HardwareBanter

-   -   AGP 7800s? Or PCI-X only? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=104304)

Olaf August 12th 05 06:40 AM

AGP 7800s? Or PCI-X only?

Are there any?

I bought a new mobo late last year to go with an AMD 4000. I already had an
X800 Pro, AGP, so I didnt feel like going PCI Express at the time (and they
were brand new) and having to get a new GFX card.

Well, now I want a 7800 but it seems like they are PCI-X only? Why is that?
Does anyone know if the next gen ATI part will have an AGP version? The
R520 or whatever it is?

TIA
olaf

Dragoncarer August 12th 05 10:50 AM

"Olaf" wrote in message
.. .
Are there any?

I bought a new mobo late last year to go with an AMD 4000. I already had
an X800 Pro, AGP, so I didnt feel like going PCI Express at the time (and
they were brand new) and having to get a new GFX card.

Well, now I want a 7800 but it seems like they are PCI-X only? Why is
that? Does anyone know if the next gen ATI part will have an AGP version?
The R520 or whatever it is?

TIA
olaf

At this stage, only the PCI-E (PCI-X refers to an outdated technology, while
most people don't care - I don't - watch out for technodweebs who'll crack
it, just a friendly warning) versions of the 7800 line are available.
I haven't heard anything about nVidia releasing AGP versions.

But perhaps with enough customer demand, they may produce some. Start
whingeing to nVidia now!!!

As for ATI, I have no idea. They may manufacture some AGP, it might help to
give them a little bit of a better footing against nVidia.

jammie August 12th 05 03:35 PM

"" wrote:
Are there any?

I bought a new mobo late last year to go with an AMD 4000. I
already had an
X800 Pro, AGP, so I didnt feel like going PCI Express at the
time (and they
were brand new) and having to get a new GFX card.

Well, now I want a 7800 but it seems like they are PCI-X only?
Why is that?
Does anyone know if the next gen ATI part will have an AGP
version? The
R520 or whatever it is?

TIA
olaf

I may b wrong here but I think you might b on about the nvidia 7800
not ati as im not sure if they do one. If it is the nvidia card then
they usualy do bring out an agp version of there cards a little later
than the PCI-Express

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia...pict60364.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304968

Benjamin Gawert August 12th 05 03:45 PM

Olaf wrote:

I bought a new mobo late last year to go with an AMD 4000. I already
had an X800 Pro, AGP, so I didnt feel like going PCI Express at the
time (and they were brand new) and having to get a new GFX card.

Well, now I want a 7800 but it seems like they are PCI-X only?

There are no PCI-X Geforce cards. You probably mean PCI Express which
is appreviated "PCIe". PCI-X is something different (enhancement of the
old PCI bus, usually used in servers and workstations for NICS,
FC-Controller and SCSI/SATA HBAs)...

Benjamin

J. Clarke August 12th 05 07:00 PM

Dragoncarer wrote:

"Olaf" wrote in message
.. .
Are there any?

I bought a new mobo late last year to go with an AMD 4000. I already had
an X800 Pro, AGP, so I didnt feel like going PCI Express at the time (and
they were brand new) and having to get a new GFX card.

Well, now I want a 7800 but it seems like they are PCI-X only? Why is
that? Does anyone know if the next gen ATI part will have an AGP version?
The R520 or whatever it is?

TIA
olaf

At this stage, only the PCI-E (PCI-X refers to an outdated technology,

Tell Intel that it's "outdated". All of their server boards have it.
You're confusing "high end" with "outdated".

while most people don't care - I don't - watch out for technodweebs who'll
crack it, just a friendly warning

You should care, otherwise one of these days you're going to order a PCI-X
something or other and wonder why you can't put it in your PCI Express
slot.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Larry Roberts August 13th 05 12:28 AM

You should care, otherwise one of these days you're going to order a PCI-X
something or other and wonder why you can't put it in your PCI Express
slot.

Is PCI-X in production? I did a search for PCI-X, and only
find references to PCI-E. I don't think there are any videocards that
are PCI-X, or any other device for that matter.

DaveW August 13th 05 12:39 AM

No. The video processing power of the latest cards from Nvidia and ATI
require the much faster speed of the PCI-Express bus. You chose unwisely,
I'm afraid.

--
DaveW

.. .

Phil Weldon August 13th 05 01:12 AM

'Larry Roberts' wrote:
| Is PCI-X in production? I did a search for PCI-X, and only
| find references to PCI-E. I don't think there are any videocards that
| are PCI-X, or any other device for that matter.
_____

Gee, google gives ~691,000 hits for 'PCI-X'. You might find the PCI SIG
organization helpful, as it maintains PCI bus standards (
http://www.pcisig.com/home ) .

Phil Weldon