HardwareBanter

-   -   7800gtx (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=116008)

[email protected] December 31st 05 06:19 AM

7800gtx

I assembled my pc last month and i wanted the best
graphics card the market can offer. Just then The 7800 GTX came out. It
was one baby every gamer would wan't to hold.(At least try it once). I
desperately wanted to buy it. The price was a bit exaggerated
i thought (Actually it costed more than my assembled pc(2 GB ram, AMD
athlon 6400,2 MB L2 cache, 120 GB hardrive,Dell 8 bit LCD...... ). But
i managed to buy it. I almost became breathless when i played
POP:TTT(prince of persia : the two thrones). It almost made me cry. And
NFS:MW was totally rocking!

Even if ur not able to buy it, jus' try it
somewhere, it's worth killing someone u love(if ur a hardcore gamer)!
believe me.

Taipan December 31st 05 12:09 PM

7800gtx

wrote in message
oups.com...
I assembled my pc last month and i wanted the best
graphics card the market can offer. Just then The 7800 GTX came out. It
was one baby every gamer would wan't to hold.(At least try it once). I
desperately wanted to buy it. The price was a bit exaggerated
i thought (Actually it costed more than my assembled pc(2 GB ram, AMD
athlon 6400,2 MB L2 cache, 120 GB hardrive,Dell 8 bit LCD...... ). But
i managed to buy it. I almost became breathless when i played
POP:TTT(prince of persia : the two thrones). It almost made me cry. And
NFS:MW was totally rocking!

Even if ur not able to buy it, jus' try it
somewhere, it's worth killing someone u love(if ur a hardcore gamer)!
believe me.

An Athlon 6400? Where can I buy one? :D

Really though, don't get too hung up on graphics cards, once the novelty
factor wears off and you realise you still can't run F.E.A.R or CoD2 on max
settings and you start reading reviews of newer and faster cards. I've made
this mistake too many times, paying over the odds for the 9800 Pro and
X800XT and this time waitied a bit before adding a 7800gt to my main system
(and when they come down even further, may add a second depending on the
state of the market at the time).

--
TP

System Specs: http://www.progression-uk.com/systems.html

ragav December 31st 05 04:21 PM

7800gtx

Yah man u re'lly get bugged up when the manufaturers start reducing the
prices jus' after we buy. But if u're trying to invest in ur PC. Jus'
wait some more...Till the ultimate baby..... The 64 bit processers
arrive...Right now They're a bit costly and the sofwares are'nt much
supportive..(We HAVE got the MS 64 bit XP (os), but they still don't
have the applications like MS office etc....) It requires some time to
get mature. These 64 bit processers are just out of the range. They r
no more like the todays pc. they provide full freedom for the game
developers so that they can create games which treat pc like a console.
Right now there is only one game which has been truely made for the 64
bit processers.

And for the athlon 6400 it's just my mistake I was jus reffering to the
64 X2.

Benjamin Gawert December 31st 05 08:19 PM

7800gtx

ragav schrieb:

The 64 bit processers
arrive...Right now They're a bit costly

I don't know where you live but at least here only really ultra-cheap
low cost PCs are not 64bit (i.e. some el-cheapo Duron systems), besides
most notebooks...

But I don't see 64bit CPUs arriving, they actually are already there...

and the sofwares are'nt much
supportive..(We HAVE got the MS 64 bit XP (os), but they still don't
have the applications like MS office etc....

So what do you expect an 64bit Office doing better than the 32bit version?

) It requires some time to
get mature. These 64 bit processers are just out of the range. They r
no more like the todays pc. they provide full freedom for the game
developers so that they can create games which treat pc like a console.

Well, the current 64bit PC processors _are_ like todays PCs. 64bit
indeed gives new possibilities but more for real-life applications like
databases and certainly less for games...

Right now there is only one game which has been truely made for the 64
bit processers.

Well, there are 64bit compilations of 32bit games from which one also
includes some improvements that also could have been done to the 32bit
version...

