HardwareBanter

-   -   drivers for Riva TNT2 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=54740)

Gregory Abbey August 5th 04 02:53 PM

drivers for Riva TNT2

Hello..

Have a Diamond Viper with nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB. It's in a Dell 610
Wkstn with dual 500MHz Xeon CPU's and 10k SCSI's. The latest driver
installed is 4.4.0.3 since an attempt to install a newer one caused
problems when a 2nd Matrox PCI card was involved. Therefore I never
went any higher that 44.03 -- The application is mainly FS2002.

Question is: any point in updating driver?? or does Riva TNT2 top out
with certain version release? Also interested in tweaker features
useful in Flightsim such as `scenery mipping' and `shimmering' in the
distant scenery at Hi-res. Also please point out how-to docs on this
subject.

-G

André Janz August 6th 04 11:08 AM

Hi,

Gregory Abbey wrote:

Have a Diamond Viper with nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB. It's in a Dell 610
Wkstn with dual 500MHz Xeon CPU's and 10k SCSI's. The latest driver
installed is 4.4.0.3 since an attempt to install a newer one caused
problems when a 2nd Matrox PCI card was involved. Therefore I never
went any higher that 44.03 -- The application is mainly FS2002.

Question is: any point in updating driver?? or does Riva TNT2 top out
with certain version release?

Well, to get the maximum performance with a TNT2 you should install the
oldest drivers you can get (for Win2k/XP - with Win9x 2.08 is quite
optimal). Newer drivers are optimized for later video cards and while
they still work with the TNT2 they are often a couple of fps slower.
Only use newer drivers if you have issues which these drivers fix (eg.
some game needs a newer DirectX version which is not supported by the
old driver).

Also interested in tweaker features
useful in Flightsim such as `scenery mipping' and `shimmering' in the
distant scenery at Hi-res. Also please point out how-to docs on this
subject.

There are a lot of tools like RivaTuner which you can use for tweaking.
But I'm not sure if you can fix your issues since AFAIR the TNT2 can't
do FSAA or true trilinear filtering which might help you. (I think there
was a hidden option in some driver versions to emulate FSAA but that was
*really* slow.)

André