HardwareBanter

-   Asus Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mobo Recommendation (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=160892)

name[_2_] November 23rd 07 02:27 AM

Mobo Recommendation

I need an AM2 mobo recommendation.
I'm a PC tech, I don't need SLI (I'm not a gamer), but I overclock, need
only one PATA header,I'd like 6 SATA headers, the latest NVIDIA chipset and
the onboard sound is fine. I'm thinking about either the 6000, 6400 or the
Quad and 2 GB Corsair on 32bit Vista Business.
I checked NewEgg, TigerDirect and done some other research, but I'm still a
little confused. I was thinking of Intel, but for the midrange stuff that I
do I haven't seen any performance gain.
Any help would be appreciated.

john

[email protected] December 1st 07 07:47 AM

Mobo Recommendation

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 01:27:28 GMT, "name" wrote:

I need an AM2 mobo recommendation.
I'm a PC tech, I don't need SLI (I'm not a gamer), but I overclock, need
only one PATA header,I'd like 6 SATA headers, the latest NVIDIA chipset and
the onboard sound is fine. I'm thinking about either the 6000, 6400 or the
Quad and 2 GB Corsair on 32bit Vista Business.
I checked NewEgg, TigerDirect and done some other research, but I'm still a
little confused. I was thinking of Intel, but for the midrange stuff that I
do I haven't seen any performance gain.
Any help would be appreciated.

john

Now you know. Bad time to want AMD isn't it ?.

name[_2_] December 2nd 07 07:21 PM

Mobo Recommendation

Maybe, maybe not. As I said and after doing some more research for my
needs, I'd rather save a few bucks and go with AMD. For midrange, a X2 6000
or 6400 is comparable to a E67xx or E68xx. When Intel puts the memory
controller on the die I'll think about switching. I know it's minor, but I
don't like Intel's quad pumped FSB. Right now, the biggest hindrance to PC
speed is Vista and I'm hoping, as I've read, SP1 will address this.

What I would definiltely stay away from is AMD,s new ATI platform.