HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Weird solution to Halo performance (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=42435)

zlo October 21st 03 09:15 AM

Weird solution to Halo performance

This game has been running like crap on my system. It hasn't even been
playable at 800x600, or 1024x768. I've heard about issues with AA so i
always turn it off. My system is 1.2 athlon, 512DDR, 9700pro, 4x agp.
Well i thought i would do something really stupid, out of boredom. I bumped
it up to 1600x1200 to see how low i could go with my framerate. I could let
it sit, and just watch the screen at 16x12 and dream about what it would be
like to see it move smoothly at such a nice res. Low and behold, it runs a
100% better at 1600x1200! Why??? It's actually playable now, and if i had a
faster cpu, i bet it would run even smoother all the time. It's really
awesome to finally see this game in hi res, but i don't understand why it
runs so much better at 1600x1200 than 800x600. The only thing i can think of
is that by raising the res, it's telling the card to take more of the load
rather than the cpu? With the exclusion of AA and AF, this is true of my
other games too. I get better framerates at 1600x1200 than i do at 1024x768.

Inglo October 21st 03 09:44 AM

On 10/21/2003 1:15 AM zlo befouled our nation with:

[...]

I doubt if its 100% better or really much better at all, but you're
describing a CPU bottleneck precisely. I don't know really know what
happens when you combine a card like that and a processor that slow, it
does remind me back when I had a Voodoo3 running on a 300 MHz Celeron,
games ran a little faster at 1280x1024 than they did at 800x600 or at
least it felt that way.

Running Halo at 1600x1200 sure as hell isn't faster on my system. :-P

--
"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich."

Steve [Inglo]

Sparrow October 21st 03 10:23 AM

I"m not sure that's possible. At higher resolution, the cpu is working just
as hard, but the framerate cape becomes the video card, not the cpu as is
with lower resolutions. It would be possible to get the same framerate when
going from a lower to a higher resolution. Which is I think what's happening
in your case since you have a very fast video card but a slow cpu. Try
runnning fraps in the background while playing to check you fps. Getting
higher framerates at higher res. is extremely unlikely
. net...

Ben Pope October 21st 03 10:52 AM

zlo wrote:
This game has been running like crap on my system. It hasn't even been
playable at 800x600, or 1024x768. I've heard about issues with AA so i
always turn it off. My system is 1.2 athlon, 512DDR, 9700pro, 4x agp.

CPU is pretty slow (in terms of cutting edge - I'm not sure what Halo
typically requires)

Well i thought i would do something really stupid, out of boredom. I
bumped it up to 1600x1200 to see how low i could go with my framerate. I
could let it sit, and just watch the screen at 16x12 and dream about what
it would be like to see it move smoothly at such a nice res. Low and
behold, it runs a 100% better at 1600x1200! Why??? It's actually playable
now, and if i had a faster cpu, i bet it would run even smoother all the
time.

Thats interesting to say the least. Did you ONLY change the resolution?
Did bumping the resolution that high disable something else (like, I
dunno... AA)

It's really awesome to finally see this game in hi res, but i don't
understand why it runs so much better at 1600x1200 than 800x600. The only
thing i can think of is that by raising the res, it's telling the card to
take more of the load rather than the cpu?

Nah, what the CPU does and what the GPU does is pretty clearly defined by
the drivers, regardless of resolution. I suspect that raising the
resolution disabled something else, that was causing the game to run slow.

With the exclusion of AA and
AF, this is true of my other games too. I get better framerates at
1600x1200 than i do at 1024x768.

That is odd. I always run at 1600x1200 so I can't say I've noticed :-)

Ben

Pluvious October 21st 03 05:43 PM

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 05:23:51 -0400, "Sparrow" wrote:

I"m not sure that's possible. At higher resolution, the cpu is working just
as hard, but the framerate cape becomes the video card, not the cpu as is
with lower resolutions. It would be possible to get the same framerate when
going from a lower to a higher resolution. Which is I think what's happening
in your case since you have a very fast video card but a slow cpu. Try
runnning fraps in the background while playing to check you fps. Getting
higher framerates at higher res. is extremely unlikely

You can get a frame rate counter (built in) by hitting CTRL-F12.

Pluvious

.net...

zlo October 22nd 03 02:44 AM

i will try ctrl f12, because fraps will not work with my cpu. says it lacks
sse instructions or something.

--
www.geocities.com/mtb2k -my site

wrote:

I"m not sure that's possible. At higher resolution, the cpu is working

just
as hard, but the framerate cape becomes the video card, not the cpu as is
with lower resolutions. It would be possible to get the same framerate

when
going from a lower to a higher resolution. Which is I think what's

happening
in your case since you have a very fast video card but a slow cpu. Try
runnning fraps in the background while playing to check you fps. Getting
higher framerates at higher res. is extremely unlikely

You can get a frame rate counter (built in) by hitting CTRL-F12.

Pluvious

.net...

JAD October 22nd 03 03:41 PM

when you install MAYA (non bootleg) will tell you in the beginning of the install that there will be changes made to your system. I
cannot give specifics as I do not own that software. However, during my training at college, we had the option to use whichever
software we wanted on a new bank of machines. We took the initiative to install the software ourselves, that's when I discovered
this. I did not do the virtual dub install, but through the grapevine heard that games stopped running exceptionally after the
software was installed. All this makes sense as this software is normally installed and hardly ANYTHING else, in the work
environment. It is not printed on the web page(at least not anywhere I have found) but it does discuss it briefly in the install
manual that comes with the software. I know I know black & white is the only way you'll except this....well I don't have it, but I
can tell you through experience with the software, this is true... these kids have no business having that SW ITFP. It can only be
ripped off, And as a retired professional I resent the fact that they do....even Adobe and their release of 'essentials' ****ed me
off.

Take it the way you will, I rarely post things that I cannot prove, but this is one time that my experience will have to do....

"Ben Pope" wrote in message ...
JAD wrote:
you are aware that (in your prior post) that MAYA and all that other
expensive software was never meant to be installed in conjunction with
'games', There are subtle changes made to various system and driver
files.

Hmm... not sure what you mean by that. Do you have any specifics?

Ben

Ben Pope October 22nd 03 04:06 PM

JAD wrote:
[...]

Well off-hand I can see no reason to directly modify system files that would
affect game performance.

I suspect that in certain situations whats happening is that it's
introducing a layer in the drivers that is adding some kind of functionality
but slowing down the rendering overall. Who knows... anything is possible.

Ben