HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   netgear wireless router DG834G (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=177865)

Des May 21st 09 10:20 AM

netgear wireless router DG834G

Hi. I have the above wirless router. I am not a networkin engineer.
But I do know that computers can be networked together. I am assuming
that this is a joint wirless modem and router combination. I have 2
PCs connected (via a cable) to the router and can surf the internet on
both. Can I network the 2 PCs so that I can see the contents of the
other PC.

Desmond.

Des May 21st 09 10:50 AM

On May 21, 10:29*am, david wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2009 02:20:55 -0700, Des rearranged some electrons to say:

Hi. I have the above wirless router. I am not a networkin engineer. But
I do know that computers can be networked together. I am assuming that
this is a joint wirless modem and router combination. I have 2 PCs
connected (via a cable) to the router and can surf the internet on both..
Can I network the 2 PCs so that I can see the contents of the other PC.

Desmond.

Yes, you can.

Ok thanks for this. This would be a great help. I am not a network
guy. Both PCs are on Win XP Po. I right click on a folder and get.

Des May 21st 09 10:55 AM

On May 21, 10:50*am, Des wrote:
On May 21, 10:29*am, david wrote:

On Thu, 21 May 2009 02:20:55 -0700, Des rearranged some electrons to say:

Hi. I have the above wirless router. I am not a networkin engineer. But
I do know that computers can be networked together. I am assuming that
this is a joint wirless modem and router combination. I have 2 PCs
connected (via a cable) to the router and can surf the internet on both.
Can I network the 2 PCs so that I can see the contents of the other PC.

Desmond.

Yes, you can.

Ok thanks for this. This would be a great help. I am not a network
guy. Both PCs are on Win XP Po. I right click on a folder and get.

sharing and security. the pop up window has an option for network
setup wizard for remote access. (the internet ?) or not using the
wizard.

Conor[_2_] May 21st 09 11:10 AM

netgear wireless router DG834G

In article e291a8a4-ccb4-484d-8630-b44571f0f7e2
@o14g2000vbo.googlegroups.com, Des says...

On May 21, 10:50*am, Des wrote:
On May 21, 10:29*am, david wrote:

On Thu, 21 May 2009 02:20:55 -0700, Des rearranged some electrons to say:

Hi. I have the above wirless router. I am not a networkin engineer. But
I do know that computers can be networked together. I am assuming that
this is a joint wirless modem and router combination. I have 2 PCs
connected (via a cable) to the router and can surf the internet on both.
Can I network the 2 PCs so that I can see the contents of the other PC.

Desmond.

Yes, you can.

Ok thanks for this. This would be a great help. I am not a network
guy. Both PCs are on Win XP Po. I right click on a folder and get.

sharing and security. the pop up window has an option for network
setup wizard for remote access. (the internet ?) or not using the
wizard.

Don't bother using the wizard. Just go to Control Panel, Windows
Firewall and make sure File and Printer Sharing is added to the list of
exceptions.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

Des May 21st 09 11:16 AM

On May 21, 10:50*am, Des wrote:
On May 21, 10:29*am, david wrote:

[...]

I am not using windows firewall. I have zone alarm.
Desmond

Des May 21st 09 11:52 AM

On May 21, 10:50*am, Des wrote:
On May 21, 10:29*am, david wrote:

[...]

Desmond- Hide quoted text -

I have checked firewall settings and folder and printer is checked on
both PCs.
Microsoft help tells me to go to Computer managment Shared folders
Shares. Then New file share on the Action menu. I dont have this menu
item.
Desmond.

Rarius May 21st 09 03:17 PM

netgear wireless router DG834G

I am not using windows firewall. I have zone alarm.
Desmond

Uninstall ZoneAlarm.. you don't need it. That router has a pretty good
firewall built in, which unless you've deliberately disabled it, is more
than good enough.

Once ZA is disabled and you've enabled File sharing in XP, you'll be up and
running.

Rarius

Don Phillipson[_4_] May 21st 09 04:59 PM

"Des" wrote in message

Don't bother using the wizard. Just go to Control Panel, Windows
Firewall and make sure File and Printer Sharing is added to the list of
exceptions.

I have checked firewall settings and folder and printer is checked on
both PCs.
Microsoft help tells me to go to Computer managment Shared folders
Shares. Then New file share on the Action menu. I dont have this menu
item.

For first-time users, the Network Wizard is the best way to start
networking. You configure the host PC under WinXP Pro, then
create a floppy to do the other PC automatically. This works.

For test purposes, on each PC select (highlight) one folder,
then Right Click for /Properties, then select to Share this
(with no password.) When you see the PCA test folder from
PCB (and vice versa) you can add Sharing for other folders
to suit your convenience.

On the microsoft.public NGs for networking you are likely to
find more specific answers to your questions e.g. see
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...rksetupwiz.htm

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Des May 22nd 09 08:32 AM

On May 21, 10:50*am, Des wrote:
On May 21, 10:29*am, david wrote:

[...]

Desmond.- Hide quoted text -

I have disabled Zone alarm and file simple file sharing is enabled
(Folder options view). Should there be something in My computer to
add a remote drive w x or y ?