HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Front Panel Audio Connections (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=29152)

Paul November 21st 03 06:48 PM

Front Panel Audio Connections

Hi,

I've just finished buiding a new computer based around an Asus A7V8X-X
motherboard. The case the used was supplied by CCL Computers (Model
9950) but did not come with any info listing what the cables in the
case were for and/or how or where they should be connected. This has
not proven to be much of a problem as most connections are obvious,
however the same cannot be said for the Front Panel Audio connections.
Basically I'm having trouble determining what individual lead needs to
be plugged on to what pin on the motherboard.

There are two cables from the case that I need to connect to the
motherboard in order to make use of the case's front Headphone and
Microphone sockets...

Cable 1:

MIC-PWR
MIC-IN
GROUND
RET-R

Cable 2:

R-OUT
L-OUT
RET-L

On the motherbard I have...

MIC2 : AGND
MICPWR : +5VA
Line Out_R---BLINE_OUT_R
NC : no pin
Line Out_L---BLINE_OUT_L

--- = Connected to each other by a jumper.

Now looking at what I have I would say the connections should be...

MIC-PWR - MICPWR
MIC-IN - MIC2 (or +5VA?)
GROUND - AGND

RET-R - BLINE_OUT_R ?
R-OUT - Line Out_R ?
L-OUT - Line Out_L ?
RET-L - BLINE_OUT_L ?

Either way you still end up with 2 connections on the motherboard that
are not used?

Can anyone offer any advice as to the correct connections? Thanks in
advance. :)

Paul November 22nd 03 09:24 AM

In article , Paul
wrote:

[...]

The "NC" pin on the motherboard stands for "No Connection", meaning
the pin is not electrically connected. The +5VA is a direct connection
to the +5 rail. Neither pin needs to be connected.

MICPWR is connected to +5 on the motherboard but with a current
limiting resistor of 1K or 2K ohms value. MICPWR is suitable for
powering electret microphones and is the correct pin to use.

Your wiring looks good.

MIC-PWR - MICPWR
MIC-IN - MIC2
GROUND - AGND