Showing results 1 to 25 of 26
Search took 1.37 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Forum: Nvidia Videocards May 6th 09, 10:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 8
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Problems With AGP BFG 6600

At a guess, the Via chipset drivers are corrupted. I believe that these
would include AGP controller drivers.

I don't know whether installing a newer version of the drivers would help...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 9th 09, 08:11 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 63
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Suggestions for Core 2 Duo systems that use PCI - not PCI express?

I suggest that you try the "power search" function for Intel motherboards at
www.newegg.com, even if you can't use them (outside US or Canada) or don't
care to use them.

I find three Socket 775...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 10th 09, 08:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Who is building high quality power supplies?

There are probably good PSUs in the 600-700W range (from PC Power & Cooling,
Corsair, some OCZ, etc). I suggest using the "power search" option at
www.newegg.com, even if you can't (or won't) do...
Forum: Asus Motherboards February 7th 09, 01:15 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 7
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
chipset fan replacement on A8N5X

If you're in the US or Canada, and want an exact replacement, use the Asus
esto

http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=231&catid=132

The part is listed as still out of stock, though,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 4th 09, 10:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Help removing heatsink

There's an official method for removing an SECC2 heatsink:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/PentiumII/packtech/24445401.pdf

As this requires special tooling, I doubt that anyone still does it.

The...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards February 2nd 09, 11:11 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
SLI with EP45 DS3r Gigabites

Your mainboard uses an Intel P45 chipset. The nVidia graphics drivers will
not support SLI on this chipset.

nVidia has not, in the past, permitted SLI on systems with Intel chipsets.
The exception...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards February 2nd 09, 11:11 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
SLI with EP45 DS3r Gigabites

Your mainboard uses an Intel P45 chipset. The nVidia graphics drivers will
not support SLI on this chipset.

nVidia has not, in the past, permitted SLI on systems with Intel chipsets.
The exception...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 27th 09, 03:05 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 30
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Western Digital VelociRaptor Models

I know nothing about them. I didn't understand that the HLFS included
standard SATA power and signal connects, if in a different location that its
cousin.

www.newegg.com still lists both...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 26th 09, 11:01 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 30
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Western Digital VelociRaptor Models

You left off the WD3000BLFS.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=459

The GLFS is the one you want, unless you can use a "backplane" model (the
HLFS), or can provide a mount with...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 9th 09, 03:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Will the Antec TPQ-1000 PSU work with high end GPUs?

That PSU is certified by AMD for *two* 4870X2 cards.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_components.aspx?p=3

A 4870X2 uses one 8 pin PCI-E power connection, plus one 6 pin. If memory
serves, a 6...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 15th 08, 06:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 25
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
64bit vista question

Do you claim to have run 32 bit drivers under 64 bit Vista? The only thing I
see from you *in this thread* is a complaint that a 32 bit "Evoluent
vertical mouse driver" won't work under...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 14th 08, 09:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 25
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
64bit vista question

Some 32 bit applications will run under Vista X64. (I believe that most
will.) Some will not. (I had to update to Photoshop CS3. CS2 didn't run
quite right, and Adobe does not support it under...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 4th 08, 07:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
RAM for Del Dimention 8100

The answer is he

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dsleest/specs.htm

You have a 400 MHz FSB machine.

I suggest not spending much money on upgrading it. (RAMBUS memory is
obsolete,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 2nd 08, 10:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
is 850w enough for crossfire gaming rig?

It's certified for two 4850s.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_components.aspx?p=3

"sillyputty" wrote in message...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 25th 08, 10:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
4 pin vs 8 pin EATX connect

I checked the manual for the PSU, because I thought that this was a pretty
recent unit.

The manual claims that it has *both* 4 pin and 8 pin 12V connectors. Is
there more than one model of the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 22nd 08, 01:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
New Intel System?

nVidia doesn't support SLI on systems with Intel chipsets. (Exception: 5400
"Skulltrail" boards. Dual Socket 771 boards, for particularly well-heeled
enthusiasts. Some forthcoming X58 boards are...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 17th 08, 08:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
PCIe and PCI-X!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci-x

(Short answer: a PCI card *may* work in a PCI-X slot. PCI-E is physcially
incompatible with PCI and PCI-X.)

I take it that you've been out of touch with the PC...
Forum: Asus Motherboards October 15th 08, 08:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
BIOS update from a DOS box inside Windows XP?

That may require a real DOS boot environment, rather than an XP command
window. (The XP window looks like DOS, but it isn't.)

If your system can be booted from a USB flash drive, your simplest way...
Forum: Asus Motherboards October 13th 08, 09:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 6
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Help to select SLI MB for E8400

If the OP wants X16 SLI, a 750i based board does not provide that: the 750i
has only 26 PCI-E lanes.

The 780i and 790i have 62 lanes, and support X16 SLI. (I believe that they
support *three*...
Forum: Asus Motherboards October 10th 08, 09:55 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 3
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Quick question for P4P800 Deluxe owners

The two SATA ports on the board are both off the Intel chipset (ICH5R). I
believe that you don't need to install any additional drivers to use a SATA
drive outside RAID mode. You may not be able to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 9th 08, 05:07 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 18
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Upgrade - never built an Intel system

You might notice that I mentioned "Skulltrail", if not the formal 5400
chipset designation. It's not a highly popular gaming board, although I
wouldn't be surprised if there are a few people using ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 7th 08, 10:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 18
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
Upgrade - never built an Intel system

The problem that I see is that SLI isn't supported on mainboards with Intel
chipsets at this time. (The Rampage Formula is an Intel X48 board.) nVidia
only supports their own chipsets in their...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 1st 08, 04:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
How do I upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit to 64-bit?

I believe that an OEM key for a 32 bit version won't work with an X64
installation. (A retail key works.) If you wish to pirate Vista, you'd best
go the whole way. I can't help you there.

If your...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 30th 08, 08:23 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
How do I upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit to 64-bit?

The link requires you to enter a 25 digit product key from a qualifying
version of Vista. I have read that OEM versions (including Vista Ultimate)
do not qualify. I found that an Academic license...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards September 29th 08, 07:15 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Replies: 2
Posted By Bob Knowlden[_2_]
ROM for PNY 8800 GT (VCG88512GXPB) bios

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,26/func,selectfolder/cat,67/page,4/