HardwareBanter

-   -   How do you know when a video card is failing? (Not caused by over heating) (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=51927)

sNuffles November 20th 03 07:11 AM

How do you know when a video card is failing? (Not caused by over heating)

Hello,

I had freeze ups and artifacts during 3d game play.
I got some dust remover. I cleaned the dust.
I rebooted & got scan lines in the boot up routine.
I rebooted again and the lines went away.
Unfortunately games still fail to render.

Used PassMark PerformanceTest V4.0 to do some tests.
Less than 2 fps :?(

Windows runs fine but I don't turn off my pc. Maybe there
would be more problems if I did.

Maybe my Geforce2 MX/400MX is old even though the pc was brewed in
March 2003.

It has a heat sink but no fan. Is it heat that is the cause?
How do you know when the video card is failing?

Help please,
--
Windows XP Home Edition
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz

llamaboiz November 20th 03 12:52 PM

*yes im top posting, and???*

Well when dealing with computers, its really hard to tell what the cause of
a problem is so my best advise to you? You have a decent rig why you have a
G2 in there... i dont know (it was a left over i bet). Your card is your
rigs bottleneck, just get a G4Ti4200/4800, FX5600, or some ati crap. Im
assuming you put the G2 in there cuz you had it or it was cheep, well a 5600
would do nice if you need dx9 stuff. Any higher card and it'd just be a
waste with your present set up.

Oh yea, thats not the point of your post... but thats the answer i'll give.
Trust me, if your a gamer you 'WILL' notice a huge differance. Trust me, im
using a candle and white paper. *hope to upgrade to a mag-lite soon*

sNuffles November 20th 03 09:33 PM

Thanks llamaboiz,

I'm doing just that; looking into a new NVIDIA card.
They're cheap enough now (I'am frugal as you guessed)
to just replace rather than try to fix.