HardwareBanter

-   General (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   New HD for Sony Vaio? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=6333)

sid derra September 25th 04 05:59 PM

New HD for Sony Vaio?

hi

my girlfriend "inherited" a sony vaio pcg-808 notebook which runs still
great and serves her well for her purposes. the only problem by now is the
pretty dinky hard drive. so we would like to upgrade it to a 20 gig hd and
shop for that online. i am pretty savvy concerning anything about desktop
hardware, but am pretty new to all the laptop stuff:

so what i wanted to ask: what kind of specs does a HD need to work with a
Sony Vaio PCG-808? what do i need to pay attention to, so it will fit and
communicate with the rest of the system later on?

thanks a lot!
sid

Jan Alter September 25th 04 06:21 PM

How about going to Sony Support and find the manual for your specific beast
to learn its innards.
That way you can find out the specs you need for replacement.

--
Jan Alter

or

sid derra September 25th 04 10:57 PM

"Jan Alter" wrote in message
How about going to Sony Support and find the manual for your specific

beast
to learn its innards.
That way you can find out the specs you need for replacement.

well - i basically just wonder: what different kinds of laptop hd's are
there? i mean - desktops pretty much are divided into ide and scsi and thats
about it - is it as easy with notebooks, or are there plenty more parameters
i need to match?

thanks - sid

Matthew Maddock September 26th 04 01:37 PM

It would be normal for the notebook to have a 2.5in IDE drive, a
direct replacement should be fairly easy to fit - once you have managed
how to get the original out!

They do not have an IDE cable/power supply leads as per desktop
hard drives - the connector is "on board" and the drive is just pushed
into place.

As previous poster stated, check the specs for correct drive, but I'd
be surprised if you could not just fit any 2.5in IDE laptop drive widely
avail. from most suppliers, and eBay!

Matt.

sid derra September 27th 04 08:10 AM

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message
. uk...
It would be normal for the notebook to have a 2.5in IDE drive, a
direct replacement should be fairly easy to fit - once you have managed
how to get the original out!

They do not have an IDE cable/power supply leads as per desktop
hard drives - the connector is "on board" and the drive is just pushed
into place.

As previous poster stated, check the specs for correct drive, but I'd
be surprised if you could not just fit any 2.5in IDE laptop drive widely
avail. from most suppliers, and eBay!

hi matt - thanks a lot - that was the exact answer i was looking for. i had
the disk out before, so i am familiar with thet. i just wasnt sure if thats
THE standard or not.

what i also wondered: is there a way/adapter to connect a 2,5in IDE to a IDE
cable of a desktop? just wondering...

sid

Bronney Hui September 27th 04 11:19 AM

Sid,

What you probably want is an ide 3.5 or 2.5" notebook hdd with casing for a
USB 2.0/1.0 output jack.

The casing is sold separately and they're pretty sleek. All you do is plug
in the usb to the usb on the vaio. Accessing via usb is kinda slower than
ide but would be find if the apps are hdd intensive.

Or try one of these prefabbed:

http://www.imation.com.hk/products/superslim.php

"sid derra" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...

Matthew Maddock September 27th 04 10:24 PM

what i also wondered: is there a way/adapter to connect a 2,5in IDE to a
IDE
cable of a desktop? just wondering...

I do believe there is, but not sure where to get one! I recall seeing them
advertised
somewhere.

Matt.

kony September 27th 04 11:28 PM