HardwareBanter

-   -   FX5600 vs. FX5700 and Ultra versions (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=51952)

Eagle November 21st 03 01:59 PM

FX5600 vs. FX5700 and Ultra versions

Hi Group !

I'm looking towards getting a new graphic adaptor for my middle-age PC
:-) Can anybody tell me if there is really a big difference between
FX5600 and FX5700 and also their Ultra versions? I mean is it worth
the money to buy an FX5700 Ultra or would a cheaper model do the job
as well. It's mainly for flying on the FS Flight Sim. Appreciate your
help on this.

Ah, and any opinion on graphic adaptors from MSI ?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you folks.
Eagle

Dark Avenger November 21st 03 08:19 PM

Eagle wrote in message . ..
Hi Group !

I'm looking towards getting a new graphic adaptor for my middle-age PC
:-) Can anybody tell me if there is really a big difference between
FX5600 and FX5700 and also their Ultra versions? I mean is it worth
the money to buy an FX5700 Ultra or would a cheaper model do the job
as well. It's mainly for flying on the FS Flight Sim. Appreciate your
help on this.

Ah, and any opinion on graphic adaptors from MSI ?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you folks.
Eagle

The FX5600 is a failed product, so screw that!

The 5700 Ultra will suit you fine for a good price :-)

Darthy November 22nd 03 06:36 AM

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:54:50 -0600, "Jbob" wrote:

Duh I found them. Does anybody make a 256 mb version? Looks like Asus
skipped this version.

What would you expect the 256mb version to give you? Look at any
review, the $400 cards gain nothing for having 256mb over 128..., the
avg is 2fps - and thats when the card is already running 120+fps,
you're not goingto see it.

A mid-range $200 card gains nothing.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Jbob November 22nd 03 04:04 PM

Well I'm building a new system for my son(gaming, FF11) and he is itching
for a 256 mb card. I told him he didn't really need it but was looking
anyway. I can't see popping for a top of the line Nividia chipset either.
That's why I'm at the 5700. Maybe I'll look at the 5800's

Darthy November 23rd 03 10:16 AM

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:04:19 -0600, "Jbob" wrote:

Well I'm building a new system for my son(gaming, FF11) and he is itching
for a 256 mb card. I told him he didn't really need it but was looking
anyway. I can't see popping for a top of the line Nividia chipset either.
That's why I'm at the 5700. Maybe I'll look at the 5800's

Well... A: Youre buying? B: You have ultimate choice...

If he really wants it, make him work for it...

A 256mb video card DOES NOTHING, unless you buy the 5950 for $500~600,
and the extra speed is NOT because it has 256mb.

What kind of CPU/mobo are you getting, case? Put that extra $50~100
towards better parts, etc. For the budger, ATI9600-XT with Half Life
2 is the best deal... or 5700Ultra-128. Not worth getting 5800s,
they have been discontinued a long time ago.

Check out this case, it TOTALLY ROCKS!

http://ap.terrabox.com/rpc - Thats about $110 for that case with
400watt PSU.

Darthy November 23rd 03 10:16 AM

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:04:19 -0600, "Jbob" wrote:

Well I'm building a new system for my son(gaming, FF11) and he is itching
for a 256 mb card. I told him he didn't really need it but was looking
anyway. I can't see popping for a top of the line Nividia chipset either.
That's why I'm at the 5700. Maybe I'll look at the 5800's

PS: I forgot to tell you, if you're getting a NVIDIA board, yes MSI
makes excellent card with good low-noise fans...

This is based on PERSONAL EXPERINCES with GF4 and 5900