HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Zone 2 Too Hot. What is Zone 2? [cooling, over-heating] (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=89121)

Wayne December 22nd 03 08:54 PM

Zone 2 Too Hot. What is Zone 2? [cooling, over-heating]

When rendering Video on an Intel D865PERL with an ATI AIW9000, the Intel
monitor shows "System Zone 2" getting too hot. Since it peaks at 51º and
only lasts for about an hour during rendering, I'm not too worried about
over-heating, but the alarm becomes intrusive. So I have questions.

My system has two case fans, both on the back. There is power supply fan,
and a CPU fan. All four fans are attached to the motherboard. There is a
fifth fan on the Display card.

I'm confused because the Intel monitor only shows 3 zones. All three zones
get warmer during rendering. The "Processor Zone" gets near the Red zone,
but doesn't reach it. The monitor shows three zone temperature meters
"Processor", "System 1", and "System 2". It shows three fans. "Fan 1",
"Fan 2", and "Fan 3".

I added the second case fan hoping to solve the problem, but it didn't make
any difference.

How can I know which fan is associated with which zone?

How can I tell what "System Zone 2" is?

How can I prevent "Zone 2" from getting too hot?

Is there a way to permanently dismiss the alarm? It keeps coming back to
the front and claiming control of the UI.

William G. Anderson December 31st 03 05:11 PM

William G. Anderson wrote:

Wayne:

I have the same motherboard, and the same problem. Different case
(Antec) with two case fans in the back, one on the side, as well as
power supply, video, and cpu fans. I also see the "Zone 2"
temperature get up to about 51 degrees during DVD processing.

Note that there is information on the fans on page 47. I assume that
the fans are shown in active monitor in this order - note that you can
only show three fans that are connected to the 3 motherboard
connections.

Bill Anderson

Aloke Prasad December 31st 03 10:29 PM

"William G. Anderson" wrote in message
William G. Anderson wrote:

Wayne:

I have the same motherboard, and the same problem. Different case
(Antec) with two case fans in the back, one on the side, as well as
power supply, video, and cpu fans. I also see the "Zone 2"
temperature get up to about 51 degrees during DVD processing.

Note that there is information on the fans on page 47. I assume that
the fans are shown in active monitor in this order - note that you can
only show three fans that are connected to the 3 motherboard
connections.

I was thinking of manually stopping the fans (for a second) connected to the
motherboard the next time I open the case. That should settle it as to
which fan is what.

I wish Active Monitor had a way for us to change the labels under the
individual displays ...
--
Aloke
----

William G. Anderson January 2nd 04 01:21 AM

"Aloke Prasad" wrote:

"William G. Anderson" wrote in message
.. .
William G. Anderson wrote:

Wayne:

I have the same motherboard, and the same problem. Different case
(Antec) with two case fans in the back, one on the side, as well as
power supply, video, and cpu fans. I also see the "Zone 2"
temperature get up to about 51 degrees during DVD processing.

Note that there is information on the fans on page 47. I assume that
the fans are shown in active monitor in this order - note that you can
only show three fans that are connected to the 3 motherboard
connections.

I was thinking of manually stopping the fans (for a second) connected to the
motherboard the next time I open the case. That should settle it as to
which fan is what.

I wish Active Monitor had a way for us to change the labels under the
individual displays ...

They Do - go to Options - Set Sensor Thresholds

Bill A

Aloke Prasad January 2nd 04 02:07 AM

William G. Anderson wrote:

I wish Active Monitor had a way for us to change the labels under the
individual displays ...

They Do - go to Options - Set Sensor Thresholds

Dunno how I missed that !

Has anyone figured out the locations of the fan and temperature locations
reported by Active Monitor for the 875PBZ motherboard?

Thanks.

--
Aloke
----

Lance January 2nd 04 03:12 AM

Aloke Prasad wrote:
"William G. Anderson" wrote...
"Aloke Prasad" wrote:

"William G. Anderson" wrote...
William G. Anderson wrote:

I wish Active Monitor had a way for us to change the labels under
the individual displays ...