Benjamin, running Windowsxp 64bit since 2001 ;-)

ragav January 1st 06 12:47 PM

7800gtx

Benj, I see that u have a 64 bit pc. That does'nt mean that everyone
has it. It _has_ arrived! everybody in the world knows that.But what i
actually meant was that it has to get a lil' popular. IF ur playing a
32-bit game in a 64-bit processor it does'nt make any difference!!
Games which r especially dedicated for 64-bit processor only use the
full potential of the processor. For ur kind info, 32-bit PCs r not
exaxtly like the 64's.They'll have perfect edge over the 32bit WHEN u
hav 64-bit applications. It is true that the hardware manufacturers
advertise that there r a lot of applications...But it has to go lil'
bit further on that.

Benjamin Gawert January 1st 06 05:45 PM

7800gtx

ragav schrieb:

Benj, I see that u have a 64 bit pc. That does'nt mean that everyone
has it.

Well, of course the majority of used PCs is still 32bit (and that will
probably be the case for at least another year). But _new_ computers
which are available in stores are already 64bit for over a year now...

It _has_ arrived! everybody in the world knows that.But what i
actually meant was that it has to get a lil' popular. IF ur playing a
32-bit game in a 64-bit processor it does'nt make any difference!!

Exactly.

Games which r especially dedicated for 64-bit processor only use the
full potential of the processor. For ur kind info, 32-bit PCs r not
exaxtly like the 64's.

They are. Except the 64bit enhancement in the cpus they are basically
the same like 32bit PCs...

They'll have perfect edge over the 32bit WHEN u
hav 64-bit applications.

Of course, the same way for example a Mac has the perfect edge over a
Windows PC when running Mac programs ;-)

Besides that, 64bit doesn't automatically make a program run faster.
Really, usually most 64bit programs indeed are a bit _slower_ than their
32bit counterpart if the program can't make use of the specialities
64bit offers (i.e. bigger address space, additional registers)...

It is true that the hardware manufacturers
advertise that there r a lot of applications...But it has to go lil'
bit further on that.

Well, the are a few professional applications (i.e. expensive MCAD
packages) for WIN64, but basically that's it. For the consumer markets
there are just the few games for which a 64bit client also is available,
but they hardly justify the move to Winxp 64bit...

Benjamin

benjamin January 2nd 06 04:46 PM

7800gtx

Benjamin Gawert
Benjamin i think that ur a comp pro(well,I'd like to be one
*desperately*)
well right now i'm just a highschool kid.And i live in India.

Any personal info on urself that u'd like to share with me?

Well, of course the majority of used PCs is still 32bit (and that will
probably be the case for at least another year). But _new_ computers
which are available in stores are already 64bit for over a year now...

And they're still not popular?r'nt they worth buying? do they suck?
R'nt they meant to be better than 32-bit????(Well if there's one person
who can answer all these questions, it might b u. B'cause u use a 64)

Except the 64bit enhancement in the cpus they are basically
the same like 32bit PCs...

what kinda enhansmant?

Besides that, 64bit doesn't automatically make a program run faster.
Really, usually most 64bit programs indeed are a bit _slower_ than their
32bit counterpart if the program can't make use of the specialities
64bit offers (i.e. bigger address space, additional registers).

But y'd any mad Guy make an application which does'nt make use of the
specialities that the platform has to offer?(*bigger address space,
additional registers* wat ever that means?)

Well, the are a few professional applications (i.e. expensive MCAD
packages) for WIN64, but basically that's it. For the consumer markets
there are just the few games for which a 64bit client also is available,

well that might be an answer for the lack of popularity of 64-bit(It
won't be like this all the time!!)

R u a gamer by any chance?
(well i'm a hardcore gamer.)

but they hardly justify the move to Winxp 64bit...

But benj dear, u OWN a 64 bit pc, does that essentially mean that ur a
softie pro(software pro) or ur not a part of the consumer market?

ur's rAgAv.

