HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Presario R3000 and SD cards weirdness (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=155197)

Lukas Louw August 10th 07 08:39 PM

Presario R3000 and SD cards weirdness

So I got a new digital camera that uses SD cards, so tried plugging them
into the laptop's card reader, for pic downloading instead of using the
camera's USB cable.

The laptop will recognize the cards and load the drivers, but tells me first
that the disk needs formatting, and when I tell it to format it, tells me
that it cannot be formatted.

The camera, a Canon Powershot SD1000 has no problems storing images, on 2GB
and 4GB SD cards. Downloading with the USB interface also works fine.

Would the camera's formatting be different from what the Presario wants?
Running XP Home.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lukas

BestHomes January 11th 08 05:13 AM

Presario R3000 and SD cards weirdness

It has something to do with the speed of the SD card - too fast?

You need a USB card reader as an interface in order to be able to
transfer photos from SD card to the R3000 using the its SD slot.

John Williamson January 11th 08 05:23 PM

Lukas Louw wrote:
So I got a new digital camera that uses SD cards, so tried plugging them
into the laptop's card reader, for pic downloading instead of using the
camera's USB cable.

The laptop will recognize the cards and load the drivers, but tells me first
that the disk needs formatting, and when I tell it to format it, tells me
that it cannot be formatted.

The camera, a Canon Powershot SD1000 has no problems storing images, on 2GB
and 4GB SD cards. Downloading with the USB interface also works fine.

Would the camera's formatting be different from what the Presario wants?
Running XP Home.

Are you using cards over 2 Gig? Most card readers can't handle anything
over 2 Gig. It's a hardware limitation. You may need to get an external
USB reader that *can* read the SDHC cards. Reading the spec for the
built in reader on your laptop, it only handles SD cards up to 2 Gig in
size. External readers are about a tenner, but may not solve your problem.

After checking, a couple of websites mention that Canon use some strange
format for their memory cards. If it works using the camera as a USB
connected unit, then that may be all you can do.

Sorry I can't help more.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.