They Do - go to Options - Set Sensor Thresholds

Dunno how I missed that !

Has anyone figured out the locations of the fan and temperature
locations reported by Active Monitor for the 875PBZ motherboard?

Thanks.

See page 39 of the D875PBZ technical product specification:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/bz_prdoc.htm

Lance
*****

Aloke Prasad January 2nd 04 03:39 AM

"Lance" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Aloke Prasad wrote:
"William G. Anderson" wrote...
"Aloke Prasad" wrote:

"William G. Anderson" wrote...
William G. Anderson wrote:

I wish Active Monitor had a way for us to change the labels under
the individual displays ...

They Do - go to Options - Set Sensor Thresholds

Dunno how I missed that !

Has anyone figured out the locations of the fan and temperature
locations reported by Active Monitor for the 875PBZ motherboard?

Thanks.

See page 39 of the D875PBZ technical product specification:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/bz_prdoc.htm

I am familiar with the locations (on the motherboard) of the fans connectors
and the temperature sensors on this motherboard.

However, Active Monitor doesn't identify these by names (it is probably
designed for numerous boards). It just says

Zone 1
Zone 2
Fan 1
Fan2
Fan3

The manual refers to these by name, e.g. temperature zones on page 80, Fig
27.
So, the question is: When Active Monitor shows me temp Zone 1, is it
Processor voltage regulator area, Intel 82875P MCH, or Intel 82801ER ICH5?

At least we know it's not The Processor area. The Monitor identifies that
one..

The Fan's are easy to identify (by momentarily stopping the fan). How do I
identify temperature zones "Zone 1" and Zone 2" as referred to by the
Monitor?

Heating them with a cigarette lighter would be a bad idea :-)
--
Aloke
----

MyndPhlyp January 2nd 04 04:14 AM

"Aloke Prasad" wrote in message

"Lance" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Aloke Prasad wrote:
"William G. Anderson" wrote...
"Aloke Prasad" wrote:

"William G. Anderson" wrote...
William G. Anderson wrote:

[...]

System Fan 1 = processor fan
System Fan 2 = front fan
System Fan 3 = rear fan

.... unless you have a VREG fan in there in which case I think System Fan 2
ends up being the VREG. According to the configuration information in
Motherboard Monitor, the second fan sensor is the VREG. Active Monitor will
show only those fans connected and number them sequentially regardless of
the sensor order.

Another way you can verify which fan is which - DO NOT tell Active Monitor
to redetect fans, shutdown, temporarily disconnect a fan, start up and run
Active Monitor. Once you determine which fan you disconnected (it'll be the
one with zero RPMs), label it, shut down, reconnect the fan, and fire up
again.

System Zone 1 and System Zone 2 are in close proximity to each other towards
the top of the processor and between the processor and memory. I have yet to
determine which is which and what the difference is between the two. The
documentation doesn't really yield much of a clue.

Lance January 2nd 04 06:14 AM

Aloke Prasad wrote:
"Lance" wrote...

The Fan's are easy to identify (by momentarily stopping the fan).
How do I identify temperature zones "Zone 1" and Zone 2" as referred
to by the Monitor?

Heating them with a cigarette lighter would be a bad idea :-)

You can touch them with a clean dry finger and watch the temperature (in deg
F) change a bit. My monitor identifies Zone 1 as the "Ambient temperature
sensor, internal to hardware monitoring ASIC" as defined in the Tech Prod
Spec.

Lance
*****

William G. Anderson January 3rd 04 02:05 AM

[...]

That depends on the motherboard. On the 865PERL, they are located on
opposite sides of the cpu - with no identification of which is zone 1
and zone 2. When the cpu is actively working, zone 1 stays fairly low
in temperature, while zone 2 heads towards about 51 C.

Bill A.