Benjamin Gawert January 2nd 06 05:50 PM

7800gtx

benjamin schrieb:

Benjamin Gawert
Benjamin i think that ur a comp pro

Well, this is part of my job for over 15yrs now. Besides other work I'm
also responsible for a ****load of workstations (Windows and HP9000),
servers (Windows and HP-UX on PA-RISC and Itanium) and three
supercomputers (HP Superdome Integrity). That probably makes me
something like a "pro" but then I know the business market very well but
I have no clue of what mainboard or cpu is the best for overclocking or
what is the best watercooling or such things, simply because I rarely
have contact with generic do-it-yourself parts at all. So in this case,
I'm probably a "noob" (is that spelled correctly?) also ;-)

(well,I'd like to be one
*desperately*)
well right now i'm just a highschool kid.And i live in India.

Any personal info on urself that u'd like to share with me?

Sorry, but I usually don't give too much info about myself away,
especially details what exactly my job is for for whom I work as my
employee doesn't like that. Most things that might (or might not) be of
interest should already be stored by groups.google.com.

I live in Germany (Bavaria, to be exactly) where it snows alot in
winter. I hate snow ;-)

Well, of course the majority of used PCs is still 32bit (and that will
probably be the case for at least another year). But _new_ computers
which are available in stores are already 64bit for over a year now...

And they're still not popular?r'nt they worth buying? do they suck?
R'nt they meant to be better than 32-bit????(Well if there's one person
who can answer all these questions, it might b u. B'cause u use a 64)

64bit is nothing new. The first 64bit processor reached mass production
around 1991 (MIPS R4000) and was used in several desktop computers and
servers from several manufacturers (i.e. SiliconGraphics). Around 1994
the first 64it operating systems followed (Digital Tru64, SGI IRIX 6,
HP-UX 11.0). For standard PCs it's new, but for RISC systems 64bit is
quite old. Even the Apple Macintosh (or "Mac" as Apple calls them today)
is already 64bit (PowerPC G5 and MacOS X 10.3/10.4). 64bit Windows also
is nothing really new as in 2001 when MS announced the (at that time
new) Windowsxp they also delivered the final version of "Windowsxp
Professional 64bit Edition" which runs on IA64 machines (Itanium).

There are several reasons for the move from 32bit to 64bit. The first
(and probably most important as it's already a limiting factor for
several applications!) is that 64bit systems can address more memory
(4096 MBytes w. 32bit vs 17592186044416 MBytes with 64bit). The 4GB
limit of 32bit systems (which in real life is a 3.5GB limit on PCs due
to the PCI address space) already was a heavy bottleneck for huge
databases over 8 years ago, and it is for more and more applciations
(i.e. HDTV video editing and composing, huge CAD projects, image
processing etc) already. So 64bit is the way to go...

Another benefit of 64bit systems are the wider registers and the higher
precision which is important for i.e. scientific calculations...

Except the 64bit enhancement in the cpus they are basically
the same like 32bit PCs...

what kinda enhansmant?

AMDs Athlon64/Opteron and intels EM64T processors are not "real" 64bit
processors. Unlike other 64bit platforms like Itanium, SPARC, or PA-RISC
the AMD64 (or "x64" as itÄs also called) is a 64bit expansion on top of
the standard 32bit x86 ISA (Industry Standard Architecture). That's why
these processors often are called "64bit enhanced" or "64bit extended".

This is practically irrelevant as they do everything 64bit as their
"real" 64bit brethren are doing...

Besides that, 64bit doesn't automatically make a program run faster.
Really, usually most 64bit programs indeed are a bit _slower_ than their
32bit counterpart if the program can't make use of the specialities
64bit offers (i.e. bigger address space, additional registers).

But y'd any mad Guy make an application which does'nt make use of the
specialities that the platform has to offer?(*bigger address space,
additional registers* wat ever that means?)

