HardwareBanter

-   -   screen flashes to black every once in a while (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=55383)

Jason Gallas October 7th 04 05:31 PM

screen flashes to black every once in a while

I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
website.

Now my system flashes to black every now and then. I did a google
search and a website suggested completely uninstalling the old driver
in safe mode and then rebooting and installing cleanly. They also
mentioned a utility to uninstall.

Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
flashing black be caused by something else?

CapFusion October 7th 04 06:40 PM

"Jason Gallas" wrote in message
I have upgraded my video card from a PNY GeForce FX 5500 to a PNY
GeForce FX 5900. I just took the old card out, put the new one in and
booted up. I then re-installed the 61.77 drivers from Nvidia's
website.

Now my system flashes to black every now and then. I did a google
search and a website suggested completely uninstalling the old driver
in safe mode and then rebooting and installing cleanly. They also
mentioned a utility to uninstall.

Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
flashing black be caused by something else?

Try unisntall and or use DriverCleaner -
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

When you uninstall from Add/Remove Program, make sure you remove everything
when prompt.

I do not understand your last paragraph.
****
Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
flashing black be caused by something else?
****
Can you clarify / rephrase this?
Do you mean, if this problem would happen to nvidia type of cards?

CapFusion,...

Jason Gallas October 7th 04 08:29 PM

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:40:51 -0700, "CapFusion"
wrote:

:
.. .
:****
: Is there such a thing for Nvidia cards, and if not what is the best
: procedure for this? Also, could these problems with the screen
: flashing black be caused by something else?

What I meant was, is there an uninstall utility specifically for
Nvidia cards. I suppose it dosen't matter because there is a driver
cleaner available that will work on Nvidia and other cards.

I was wondering if the screen flashing could be a result of something
else I missed in the configuration of my machine.

CapFusion October 7th 04 08:55 PM

wrote:

:
[...]

Again, did you try uninstall or use DriverCleaner and see if this problem
remain?
To verify if it a hardware issue, you can try putting onto another PC and
see if have the same problem.

CapFusion,...

Jason Gallas October 7th 04 09:10 PM

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:55:12 -0700, "CapFusion"
wrote:

:
:"Jason Gallas" wrote in message
.. .
: On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:40:51 -0700, "CapFusion"
: wrote:
:
: :
: .. .
: :****
[...]

Not yet, at work now...will try this evening :)

Kevin October 9th 04 02:10 AM

Does it happen when you right-click on a video file? If so, have a
look at Shadow78's posts on this thread:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthr...=117062&page=1

It worked for me. Might be worth a look even if it's happening under
different circumstances on your machine. You can isolate the issue by
starting the computer in Safe Mode. If the problem is not apparent,
then it's more than likely a driver issue.

I first saw this behavior when beta testing Windows XP SP2. Of course
I blamed the SP, but apparently that's not the case.

Kevin

Jason Gallas October 9th 04 03:45 AM

wrote:

:
[...]

I tried all that and the problem is still occuring. It happens a lot
when I resize windows from minimized to max size.

Jason Gallas October 9th 04 03:45 AM

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 01:10:36 GMT, Kevin
wrote:

Does it happen when you right-click on a video file? If so, have a
look at Shadow78's posts on this thread:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthr...=117062&page=1

It worked for me. Might be worth a look even if it's happening under
different circumstances on your machine. You can isolate the issue by
starting the computer in Safe Mode. If the problem is not apparent,
then it's more than likely a driver issue.

I first saw this behavior when beta testing Windows XP SP2. Of course
I blamed the SP, but apparently that's not the case.

No, I havent even run any video files yet.

Jason Gallas October 9th 04 03:46 AM

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:19:02 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

An underpowered/unstable power supply unit would also cause that.

Well, it's a pretty new antec power supply. It's 350W and I don't
have much running on my system now so I don't think that could be it.