HardwareBanter

-   AMD x86-64 Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   powernow on amd64 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=92128)

Vermyndax March 24th 05 04:05 PM

powernow on amd64

I currently have Cool N Quiet disabled in my BIOS. I didn't think it
would have that big of an impact on my processor's health, so I switched
it off. With WinXP 64-bit about to come out, I'm rethinking this. Is
there anyone using it and what benefits has it provided you (if any)?

--JM

Beemer March 24th 05 04:29 PM

"Vermyndax" wrote in message
I currently have Cool N Quiet disabled in my BIOS. I didn't think it
would have that big of an impact on my processor's health, so I switched
it off. With WinXP 64-bit about to come out, I'm rethinking this. Is
there anyone using it and what benefits has it provided you (if any)?

--JM

Nice to see someone not bothered by fan noise.

Beemer

Derek Baker March 24th 05 06:53 PM

"Vermyndax" wrote in message
I currently have Cool N Quiet disabled in my BIOS. I didn't think it
would have that big of an impact on my processor's health, so I switched
it off. With WinXP 64-bit about to come out, I'm rethinking this. Is
there anyone using it and what benefits has it provided you (if any)?

Less heat = less noise = :)

--
Derek

Ed Light March 24th 05 07:50 PM

Sure runs cool, except under extended high load. Saves energy.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Ed Light March 24th 05 07:51 PM

BTW It does require the AMD driver.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

RT March 24th 05 08:26 PM

"Vermyndax" wrote in message
I currently have Cool N Quiet disabled in my BIOS. I didn't think it
would have that big of an impact on my processor's health, so I switched
it off. With WinXP 64-bit about to come out, I'm rethinking this. Is
there anyone using it and what benefits has it provided you (if any)?

--JM

Does it have anything to do with your processors health?

I just upgraded and I was thinking of using it at nights when I download,
little CPU power is needed and with summer coming it might heat up the room
less (or less chance of overheating).

New AMD 64 user

Wes Newell March 24th 05 08:52 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:05:23 -0600, Vermyndax wrote:

I currently have Cool N Quiet disabled in my BIOS. I didn't think it
would have that big of an impact on my processor's health, so I switched
it off. With WinXP 64-bit about to come out, I'm rethinking this. Is
there anyone using it and what benefits has it provided you (if any)?

By itself Cool N Quiet does nothing. But it has to be enabled to run
powernow, which is the ability to lower vcore and multiplier while
running. Th lowest setting on mine is , which it runs at least
95% of the time. When under a load it will jump to and when
over under heavy load it will set the cpu vcore to default (1.5v) and
raise the multuplier to default 10, on mine, for 2000MHz. The actual speed
is determined by the FSB x multiplier. So if I had the FSB set to 210, the
speeds would be 840,1890, and 2100MHz. With a cooler that automatically
adjust fan speed, it would keep the fan speed down u at low settings when
the cpu is at low speed, and raise fan speed when running max. With just a
plain cooler, the speed never changes and it doesn't get any quieter
unless you have software speed control like qfan or something.

General Schvantzkoph March 24th 05 10:47 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:05:23 -0600, Vermyndax wrote:

I currently have Cool N Quiet disabled in my BIOS. I didn't think it
would have that big of an impact on my processor's health, so I switched
it off. With WinXP 64-bit about to come out, I'm rethinking this. Is
there anyone using it and what benefits has it provided you (if any)?

--JM

It makes a huge difference, 99% of the time the CPU will be running at
it's lowest clock speed which reduces the power enough so that the CPU fan
isn't needed.

Derek Baker March 24th 05 10:47 PM

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news:pan.2005.03.24.20.54.51.940087@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
[...]

You don't have to have a smart cooler, some (all?) motherboards will control
the fan speed; my K8N Neo does.

--
Derek

Wes Newell March 25th 05 01:03 AM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:47:56 +0000, Derek Baker wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

I think that's exactly what I said. And the answer to your "(all?)' is no,
not all do. How many do I don't know. Probably 50% or less.