Well, Office is a good example. There is no use to make a 64bit Word
application, as the purpose of this program has exactly _zero_ benefit
from everything 64bit offers. So there is no practical reason to build a
64bit text processing program...

It's another thing for Excel (spreadsheet) and Access (database) because
spreadsheet applications usually are used for calculations, and
databases (well, usually not Access) often want more RAM than 4GB, so it
might make sense to make them as 64bit applications...

Well, the are a few professional applications (i.e. expensive MCAD
packages) for WIN64, but basically that's it. For the consumer markets
there are just the few games for which a 64bit client also is available,

well that might be an answer for the lack of popularity of 64-bit(It
won't be like this all the time!!)

The problem is that 64bit is not an advantage for every program or for
games. For the professional market 64bit is standard for over a decade
now, and for the mass market it's just a buzz word. The use for the
mainstream market is extremely limited...

However, modern 64bit processors like Athlon64 also got optimized for
32bit programs which makes them faster than their 32bit-only
predecessors even if you run only 32bit Windows and 32bit programs...

R u a gamer by any chance?
(well i'm a hardcore gamer.)

Sure. Mainly single player fps (like HL2, FEAR, GTA etc) and also some
few 3D RPGs like Vampire or GTA ;-)

but they hardly justify the move to Winxp 64bit...

But benj dear, u OWN a 64 bit pc, does that essentially mean that ur a
softie pro(software pro) or ur not a part of the consumer market?

I'm not part of the consumer market (well, how many consumers buy a HP
Dual XEON workstation just for fun?). I have several computers at home,
but if it had been just for fun I probably hadn't spend all that much
money for them and probably had bought something more generic (i.e.
single processor computer). But then, the price for the computer wasn't
that high (HP has very attractive prices for their Dual XEON and Dual
Opteron workstations which made it not much more expensive than building
myself), but the memory upgrade was (4x2GB DDR2 ECC cost an arm and a
leg today)...

Benjamin

benjamin January 3rd 06 12:54 PM

7800gtx

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
benjamin schrieb:

Benjamin Gawert
Benjamin i think that ur a comp pro

Well, this is part of my job for over 15yrs now. Besides other work I'm
also responsible for a ****load of workstations (Windows and HP9000),
servers (Windows and HP-UX on PA-RISC and Itanium) and three
supercomputers (HP Superdome Integrity). That probably makes me
something like a "pro" but then I know the business market very well but
I have no clue of what mainboard or cpu is the best for* OVERLOCKING* or
what is the best watercooling or such things, simply because I rarely
have contact with generic do-it-yourself parts at all. So in this case,
I'm probably a "noob" (is that spelled correctly?) also ;-)

I've heard of a lot of softie pros groaning abt their loads of work
(Here). Most of them don't even spend their time with their family.It
seems being a softie pro is after all a bitch. (I'm ready to take the
risks, cause i wanna be one *an animator or a game developer or
somethin' of that sort.*)
& fort the '*oob',
Oh s dear u've spelled it correct.(He he...)

Sorry, but I usually don't give too much info about myself away,
especially details what exactly my job is for for whom I work as my
employee doesn't like that. Most things that might (or might not) be of
interest should already be stored by groups.google.com.

What i exactly meant by personal info was ur age,married or single. or
somethin' of that sort, not the place where u work in,(I'm least
interested in that any way,*But I'm sure interested in the super comp,
u talked abt.Can u explain what u use it for?*)

I live in Germany (Bavaria, to be exactly) where it snows alot in
winter. I hate snow ;-)

yah, icould've guessed that u're from Germany(From the way u write..(&
wat does schrieb mean any way?)

did u say "SNOW"?
Boy i love snow!! cause i've never seen snow. Here even winter seems
like summer (a lot) And the summer....Dont even have to talk abt it.

[...]

