HardwareBanter

-   Printers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   How to Write a Driver (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=194853)

Guv Bob[_4_] October 4th 14 01:27 AM

How to Write a Driver

Anywhere to look online explaining how to write a driver program -- or modify one written for one OS to use with an older OS? I can compose code but have never had to do a driver.

Thanks.

Bob

Gernot Hassenpflug[_4_] October 6th 14 02:39 AM

How to Write a Driver

"Guv Bob" writes:

Anywhere to look online explaining how to write a driver program -- or
modify one written for one OS to use with an older OS? I can compose
code but have never had to do a driver.

Presumably you would have to have the source code, which is generally
not available for most drivers. I would suspect even the printer
manufacturer often does not have access to the source code, as drivers
are very often developed by third-party companies.

Under linux, the gutenprint project delivers inkjet (and some
dye-sublimation and laser) drivers for a host of printers. So if you are
interested in looking at code, that is one option. There is no
maintained port of gutenprint to Windows, so if you are interested in
that, rather than writing something entirely from scratch, contact the
gutenprint developer mailing list (Google will point you to the homepage
of the project).

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug
--