HardwareBanter

-   Cdr (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Confused and frustrated by DVD/RAM drivers and software (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=26788)

Purple June 27th 04 07:01 AM

Confused and frustrated by DVD/RAM drivers and software

I wanted to do nightly backups and decided to try a DVD/RAM drive
instead of a DVD/RW one. My W2K system was stable and bug free. I had
Nero installed and an NEC ND-2500A DVD/RW drive. Life was good...

Then I swapped my regular DVD/RW drive with a GSA-4082B from LG in
order to do DVD/RAM discs and my problems started. My main PC use is
games and I started to get crashes to the desktop in Thief3. Since it
is a new game i assumed the problem was Thief, but now i get the same
crashes from Age of Wonders, which i regularly played for hours
without a crash. KOTOR wont even load because of some disc emulation
error... Since my system was rock solid before the LG drive, i feel
the problems must be related to that change.

When i switched drives, the LG drive worked without changing any
software (Nero and drivers from my previous DVD drive worked). Then i
installed the LG software (which created a "Removeable Disc" drive),
formatted a DVD/RAM disc in UDF, and copied data there. At some point,
the device driver stopped workign and gave me an Error 31 so i tried
the BHA advice and removed Nero and the device and reinstalled it --
at this point the drive stopped showing up at all! I was able to
reinstall the drive using the windows generic CDROM drivers and i
removed the BHA software but the removable disc still shows up and the
drive continues to work - which confuses me. (Sorry if this is a
little confusing - i have worked on this for several days and have
tried so many thigns, i forget the exact order).

In trying to debug this problem I am totally confused about what
software i really need in order to do DVD/RAM discs. I had Nero 6
Ultra with inCD (a half dozen small programs) and LG included its own
software and driver from BHA which is another 6 programs (Power DVD,
Power Producer Gold, Recorder Gold, CLiP, and "DVD RAM Driver").
Windows also has its own drivers, circa 1999. Do i need a burner
program and a driver or just a driver? The BHA website implies that it
has problems with its software and 3rd party programs like Nero...

At this point, the DVD Drive shows up as a "compact disc" in windows
explorer, both as a Disk Drive and DVD/CD ROM Drive under the
PRoperties-Hardware tab and i have no software from LG or Nero
installed yet the drive works...

If anyone can explain some of this, i would really appreciate it.

smh June 27th 04 08:30 AM

' --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?

Purple wrote:

[...]

How about a fresh install of Win2k? And install only the programs that
came with the LG -- without Nero/InCD? (InCD and B's CLiP should not be
installed together as both are packet writers.)

If reinstall of win2k is not an option, try uninstall Nero/InCD, run
Nero Clean Tool, uninstall/reinstall Recorder Gold/B's CLiP.

Nero Clean Tool:
http://www.nero.com/us/ns4_631940828445001.html