HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Remote Wonder II won't work (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=82733)

JD March 13th 05 08:08 PM

Remote Wonder II won't work

My Remote Wonder II doesn't work, no matter what I do. I can still get
the original RW to work, but not RW2. The one I have has a round base
unit with no light on it (unlike the original, which has a light).
When I load the RW2 software, reboot, and plug in the base unit,
Windows XP recognizes that base unit, but the icon doesn't load in the
system tray (if I then plug in the original RW base unit, the icon
does load).

I recently reloaded XP and all my programs onto a clean system but
still could not get RW2 to work. I've tried various suggestions I've
seen on the Web but not work for me.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Pagan March 14th 05 05:29 AM

"JD" wrote in message
My Remote Wonder II doesn't work, no matter what I do. I can still get
the original RW to work, but not RW2. The one I have has a round base
unit with no light on it (unlike the original, which has a light).
When I load the RW2 software, reboot, and plug in the base unit,
Windows XP recognizes that base unit, but the icon doesn't load in the
system tray (if I then plug in the original RW base unit, the icon
does load).

I recently reloaded XP and all my programs onto a clean system but
still could not get RW2 to work. I've tried various suggestions I've
seen on the Web but not work for me.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Um, there is a light on mine. It's faint, but it's there. A red LED seen
through the plastic.

Anyway, these things are finicky. They don't like hubs, and work best when
plugged directly into a USB port on the back of the computer.

It's possible they don't like USB 2.0, but I haven't confirmed that.

Way back when, it didn't work reliably. Now, with the new drivers, I
haven't had a problem.

Make sure your remote and receiver are on the same channel, and try changing
the channel, just in case something else is jamming it.

Pagan

JD March 14th 05 11:32 PM

"Pagan" wrote:

Um, there is a light on mine. It's faint, but it's there. A red LED seen
through the plastic.

Anyway, these things are finicky. They don't like hubs, and work best when
plugged directly into a USB port on the back of the computer.

It's possible they don't like USB 2.0, but I haven't confirmed that.

Way back when, it didn't work reliably. Now, with the new drivers, I
haven't had a problem.

Make sure your remote and receiver are on the same channel, and try changing
the channel, just in case something else is jamming it.

Pagan

Thanks for your help. My RW2 unit is 3/4 round (straight at the top),
black on top and gray on the bottom. It has holes for two plugs to be
used for later expansion. Is your unit the same one? If so, where is
the LED located?

JD

Cqtip March 15th 05 01:52 AM

JD wrote:
"Pagan" wrote:

Um, there is a light on mine. It's faint, but it's there. A red LED seen
through the plastic.

Anyway, these things are finicky. They don't like hubs, and work best when
plugged directly into a USB port on the back of the computer.

It's possible they don't like USB 2.0, but I haven't confirmed that.

Way back when, it didn't work reliably. Now, with the new drivers, I
haven't had a problem.

Make sure your remote and receiver are on the same channel, and try changing
the channel, just in case something else is jamming it.

Pagan

Thanks for your help. My RW2 unit is 3/4 round (straight at the top),
black on top and gray on the bottom. It has holes for two plugs to be
used for later expansion. Is your unit the same one? If so, where is
the LED located?

JD

The following link has a picture of the unit. I was looking for a
better picture but this will have to do:

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/rw2/img/base.jpg

This is a view from the top; the black half. The back of the unit is
where the cable is attached. The bottom half is gray not seen in this
view.

When viewed from the front (both the top black and bottom gray half's
are visible) and opposite from the back, the LED is mounted inside the
black half, directly in line with the cable in the rear. If it is on you
would have no problem seeing it. It flashes (off & on, to back on) when
any button is pressed on the remote.

Cqtip

JD March 17th 05 02:32 AM

Cqtip wrote:

The following link has a picture of the unit. I was looking for a
better picture but this will have to do:

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/rw2/img/base.jpg

This is a view from the top; the black half. The back of the unit is
where the cable is attached. The bottom half is gray not seen in this
view.

When viewed from the front (both the top black and bottom gray half's
are visible) and opposite from the back, the LED is mounted inside the
black half, directly in line with the cable in the rear. If it is on you
would have no problem seeing it. It flashes (off & on, to back on) when
any button is pressed on the remote.

Cqtip

Thanks for this description. This is the same unit I have. When I plug
it in, it shows up in Device Manager as ATI Remote Wonder II
Controller. But there's no LED that is on or that flashes. Perhaps
mine is defective, although if that's the case I wouldn't expect it to
show up in Device Manager at all.