HardwareBanter

-   Ati Videocards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   X800 Xt PE, Serious problem (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=48679)

[email protected] February 6th 05 12:49 AM

X800 Xt PE, Serious problem

I just bought the Sapphire version of the X800 XT Platinum Edition to
be a part of my all-new system. I installed the card and connected it
to it's own molex from the power supply, but when I boot the machine so
that I can install Windows, I get an on-screen message in red lettering
saying that I have not connected the video card to the power cable. I'm
not sure if my card is defective or if I've connected something wrong.
Any suggestions?

Augustus February 6th 05 01:04 AM

wrote in message
ps.com...
I just bought the Sapphire version of the X800 XT Platinum Edition to
be a part of my all-new system. I installed the card and connected it
to it's own molex from the power supply, but when I boot the machine so
that I can install Windows, I get an on-screen message in red lettering
saying that I have not connected the video card to the power cable. I'm
not sure if my card is defective or if I've connected something wrong.
Any suggestions?

You running a quality power supply in that box, or just a generic one? I
would not even think about running a generic ps with a card like that.

[email protected] February 6th 05 02:05 AM

It's a good one, manufactured by Rosewill, which doesn't have a big
name, but a friend has been running his big system with this PS, which
is 500 watts with high voltage, and it's been perfect. The system
consists of the video card plus a 120 gig hard drive, a DVD-ROM, 1 gig
of Kingston RAM and AMD's Athlon 64 4000+ processor so it's fairly
demanding but not anything out of order for a high end machine.

Augustus February 6th 05 02:16 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
It's a good one, manufactured by Rosewill, which doesn't have a big
name, but a friend has been running his big system with this PS, which
is 500 watts with high voltage, and it's been perfect. The system
consists of the video card plus a 120 gig hard drive, a DVD-ROM, 1 gig
of Kingston RAM and AMD's Athlon 64 4000+ processor so it's fairly
demanding but not anything out of order for a high end machine.

You may have already done this, but try a different Molex connector from the
power supply. Preferably one that is on it's own, not one that's the 2nd or
3rd on a chain. If you still get the message, install the card into a
different system and see what message you get there. It's possible the card
is bad, but the more likely culprit is the ps.

Lou February 6th 05 02:17 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
It's a good one, manufactured by Rosewill, which doesn't have a big
name, but a friend has been running his big system with this PS, which
is 500 watts with high voltage, and it's been perfect. The system
consists of the video card plus a 120 gig hard drive, a DVD-ROM, 1 gig
of Kingston RAM and AMD's Athlon 64 4000+ processor so it's fairly
demanding but not anything out of order for a high end machine.

I have the same card and similar setup with a cheapy Coolmax 400W PS (very
quiet) and it works fine. Does the video card fan spin up when you turn the
PC on? Does the card power connector look damaged or bent?

[email protected] February 6th 05 05:03 AM

You may have already done this, but try a different Molex connector
from the
power supply. Preferably one that is on it's own, not one that's the
2nd or
3rd on a chain. If you still get the message, install the card into a
different system and see what message you get there. It's possible the
card
is bad, but the more likely culprit is the ps.

Already tried both options and got the same results. I switched out the
350 watt PS that came with the tower for this 500 watt Rosewill and
have the same problem.

[email protected] February 6th 05 05:06 AM

have the same card and similar setup with a cheapy Coolmax 400W PS
(very
quiet) and it works fine. Does the video card fan spin up when you turn
the
PC on?

Yes, it spins up to normal speed but then slows WAY down, and then I
get the message on-screen.

Augustus February 6th 05 05:42 AM

Already tried both options and got the same results. I switched out the
350 watt PS that came with the tower for this 500 watt Rosewill and
have the same problem.

It did the same thing with 2 different power supplies? And you tried the
card in a different system and still got the same no power message? Then
card itself is the problem. Hopefully you can return or exchange it without
a problem.

[email protected] February 6th 05 08:20 AM

s this a PCI-E card by chance?

No, it's the AGP version, but otherwise it's identicle.

needed to connect the molex cable (y
cable that came with card) to the card, motherboard, and power for it
work.

Huh? My mobo is connected to a different kind of connecter than is the
video card. I have the video card connected via molex to it's own power
cable, and it's inserted in the AGP slot.

[email protected] February 6th 05 08:21 AM

It did the same thing with 2 different power supplies?

Yupp.

And you tried the
card in a different system and still got the same no power message?

Yupp, tried the card in a different system with a 3rd power supply,
same problem.