HardwareBanter

-   -   Part 2 300watt Power Supply (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=150622)

[email protected] May 10th 07 08:20 AM

Part 2 300watt Power Supply

I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my first question. I just opened
the case for the information on the sticker and here it is:
Power Supply

Model ATX 300 - 12z

300w MAX

12,19A, 0.8A
5 30A, +5vsb 2A
33 28A

+5v + 3.3V 180W MAX
5v & +12v 28w Max

Like I said I'd like a decent nvidia video card. Not much on gaming,
however. My current card is a nvidia 7500LE w/256 memory.

Thanks again!

Paul May 10th 07 09:34 AM

Part 2 300watt Power Supply

wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my first question. I just opened
the case for the information on the sticker and here it is:
Power Supply

Model ATX 300 - 12z

300w MAX

12,19A, 0.8A
5 30A, +5vsb 2A
33 28A

+5v + 3.3V 180W MAX
5v & +12v 28w Max

Like I said I'd like a decent nvidia video card. Not much on gaming,
however. My current card is a nvidia 7500LE w/256 memory.

Thanks again!

To answer the question, we still need to see a hardware inventory.

HP model number
Processor speed, amount of cache, socket - i.e. P4 3.06GHz FSB533 512KB L2 S478
# of hard drives
# of optical drives

The HP model number, is so I can look up the motherboard and do some
background checks (like what cards might be usable). The rest of it,
is trying to identify the major consumers of power. You've already
told me you had a 7500LE, so I can look up what kind of power that
used, just for reference. (Not all cards have power numbers, and some
sources of info have disappeared from the web.)

Also, I'm missing the point on the video card upgrade. You say you are
"not much on gaming". What aspect of the card would you like to improve ?
If you are not looking for a "barn burner" of a 3D card, there is quite
a good chance that a low end upgrade will work with your supply.

For example, an X1950Pro is a recent ATI card (a barn burner) that was made
available in AGP form. It uses 65W-70W of power, and would require doing the
calculations to check whether there is enough +12V or not. There are also cards
that might be down at the 16W level, but it is unclear to me how that would be
better than your current card. The new card might support a later version
of DirectX. It might have DVI and VGA connectors. Maybe the fan on your
old card was loud, and you're hoping the new card will be quiet. But
there has to be something in particular you were hoping to get from this.

Also, in the above label info you've copied:

+12V @ 19A, -12V @ 0.8A,
+5V @ 30A, +5VSB @ 2A
+3.3V @ 28A

+5v + 3.3V 180W MAX (this seems reasonable)
5v & +12v 28w Max (this one must be a typo - do you mean 280W ?)

You can look at this for some background info. I assume the 7500LE is AGP
and this discusses AGP upgrading. The second link is some benchmarks, so
you can compare potential gaming performance (3D performance). On 2D
performance, people don't benchmark that anymore, on the assumption that
all cards are relatively the same. (Which is why I'm asking what you hope
to get from the upgrade. The 2D might be a little faster, but I have no
way to compare and tell you by how much.) The third link is missing a few
cards, but gives parameters for the various cards.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/

Something like this won't use too much power. I would think a swap of
this for the 7500LE would be about equal on power. The only gotcha
with cards like this one, is they have a Molex 1x4 connector (same as
is used on a disk drive) on the end of the video card. You have to plug
in a disk drive power connector, to get the video card to work. For a
card like this, not a lot of amperes will be drawn. You can get a "Y"
cable from Radio Shack, to turn a single disk drive cable, into two
connectors. The wires aren't that long though.

CHAINTECH GSA73GT GeForce 7300GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X $100

Also, video cards like this, sometimes use an undersized cooler, and
then the fan has to run faster and louder to do its job. With the
HSI bridge chip (small heatsink near the AGP connector), that chip can
make it hard to find a quieter aftermarket replacement cooler. In the
reviews, nobody mentioned the fan as being loud, so maybe that card
is OK, and you won't have to search for a replacement cooler soon
after you get the card.

Paul

[email protected] May 10th 07 10:10 AM

Part 2 300watt Power Supply

[...]

================================================== ===========================

On 10-May-2007, Paul wrote:

HP model number Pavillion a1620y

Processor speed, Pentium 4 3.06 Mhz amount of cache
S478
# of hard drives 1 hardrive
# of optical drives DVD burner, CD Player

2Gb memory

Motherboard Asterope3-GL8E

The 7500LE is a PCI 16e not AGP

I just wanted something decent. When I bought this the 7500LE was all HP
offered. I don't want/need a 'barnburner' just something better.

