Showing results 1 to 25 of 104
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Brian K[_3_]
Forum: Dell Computers November 1st 12, 11:42 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
first thoughts of windows 8 ?

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I'm sticking with XP, where my apps work.

Chiefly a 2005 version of Cygwin.

Ron,

Out of interest,...
Forum: Dell Computers October 30th 12, 04:24 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
first thoughts of windows 8 ?

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I'm sticking with XP, where my apps work.

Ron,

I'm still on WinXP too. I'm going to build a new...
Forum: Dell Computers October 27th 12, 11:32 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
first thoughts of windows 8 ?

Did you have to reinstall your programs?

I did clean installs with the beta Win8s. I'll buy Win8 next month when I
build a new computer. It will be a clean install and I'll have to install
apps...
Forum: Dell Computers October 26th 12, 08:41 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
first thoughts of windows 8 ?

I like Win8 and the Metro interface. It's faster than Win7 on my computer.
Forum: Dell Computers September 19th 12, 05:02 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
install 64-bit Win7 on 32-bit XPS M1330 laptop?

Tim,

One of my computers is a lot older than yours (it has a Pentium D processor)
and Win7 64-bit runs fine. I didn't install extra drivers as the ones in
Win7 were adequate.
Forum: Dell Computers September 17th 12, 02:50 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
XPS laptop with mSATA card

Thanks Tom, really great information.
Forum: Dell Computers September 16th 12, 10:30 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
XPS laptop with mSATA card

Tom,

Page 4 in this pdf confirms your advice and indicates that I should be able
to install an OS on the mSATA...
Forum: Dell Computers September 16th 12, 10:08 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
XPS laptop with mSATA card

Tom,

Here's one...

Post #19 onwards. Cruise lost 4 data partitions completely, his OS wouldn't
load, his backup images wouldn't restore and...
Forum: Dell Computers September 16th 12, 08:36 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
XPS laptop with mSATA card

Tom,

Many thanks for that. A mate plans to buy a Dell laptop in the next few
weeks and wants me to help him install WinXP as a multi-boot. It took me
years to get him off Win98 so I haven't even...
Forum: Dell Computers September 15th 12, 07:14 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
XPS laptop with mSATA card

Can you turn off the Intel Acceleration and make the mSATA card "available"
as a normal drive so its partition shows in Disk Management? We'd prefer to
not use it as a cache.

Thanks.
Forum: Dell Computers August 13th 12, 03:45 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
SATA 3 motherboards

"Mark F" wrote in message
I'd expect that Optiplex 790 and Dell Precision T5600 and T7600
have support SATA III 6gb/s on...
Forum: Dell Computers July 31st 12, 09:42 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
SATA 3 motherboards

I assume the answer is "No".

But why not? SATA III has been around for a few years.
Forum: Dell Computers July 30th 12, 11:54 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
SATA 3 motherboards

"Mark F" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:47:05 +1000, "Brian K"
wrote:

Are you...
Forum: Dell Computers July 30th 12, 09:47 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
SATA 3 motherboards

Does Dell make any computers with these motherboards? The computers I looked
at mentioned SATA 3.0 and a Dell rep mistakenly told me that it meant SATA
3.
Forum: Dell Computers March 29th 12, 03:20 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 17
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
Wireless Connection

The main reason why hiding the SSID is of no help in securing your network.
Hackers can find the SSID...
Forum: Dell Computers March 28th 12, 02:53 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 17
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
Wireless Connection

Interesting too...

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
Forum: Dell Computers March 27th 12, 09:36 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 17
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
Wireless Connection

See this page regarding password strength....

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm
Forum: Dell Computers March 26th 12, 07:27 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 17
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
Wireless Connection

I don't bother hiding the SSID as it gives you no extra security. No-one is
going to get past your WPA2 even if they sit outside your house for a few
years.
Forum: Dell Computers March 24th 12, 11:11 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 17
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
Wireless Connection

Are you referring to the SSID?
Forum: Dell Computers February 25th 12, 12:25 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
what exactly is the RECOVERY partion?

Nick,

Thanks for agreeing with my previous post. I copy the booting files from the
Recovery partition to the Win7 partition and then delete the Recovery
partition. This suits my method of backing...
Forum: Dell Computers February 22nd 12, 11:15 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
what exactly is the RECOVERY partion?

Joe,

Have a look in Disk Management. Is the Recovery Partition the Active
partition? The Active partition contains the booting files.
Forum: Dell Computers January 3rd 12, 08:39 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
Puzzling Dimension 4500S overheating problem

bill,

You should have a Utility partition on the HD. Run the Dell diagnostics.
Forum: Dell Computers December 6th 11, 08:16 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
Firewire vs. USB2

Boris,

See Post #98

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=234958&page=4
Forum: Dell Computers November 19th 11, 02:17 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
Corrupt image?

Way over 'my' head Brian. Thanks all the same.

J,

I'm sure you could cope. It's not that hard.
Forum: Dell Computers November 18th 11, 08:13 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Brian K[_3_]
Corrupt image?

How do I go about installing divers when the system won't boot to windows?
The installed image will not work remember.

I posted a link that tells you how to install drivers to a non booting...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 104