HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   RAID0 Array in Disk Manager (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=17710)

HMSDOC November 2nd 03 06:43 PM

RAID0 Array in Disk Manager

I have never set up a RAID array before and, using the Silicon Image chip on
the Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard, I have set up a striped array composed of two
36 GB Raptors. The Intel chip is being used for a separate non-RAID boot disc
for the OS. During OS installation I created a partition for the RAID array so
that there are 2 volumes. All appears well. In the Windows XP Disk Manager
the RAID array appears as a sigle 'virtual disc' of 72 GB with 2 volumes. I
have not yet formatted the array and it appears in the Disk Manager as a "Basic
Disk" as opposed to "Dynamic". Is this correct, or should it be a "dynamic"
disk to function correctly? Also, can it just be formatted in the routine way,
by right clicking on the volumes in Disk manager and just clicking to format
the volume in NTFS?

Thanks.

Howard