HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Servers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Extending array (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=150855)

Shiraz May 16th 07 01:50 PM

Extending array

I have a MSA 30 with RHEL 4. I used the HP Array utilities to expand
the array over 2 new drives. The expansion is done according to the HP
insight but when i do a df -k, i dont see the extra added space. any
suggestions?
thanks in advance

Nut Cracker May 16th 07 03:42 PM

Extending array

"Shiraz" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a MSA 30 with RHEL 4. I used the HP Array utilities to expand
the array over 2 new drives. The expansion is done according to the HP
insight but when i do a df -k, i dont see the extra added space. any
suggestions?
thanks in advance

i imagine that you now must expand your file system to occupy the additional
space.

Shiraz May 16th 07 05:35 PM

Extending array

On May 16, 9:42 am, "NuT CrAcKeR"
wrote:
"Shiraz" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have a MSA 30 with RHEL 4. I used the HP Array utilities to expand
the array over 2 new drives. The expansion is done according to the HP
insight but when i do a df -k, i dont see the extra added space. any
suggestions?
thanks in advance

i imagine that you now must expand your file system to occupy the additional
space.

Thats the part i am having issues with. Do i need to have LVM for that
or are there any other ways to do that?

Nut Cracker May 16th 07 07:20 PM

Extending array

"Shiraz" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 16, 9:42 am, "NuT CrAcKeR"
wrote:
"Shiraz" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have a MSA 30 with RHEL 4. I used the HP Array utilities to expand
the array over 2 new drives. The expansion is done according to the HP
insight but when i do a df -k, i dont see the extra added space. any
suggestions?
thanks in advance

i imagine that you now must expand your file system to occupy the
additional
space.

Thats the part i am having issues with. Do i need to have LVM for that
or are there any other ways to do that?

On a linux platform, I honestly wouldnt know.

I imagine you could create a new mount point to that parition, or ... i dont
know.

If you were using windows, I could tell you how to do it.

Sorry I cant be of more assistance on this.

- LC

Rick F. May 17th 07 09:39 PM

Extending array

On 2007-05-16, Shiraz wrote:
On May 16, 9:42 am, "NuT CrAcKeR"
wrote:
"Shiraz" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have a MSA 30 with RHEL 4. I used the HP Array utilities to expand
the array over 2 new drives. The expansion is done according to the HP
insight but when i do a df -k, i dont see the extra added space. any
suggestions?
thanks in advance

i imagine that you now must expand your file system to occupy the additional
space.

Thats the part i am having issues with. Do i need to have LVM for that
or are there any other ways to do that?

There's always the brute force way -- mount another (different) partition,
copy over all the existing data, rebuild/repartition the "too-small" partition
and go from there.. Certainly not the nicest way to go but it would certainly
work if you've got a few hours to spare and some spare disk space as well..

VinceV May 17th 07 11:25 PM

Extending array

You might want to give this how to a read
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resi...xt3_partitions

It deals primarily with ext3 formatted partitions. You didn't say
which one you used.

VinceV

Phil May 18th 07 12:52 AM

Extending array

Unfortunately, you have omitted all the fine details to be specific.
This might be a more informative link to help you at this point.
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w..._Disk_Capacity

oups.com...