HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   P4P800 DLX and third IDE chanel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=25804)

John June 30th 03 02:30 PM

P4P800 DLX and third IDE chanel

In article ,
says...
On P4P800 dlx mobo I want to connect dvd-rom on third IDE chanel
(primary raid connector).
Why?
?Cause I have on 1. IDE chanel my HD drive as master and on 2. IDE
chanel I have CDRW Plextor as master and DVDRW Pioneer as slave.
AFAIK it not god to have on same IDE chanel HD drive and CDROM so I want
to use third IDE chanel.
Problem is that mobo doesnt detect device on third IDE connector.
RAID controler is disabled in BIOS.
Any suggestions?

The third IDE channel is the SATA channel not the VIA RAID controller.
There are some PATA to SATA adapters out there. Get one and use it on
your HD then use the remaining IDE channels to connect your CD and DVD.

Cliff July 1st 03 01:41 AM

I was just reading the manual for this board...you can't connect ATAPI
devices to the RAID connectors (pg 2-27).

Not too many options
- put HD on Primary RAID and DVD-ROM on Primary IDE.
- run DVD as slave to HD (not really recommended)
- turf an optical drive...probably not what you want to achieve
- get an IDE card that supports ATAPI...good luck...I read they can be a bit
quirky.

Cheers, Cliff

--
dV
Thanks God, I'm an Atheist!

D. Vujaklija July 2nd 03 06:51 AM

In article ,
says...
I was just reading the manual for this board...you can't connect ATAPI
devices to the RAID connectors (pg 2-27).

Not too many options
- put HD on Primary RAID and DVD-ROM on Primary IDE.
- run DVD as slave to HD (not really recommended)
- turf an optical drive...probably not what you want to achieve
- get an IDE card that supports ATAPI...good luck...I read they can be a bit
quirky.

Cheers, Cliff

Thanks for reply Cliff.
I have another question for your 1st suggestion: is it necessary to use
raid if I connect HD to pri_raid port or just enable VIA controler for
raid and not set_up raid (use it as standard IDE port)

--
dV
Thanks God, I'm an Atheist!

DCWhitty July 2nd 03 01:33 PM

[...]

You can run HDs, optical drives and other IDE devices on the Primary and
Secondary IDE channels;

You can run HDs on the Third and Fourth IDE channels IF they are S-ATA (or
P-ATA, with P-ATA to S-ATA converters);

You can run HDs on the VIA RAID ports as RAID, Non-RAID, or a combination of
both (I'm running RAID 0, and 2 independent disks on these controllers).

The VIA RAID controller configures attached HDs as independent disks
(Non-RAID) by default. You only get RAID if you intentionally set it up.

HTH

Des