Dude, way to go!!! I JUS' LOVE GTA Series, right now I'm playing GTA
SA. I guess u've finished it (By the way, Did u enjoy the HOT
coffe....).I have a total collection of the series,(well jus' kick off
those GTA 2,and london edition.....) And My personal favourites are
maxPAyne2,Doom3,NFS MW, POP:TTT(The two thrones )Im playin' it right
now.(I also collect the PoP series...)I think we both have the same
taste.Even i like FPS, but, sometimes i play deathmatches, when invited
by friends.(who turn into enemies when we reach the cyber cafe')

I'm not part of the consumer market (well, how many consumers buy a HP
Dual XEON workstation just for fun?). I have several computers at home,
but if it had been just for fun I probably hadn't spend all that much
money for them and probably had bought something more generic (i.e.
single processor computer). But then, the price for the computer wasn't
that high (HP has very attractive prices for their Dual XEON and Dual
Opteron workstations which made it not much more expensive than building
myself), but the memory upgrade was (4x2GB DDR2 ECC cost an arm and a
leg today)...

Wish u a non snowy day.
rAgAv

Benjamin Gawert January 3rd 06 05:21 PM

7800gtx

benjamin schrieb:

I've heard of a lot of softie pros groaning abt their loads of work
(Here). Most of them don't even spend their time with their family.It
seems being a softie pro is after all a bitch.

That's true, at least for most programmer positions. Often enough a
programmer is barely more than a secretary, and often also paid the same...

(I'm ready to take the
risks, cause i wanna be one *an animator or a game developer or
somethin' of that sort.*)

Well, that's probably something different as is most work in art and
entertainment. Certainly not quite comparable to a programmer that is
working on the next office package...

Working in the art and entertainment market isn't a bad idea at all, if
you have something like a creative side (I for example don't). There
always is room for games, especially if you are aware that gfx isn't
everything and that gameplay is much more important...

What i exactly meant by personal info was ur age,married or single. or
somethin' of that sort, not the place where u work in,(I'm least
interested in that any way,*But I'm sure interested in the super comp,
u talked abt.Can u explain what u use it for?*)

We do different things on them, mostly it's doing CFD (Computational
Fluid Dynamics, which means calculating and simulating the flow of
liquids/gasses over surfaces and the resulting effects; we need it for
aerospace purposes)...

did u say "SNOW"?
Boy i love snow!! cause i've never seen snow. Here even winter seems
like summer (a lot) And the summer....Dont even have to talk abt it.

You can't believe how I envy you ;-) Sow is great for most tourists we
have here because they come here for skying and such for a few days and
then go back wherever they live with less or even no snow. But if you
have to live there you usually get fed up very fast with the white cure...

Sure. Mainly single player fps (like HL2, FEAR, GTA etc) and also some
few 3D RPGs like Vampire or GTA ;-)

Dude, way to go!!! I JUS' LOVE GTA Series, right now I'm playing GTA
SA. I guess u've finished it

Yuo, but still play around with it (one of the great things in GTA is
that even if you finished the gameplay itself you still can do things in
the environment). Actually I'm playing GTA VC again...

(By the way, Did u enjoy the HOT
coffe....).

No, I never installed it. IMHO it's nothing that adds to much to the
game fun, at least for me...

have a total collection of the series,(well jus' kick off
those GTA 2,and london edition.....)

I only have GTA III, VC and SA. But I really love them...

And My personal favourites are
maxPAyne2,Doom3,NFS MW, POP:TTT(The two thrones )Im playin' it right
now.(I also collect the PoP series...)I think we both have the same
taste.Even i like FPS, but, sometimes i play deathmatches, when invited
by friends.(who turn into enemies when we reach the cyber cafe')

Well, besides GTA I also liked Deus Ex, Vampires-Masquerade, the Thief
series (well, Thief 2 and 3 more, didn't like Thief 1 that much),
Drakan, and also HL2...

I found Doom3 rather boring, with very low motivation to finish it, and
I got even more bored by the addon "Ressurection of Evil"...

Wish u a non snowy day.

Thanks, but sadly it's currently snowing again :-(

Benjamin