 13, 10:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Connecting a 1.8" HDD to computer

I've been wanting to follow up on this thread but I've been traveling a
lot in the meantime and haven't had time to deal with it.

It seemed to me that the adapter almost certainly had a problem, so...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 26th 13, 09:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Connecting a 1.8" HDD to computer

On 26 Aug 2013, Flasherly wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I've an all-in-1 USB Kingston adaptor for all sorts of micro-memory
cards. Pretty fancy. Plugged in...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 26th 13, 06:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Connecting a 1.8" HDD to computer

This is slightly OT, I guess, but not entirely. Bear with me...

I'm trying to salvage an old iPod with a 20 GB hard disk. It won't
boot up, and I can hear the disk clicking and whirring...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 6th 13, 07:02 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 37
Posted By Nil[_3_]
OT Can a website get your GUID through your browser?

On 06 Jul 2013, "...winston" wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

The Internet didn't promise anything.

If you really think I meant that "The Internet" opened it's...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 3rd 13, 05:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 37
Posted By Nil[_3_]
OT Can a website get your GUID through your browser?

On 03 Jul 2013, Richard Rose wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html

Its very machiavellian in...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 2nd 13, 10:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 37
Posted By Nil[_3_]
OT Can a website get your GUID through your browser?

On 02 Jul 2013, Richard Rose wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Watch this
http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html

Google uses 57...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 30th 13, 03:35 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 22
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Does anyone know of a Universial remote what will control a WDTV player?

On 29 Mar 2013, Metspitzer wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I have had several products fail within a few months of the
warranty, and every single company honored...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 30th 13, 12:30 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 22
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Does anyone know of a Universial remote what will control a WDTV player?

On 29 Mar 2013, Robin Bignall wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

It's a pity you don't live in Britain. I would go after them with
our Sale of Goods Act and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 29th 13, 11:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 22
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Does anyone know of a Universial remote what will control a WDTV player?

On 29 Mar 2013, Metspitzer wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I may give one of those 300s a try. I may try their website and
see if it has WDTV on the list. From...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 16th 13, 06:09 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 24
Posted By Nil[_3_]
Netbook is hard to start

On 16 Feb 2013, VanguardLH wrote in alt.comp.hardware.pc-
homebuilt:

I suspect Nil's real cure is this time he fully seated the memory
modules.

I suspect that I seated and...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 169