Thank you very much for all your help! I will check out the info you took
the time send me.
Mike

[email protected] May 10th 07 10:14 AM

Part 2 300watt Power Supply

Paul,

I was looking at these at Egghead:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814133172
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814141031

Paul May 10th 07 02:44 PM

Part 2 300watt Power Supply

On 10-May-2007, Paul wrote:

HP model number Pavillion a1620y

Processor speed, Pentium 4 3.06 Mhz amount of cache
S478
# of hard drives 1 hardrive
# of optical drives DVD burner, CD Player

2Gb memory

Motherboard Asterope3-GL8E

The 7500LE is a PCI 16e not AGP

I just wanted something decent. When I bought this the 7500LE was all HP
offered. I don't want/need a 'barnburner' just something better.

Thank you very much for all your help! I will check out the info you took
the time send me.
Mike

The 7500LE part number, was used for an ATI card years ago. That is why
I got confused about your card being AGP. If you look in Google, there
are very few references to the 7500LE PCI Express. It doesn't appear to be a
retail card, and I don't have any data on it. I think I may have seen
it mentioned in a news article, but I cannot find a reference to it now.
It is not listed here for example. I'd prefer to know the specs for the
7500LE, or see some benchmarks, just to see if the card I recommend, is
an actual upgrade or not.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

This seems to have the same specs as the power supply you listed.
+5 and +12 combined limit 288W.

http://www.power-on.com/atx12vhp300bt.html

Well, the article here lists your processor as a Pentium 4 3Ghz, so I guess
it could be something like a 530. I checked a few of the 3GHz processors in
the P4 section on processorfinder.intel.com and they all weigh in around
84W, so that is what I'll use for a power estimate.

http://www.epinions.com/Hewlett_Pack...ay_~full_specs

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL7KK

(84W/12V) * (1/0.90) = 7.78 amps from the 12V rail.
(assumes Vcore switcher is 90% efficient)

Hard drive 12V @ 0.6A while mostly idle.
CD/DVD 12V @ 1.5A with media in drive - I'll assume one drive occupied
Cooling fans - I use 12V @ 0.5A to cover three average fans.

So far, without considering the video, the power from the 12V rail
is 7.78A + 0.6A + 1.5A + 0.5A = 10.38 amps. There is 19A max on the
supply, so that leaves 8.62 amps of capacity. You should be able to
run a pretty impressive video card with that. Even if I allocate 3A
of unused capacity, that is still 5.62A to play with, times 12V, that
is 67.4W.

There is a selection of cards that were measured for their power
consumption here (07/30/2006).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...wer-noise.html

You could actually use a 7900GT if you want. Xbitlabs lists
that as roughly 48W or 12V @ 4A. The problem with the 7900GT
is it looks like the supply has dried up at retail. The replacements
are a bit more power hungry.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video...ise/7900gt.gif

The 7600GT follows a fine tradition of midrange performance.
It uses 12V @ 3A, and appears to draw all its power from the
PCI Express slot. So you don't even need to connect a power
cable to the end of the card.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video...ise/7600gt.gif

OK, we plug in the 7600GT, and do a final total power check.
The three items on the end, account for the controller boards
on the storage devices, and for the standby power rail.

12V * (10.38A + 3.0A) + 50W (motherboard) + (2*7.5W CDROM) + (5W HDD) + (5W on 5VSB)
= 160.56 + 75
= 235.56W

Since the 5V + 12V rating is 288W max, you are well under
that, no matter what the 5V load component of the above is.
The "50W" motherboard load, comes from either 3.3V or
5V, and it is not possible to calculate exactly which
would be used. But considering the ratings of the supply,
the above loads are not making a dent there anyway.

So you can at least have a 7600GT if you want it. Even a
7900GT would be an option, because Xbitlabs rates it as
48 watts. The 7900GTX is 84W or 12V @ 7A, and that is
cutting it close.

If you have a radically different processor than the one
I selected, you'll have to factor that into the simplified
calculation above.

Paul

Paul May 10th 07 03:08 PM

Part 2 300watt Power Supply

Paul wrote:

There are a few more power numbers here. I don't know how high
you want to go pricewise.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...e7950gt_3.html

Paul

[email protected] May 10th 07 08:58 PM

Part 2 300watt Power Supply

Thank you very much for all your help! I have a lot to decide on.

Thanks again.

don't look[_2_] May 11th 07 11:55 PM

Part 2 300watt Power Supply

How 'bout this one?12v 18A

m...

Paul May 12th 07 02:43 AM

Part 2 300watt Power Supply

don't look wrote:
How 'bout this one?12v 18A

Yes, a 7600GT should fit the bill. Checking the reviews will give
some idea as to how many have failed, how loud the fan is, etc.
I'd prefer the 7600GT, to a 7300 series. And $90 after rebate
isn't bad.

Paul