HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Asus & nvidia drivers under Linux (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=28985)

Gregory Toomey November 15th 03 01:44 PM

Asus & nvidia drivers under Linux

I installed Mandrake linux on a a7n266-vm which has the nforce chipset.
Everything was OK except for the integrated ethernet, which was abysmally slow (10K/sec) but CPU usage was 100%.

I finally tracked this down to ACPI, which causes all sorts of strange problems under linux when the nVidia drivers are installed. Problems range from slow ethernet to X Windows not working.

The solution is the set ACPI=OFF when booting the linux kernel and all the problems magically disappear.

gtoomey

Ben Pope November 15th 03 03:07 PM

Gregory Toomey wrote:
I installed Mandrake linux on a a7n266-vm which has the nforce
chipset.
Everything was OK except for the integrated ethernet, which was
abysmally slow (10K/sec) but CPU usage was 100%.

I finally tracked this down to ACPI, which causes all sorts of
strange problems under linux when the nVidia drivers are installed.
Problems range from slow ethernet to X Windows not working.

The solution is the set ACPI=OFF when booting the linux kernel and
all the problems magically disappear.

Yep. You may want to turn off APIC as well.

You using kernel 2.4 or 2.6?

I was getting probems under heavy hard disk load, I compile in ACPI and
APIC, but disable them. You can get away with noacpi, I think... which
gives you some of the ACPI stuff. (I can't really remember this, it's all
in the nForcersHQ Linux forums)

Ben

Gregory Toomey November 15th 03 10:56 PM

It was a dark and stormy night, and Ben Pope managed to scribble:

Gregory Toomey wrote:
I installed Mandrake linux on a a7n266-vm which has the nforce
chipset.
Everything was OK except for the integrated ethernet, which was
abysmally slow (10K/sec) but CPU usage was 100%.

I finally tracked this down to ACPI, which causes all sorts of
strange problems under linux when the nVidia drivers are installed.
Problems range from slow ethernet to X Windows not working.

The solution is the set ACPI=OFF when booting the linux kernel and
all the problems magically disappear.

Yep. You may want to turn off APIC as well.

You using kernel 2.4 or 2.6?

2.4

I was getting probems under heavy hard disk load, I compile in ACPI and
APIC, but disable them. You can get away with noacpi, I think... which
gives you some of the ACPI stuff. (I can't really remember this, it's all
in the nForcersHQ Linux forums)

Ben

Yes, its very confusing. It took me time to diagnose the problem as the symptoms seem to be varied.

gtoomey