Showing results 1 to 25 of 49
Search took 0.31 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Orson Cart
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 26th 12, 09:50 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By Orson Cart
"CPU temperature" in BIOS - what circuitry is involved?

John Doe wrote:

I don't understand that. The temperature is low. The fan speed is

slow. That does not lead (me) to the conclusion that the CPU
overheated
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 25th 12, 11:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Orson Cart
Future of Computing

(DK) wrote:
Maybe the limits will prompt efforts to program more efficiently?

On daily life computing tasks, bloatware kept up with the increases
in processing...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 25th 12, 11:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By Orson Cart
"CPU temperature" in BIOS - what circuitry is involved?

I was given a PC because it "crashed after a while".
When I peeked in the BIOS settings, I noticed the CPU temperature
was too low, e.g. 19 degrees. The fan seemed to be going pretty
slow, so I guess...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 8th 12, 03:21 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By Orson Cart
Seagate hard disk is immortal

I dropped a Seagate Barracuda 7200 250 GB from a height of 1 metre onto brick
paving (hard clay brick).
I assumed that it would be fatally wounded.
Then ran the Seatools long diagnotic and there were...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 9th 12, 07:51 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Orson Cart
Yate Loon fan with thermistor - please explain

I stripped some junked PCs, and pulled a Yate Loon D12SH-12 fan from
one. It has a thermistor on about 25 cm of wire attached.
It has the standard 3-pin connector for case fans.
When I search for...
Forum: Intel January 26th 12, 12:58 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 2
Posted By Orson Cart
Why is the E7 so hard to find?

Mark F wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:42:59 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

I was excited when I heard the news that the Xeon E7 chip would
bring
to...
Forum: Asus Motherboards January 9th 12, 12:45 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 6
Posted By Orson Cart
the "I can't see all 4 GiB RAM" problem - what are the reserved

I have checked a few of my PCs, and one has 1.2 GiB missing in action,
but only has a 256 MiB graphics card (I prefer the low-power no-fan
models). I can only think this is due to a third-party chip...
Forum: Gigabyte Motherboards January 4th 12, 12:25 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Replies: 1
Posted By Orson Cart
dual BIOS - what is it good for?

I have a GA-M750SLI-DS4 with booting problems.
When switched on, you just see the hard drive light blinking,
no beeps, no display. The sort of thing you might get if you
flashed BIOS with wrong...
Forum: Asus Motherboards January 2nd 12, 03:07 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 6
Posted By Orson Cart
the "I can't see all 4 GiB RAM" problem - what are the reserved addresses?

There are thousands of posts in forums, where some novice whines:

I increased my RAM to 4 gigs but Windoze/Ubuntu only sees XXXX!

And the answer is that a significant percentage of the...
Forum: Intel January 2nd 12, 01:40 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 4
Posted By Orson Cart
Intel's chipset monopoly

VIA, SiS, ATI and NVIDIA used to make chipsets for FSB CPUs up to
Core 2 and Atom ... but all this ceased when Intel brought out
the Nehalem.
I still wonder why they have not granted permission to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 1st 12, 02:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Orson Cart
lapped CPU for better cooling?

I saw a Core 2 Quad for sale online, with the heatspread
lapped for better cooling. It has been machined right down, so
you can't read any numbers.
It is a Q6600, but the seller claims it overclocks...
Forum: Intel December 3rd 11, 01:18 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 10
Posted By Orson Cart
A quick look at Bulldozer thread scheduling

Yousuf Khan wrote:

No, but I'm also not in the market for any sort of aftermarket cooling

system either. I figure by the time I'm ready to go there, I'll be
able...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 20th 11, 03:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By Orson Cart
Memory speed question

"SC Tom" wrote:

My question is, assuming the defaults shown for each JEDEC group,
would memory running the JEDEC#1 settings be the same,
faster, or slower than the JEDEC#4...
Forum: Intel November 10th 11, 12:24 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 10
Posted By Orson Cart
A quick look at Bulldozer thread scheduling

Yousuf Khan wrote:
It looks like AMD could've saved themselves a lot of embarrassment
by
simply making the secondary cores in each module look like an...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 31st 11, 01:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By Orson Cart
are there counterfeit Antec cases?

I came across a PC case: the front looks like an old Solution SLK3800B model
that I had, but it has a windowed side like the Plusview II.
Except this side is screwed on, instead of quick-release...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 26th 11, 11:43 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By Orson Cart
what happened to Kingmax?

It appears somebody has taken over the domain kingmax.com to host a fake website
with malware script exploits to infect visitor's PCs.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 23rd 11, 02:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By Orson Cart
any low-latency DRAM without overclocking?

I picked up some HyperX PC3200 at a computer flea market.
The 256 MB module runs at 400 and 2-2-2-6 timing with 0.1 volt extra.
But the 512 MB module is even better: 2-2-2-5 at standard voltage.
So...
Forum: Intel October 21st 11, 02:47 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 5
Posted By Orson Cart
reason for AMD's Bulldozer fiasco?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20111013232215_Ex_AMD_Engineer_Explains_Bulldozer_Fiasco.html

Sounds plausible: way too many transistors plopped down by dumb automated design.
So they made...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 18th 11, 01:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Orson Cart
Insufficient current over USB ports

Man-wai Chang wrote:
I just discovered that the USB ports on my Asus M3N78-PRO motherboard

are not supplying sufficient current. The result: power-demanding
USB...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 11th 11, 12:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By Orson Cart
any low-latency DRAM without overclocking?

I was looking for some reduced latency DDR2. One example being Kingston HyperX,
but I find it needs 2.3 volts to achieve the 800CL3 claim, i.e. it is an overclocked
setup. I think with half a volt...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 29th 11, 02:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Orson Cart
AMD Phenom is unstoppable!!!!!!!! wowee

"Nobody (Revisited)" wrote:
On 9/28/2011 2:56 AM, Anonymous wrote:
I go dumpster-diving. I found a newish PC with Bluray drive,
TV tuner, DDR2-1066 RAM, 600 W power...
Forum: Intel September 26th 11, 02:33 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 1
Posted By Orson Cart
QX9770+X48 versus Nehalem?

I came across a PC mag article about the Nehamlem CPUs when they
first came out. It said the the new direct memory controller was
equivlent to 1600 MHz FSB on the old Pentium4/Core2 generations,
so...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 19th 11, 11:43 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 0
Posted By Orson Cart
anybody using LTO-5 or 3592JC for backup?

Several years ago I worked for a company that was backing up their
disk storage onto a stack of 3592 cartridges, which at the time
were 500 GB. Now we have 3 TB disks, which probably hold more...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 27th 11, 04:30 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 12
Posted By Orson Cart
what SMART attributes do you check?

Some say reallocated sector count is the one to watch out for.
I notice that Seatools for DOS shows power-on hours and maximum temperature,
as if they are most important. Perhaps so: every drive
I...
Forum: Intel August 25th 11, 02:40 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 3
Posted By Orson Cart
i7 970X = rockinghorse ****?

"Tom Lake" wrote:

The 980X might be available cheaper now that the 990X is out.

Actually there is no 970X: I was lead astray by sloppy people
who recited 970X, 98OX and...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 49