HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Catalyst resolution settings not sticking? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=174933)

Gary January 15th 09 07:11 PM

Catalyst resolution settings not sticking?

I thought it was about time I upgraded my driver for the old 9500 Pro, so I
completely uninstalled the old one (6.4) and installed the latest:
8-12_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_72271
All was fine to begin with but upon rebooting it no longer remembers the
resolution settings and reverts to 1024x768 :(

I've done a search but can't see a reason for this, any suggestions are
welcome.

Regards,
Gary

Augustus[_3_] January 16th 09 03:10 PM

"Gary" wrote in message
I thought it was about time I upgraded my driver for the old 9500 Pro, so I
completely uninstalled the old one (6.4) and installed the latest:
8-12_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_72271
All was fine to begin with but upon rebooting it no longer remembers the
resolution settings and reverts to 1024x768 :(

I've done a search but can't see a reason for this, any suggestions are
welcome.

Regards,
Gary

Try just the display driver and not the entire Ctalyst suite.
(it's the one with 8-12_xp32_dd_72271.exe file name) Failing that, post more
details about your system as well as trying progressively older display
driver versions from the present......

Gary January 17th 09 01:21 AM

"Augustus" wrote in message

Try just the display driver and not the entire Ctalyst suite.
(it's the one with 8-12_xp32_dd_72271.exe file name) Failing that, post
more details about your system as well as trying progressively older
display driver versions from the present......

Thanks. I've not had a chance to do that yet, but it would appear the
problem is caused after setting the TV display. This defaults to 1024x768
(where it normally shows a scrolled portion of my desktop 1680x1050
resolution). It doesn't appear this figure can be changed and thereafter
causes the desktop to always boot into 1024x768 :(

Gary January 17th 09 01:35 PM

Catalyst resolution settings not sticking?

I've switched back to an older version: catalyst-8-111-050222a-021277c

No problem with that, so it's clearly a problem with the later/latest
version(s)

Gary January 18th 09 12:39 PM

Catalyst resolution settings not sticking?

I've since tried other earlier versions, the problem seems to be appear with
the big change in Catalyst, I think when it requires Net Framework to
function. Anyone know the final version before this?

It seems such a glaring error I'm amazed that no-one else has encountered it
and that it's not been fixed by now.

Mike Ray January 19th 09 03:28 PM

Gary wrote:
I've since tried other earlier versions, the problem seems to be appear with
the big change in Catalyst, I think when it requires Net Framework to
function. Anyone know the final version before this?

It seems such a glaring error I'm amazed that no-one else has encountered it
and that it's not been fixed by now.

I just put upgraded to a HD3650. If CCC has to reset my card my desk top
always goes back to 1024x768 (from 1280x1024). This only seems to happen
with one game (Raven Shield) and then not often. A bigger problem I has
is CCC, for some reason, begins to grow in memory usage until my desk
top begins to slow down and then studder. I have to start Task Manager
and close CCC which fixes everything. I would remove CCC but the card
reset lets me continue the online game to get to good exit point (or get
killed...LOL). I used the driver on the HD3650's CD, I will update
sometime soon.